What Happens to Iowa-ISU Rivalry if Nebraska is in Big 10?

Something tells me Nebby will, at least at first, consider Iowa a rival about as much as PSU has considered Iowa a rival. However, I expect that to change with some Iowa victories in the series.

I just think we should all thank our lucky stars that KF is our coach through this period. With all the changes, the wrong leader right now could be a disaster.

Wrong. If Nebraska joins the Big 10...who else would be their number 1 rival? I am sure most Cornhusker fans would tell you it would be Iowa.

Would Iowa want to have a potentially 5th "rival" game by playing ISU? We could realistically be playing Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin every year and maybe even Illinois. I would say just drop the Clown game - they need us more than we need them. Or, maybe, force the Clowns to come to Kinnick every year. :)

The series has to end. I never liked the series but I will admit I'm from Chicago so beating Iowa State means nothing for me. Now with Iowa State going to the MWC or another conference, this will be the biggest game by far for Iowa State so that they can say they beat a BCS team, plus to say they beat Iowa. The series is already a no win situation for Iowa but it becomes a much bigger no win series when Iowa State is not even in a BCS conference.

End the series. Iowa-ISU divides the state. Iowa will have enough border rivals from now on with Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Missouri, not to mention NOTRE DAME. 6 rivalry games is enough!

Last edited:
Illinois doesn't play Northern Illinois every year. Ohio doesn't play Toledo every year. I think if ISU drops to a mid major, there is just not a logical way to keep this as an every year game. If they go to the MWC and that becomes an AQ conference then I would change my mind.

Does Colorado play CO State every year, maybe it would end up kinda like that if they do but I am really not sure.

The Cy-Hawk trophy turns into this...

CyHawkPlaque.jpg

If NE, Missouri, and ND join the Big 10 the Iowa/Clown game becomes totally irrelevant. Iowa will have three new teams in the Big 10 and two of those will be border games IN the Big 10. The clown game will mean nothing compared to those games.

But if Nebraska joins the Big Ten, which I think could happen soon, the intensity of the Cy-Hawk rivalry will likely diminish in the eyes of Iowa fans…however, I think it would heat up even more in the eyes of ISU fans, as if they joined a revamped Mountain West, the Iowa game would be one of their rare annual games against one of the ‘big boys’ from a super-conference…

Agreed … we always thought of ISU in the same light as UNI when I was a kid growing up N of the QC. Moving to a new conference with the Big XII leftovers and the cream of the M-West would only solidify that feeling.

I'm sorry but I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Iowa doesn't own Iowa State in the way that some of you wish they did. It's not like when Iowa/ISU lace them up on the football field Iowa wins the game by 28+ points. The series/rivalry won't die with or without Nebraska in the mix.

As an ISU fan, I have been in favor of getting rid of the annual football game even before all of the expansion/realignment talk. I say that, because the vocal minority of ISU fans think playing Iowa is their Super Bowl. The rational and quiet majority are people that just want to win games, regardless of who they're playing. I would take losing to Iowa every year if it meant ISU went 11-1 every time. Unfortunately, there are some ISU fans that are so obsessed with beating Iowa that the perception is that's the only thing all ISU fans care about. Knowing many rational ISU fans feel the same way I do, which is the rivalry game could be gone tomorrow and we'd be fine with it, that perception of it being our Super Bowl isn't accurate for the majority.

So, when the Big 12 blows up and ISU is looking for a conference that will take them, I'll actually be glad if the Iowa/ISU game goes away in the process.

Art

I have been a Hawk fan since I was 5(23 years ago). I started disliking this rivalry in the mid 90's. It was irrelevant then and yes it did manage to change things for us in two seasons since then but notice the words "us". It can only hurt us and in those two seasons boosted ISU up and they proceeded to have decent seasons(for them anyway). People from the B10 always wonder why that is a game for us but they don't realize that ISU plays tough in those games while the Hawks have in the past just considered it another game. That's the difference right there. It means too much to one side and very little to the other. I want the game gone asap. Just my opinion but I don't see any benefits of playing these guys until a win over them actually means we can move up in the polls. It's not our fault that ISU struggles in the Big12...it's thier problem. Until they can manage to at least be considered a decent team year in and out to anyone else but themselves then maybe it will be worth something more. There is no sense in playing a team that is supposed to be a cupcake(to everybody else) but plays with fire against UI. We just don't care enough...and it's not our fault...it's ISU's.

Wrong. If Nebraska joins the Big 10...who else would be their number 1 rival? I am sure most Cornhusker fans would tell you it would be Iowa.

Many Nebraska fans would agree that Iowa would become a main rival but there are a lot of Nebraska fans seem to think that Ohio State will be their number 1 rival because of course that is the only team in the Big 10 that is worth of them. They also think that they might be able to stoop to having Penn State and Michigan as rivals because of split NCs but everyone else in the conference is beneath them. I have pretty much stopped posting on the NE boards at all because I don't want to say what I am really thinking in response to much of the arrogance. A few months ago it was pretty tame - but of course that was because many didn't think it would really happen but now that it is looking more and more likely the arrogance is just astounding.

