What Happens to Iowa-ISU Rivalry if Nebraska is in Big 10?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is something I have wanted to talk about on my radio show Monday and Tuesday, but we were unable to get around to it. We will still talk about it, but I want to write about it in the mean time.

If the Big 12 folds, and Iowa State is left behind (which seems plausible to likely), and joins a conference like say, a retooled Mountain West, what does that do to the Cy-Hawk Rivalry?

On it’s face, perhaps not much..but we need another component to the scenario to make it cook a little bit: What if the Big Ten invites Nebraska and Missouri to the league?

I think all three of these scenarios are not just possible but have some gravity to them…meaning, they are not far fetched..then again in today’s expansion debate climate, nothing seems too crazy.

I think there is a chance that by next week at this time, the Big Ten will