Geez, Jon. That was a serious rant that went in all sorts of directions. From you moving to Iowa to eating out with your family to thoughts on NW rivalry to thinking Nebraska is joining the Big Ten 5 times. As for the rivalry, its not going anywhere, if anything its only going to get more heated as an ISU team in the MWC would be even more of an underdog than they have been previously. The little sister syndrome would only be intensified. I don't think ISU fans are gonna hate Iowa any less because Nebraska joins the Big Ten. And Iowa fans, we have bigger fish to fry each year.

The IA-ISU game would still be big. Lots of Hawk fans like to say it doesn't matter right now, but the excitement in the stadium is higher for ISU than most conference games. Northwestern? While they've been a great game recently, and they've had our number, people don't head to Kinnick with excitement for NW. (that said, I can't wait to drive to Evanston this year to watch the Hawks kick some arse)

This is how I see the rivalries rank going forward (and Iowa is going to lead the world in border rivals):

Nebraska
Wisconsin
ISU
Minnesota
Mizzou
Illinois

I think it would be more like this.

1. Nebraska-both teams fans dislike for each other would make outsiders think we play every year already and that it actually means a title or something...this would definitley become a huge game every year for the B10.

Illinois(29-38-2)(5-3 under Ferentz)-they hate us and in return we hate them...I think they are jealous of what we do with what we have every year and how little they do with what they think is better talent than us.

Wisconsin(42-40-2)(6-5 under Ferentz)-too much mutual respect for us to really hate each other or this one would be higher. Wisky is more than worthy to be a great rival with us.

Minnesota(42-58-2)(8-3 under Ferentz)-they hate us so much that we consider it a rivalry. Plus the history with this team gains it credibility almost immediatley. If Minny was better this game would be bigger now like it was back in the 90's and early 2000's(Mason days).

ISU(36-16-0)(5-6 under Ferentz)-rivals because we have to be apparently. They have helped ruin our season twice but considering how many times we have played that really isn't saying much. We pretty much own the record and that is with thier recent upswing against us and the fact that Ferentz didn't seem to care until recently. I doubt we will lose to ISU again under Ferentz. Time to be gone with this one. Lose-lose situation and has been for quite a long time IMO.

Many Nebraska fans would agree that Iowa would become a main rival but there are a lot of Nebraska fans seem to think that Ohio State will be their number 1 rival because of course that is the only team in the Big 10 that is worth of them. They also think that they might be able to stoop to having Penn State and Michigan as rivals because of split NCs but everyone else in the conference is beneath them. I have pretty much stopped posting on the NE boards at all because I don't want to say what I am really thinking in response to much of the arrogance. A few months ago it was pretty tame - but of course that was because many didn't think it would really happen but now that it is looking more and more likely the arrogance is just astounding.

I can def. see Nebby and PSU hitting it off quickly...but for them to think that they will compete very often with OSU is ridiculous. OSU will take them out AT LEAST 3 games out of every five. The record would IMO be 4/5 in favor of OSU.

I think it would be more like this.

1. Nebraska-both teams fans dislike for each other would make outsiders think we play every year already and that it actually means a title or something...this would definitley become a huge game every year for the B10.

Illinois(29-38-2)(5-3 under Ferentz)-they hate us and in return we hate them...I think they are jealous of what we do with what we have every year and how little they do with what they think is better talent than us.

Wisconsin(42-40-2)(6-5 under Ferentz)-too much mutual respect for us to really hate each other or this one would be higher. Wisky is more than worthy to be a great rival with us.

Minnesota(42-58-2)(8-3 under Ferentz)-they hate us so much that we consider it a rivalry. Plus the history with this team gains it credibility almost immediatley. If Minny was better this game would be bigger now like it was back in the 90's and early 2000's(Mason days).

ISU(36-16-0)(5-6 under Ferentz)-rivals because we have to be apparently. They have helped ruin our season twice but considering how many times we have played that really isn't saying much. We pretty much own the record and that is with thier recent upswing against us and the fact that Ferentz didn't seem to care until recently. I doubt we will lose to ISU again under Ferentz. Time to be gone with this one. Lose-lose situation and has been for quite a long time IMO.

I agree with your list but would insert Northwestern ahead of Minnesota. They've had our number recently and their uncalled facemask on Stanzi pulled him back in an awkward way and contributed to his season-ending injury. The fumble/recovery TD should have been nullified with us getting the ball at the 15; only speculation whether we would have gone on to win.

I'm also beginning to strongly dislike Fitzgerald and his antics along the sidelines. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm sorry but I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Iowa doesn't own Iowa State in the way that some of you wish they did. It's not like when Iowa/ISU lace them up on the football field Iowa wins the game by 28+ points. The series/rivalry won't die with or without Nebraska in the mix.

You're right, they only win by 32. :D

By the responses it appears you are the only one that thinks this won't die. I think it is a no brainer that Nebraska would turn into a bigger rival than ISU currently is, just because it will mean more as a conference game.

I can def. see Nebby and PSU hitting it off quickly...but for them to think that they will compete very often with OSU is ridiculous. OSU will take them out AT LEAST 3 games out of every five. The record would IMO be 4/5 in favor of OSU.

But this is what I mean. I would think, at first, Nebby would think of us as a slightly better ISU. Nebby is NOT going to come into the league thinking they are finally getting a replacement for their storied rivalry with OU.

At best, we will be perceived as a suitable replacement for Colorado.

Believe me guys, they don't think much of us.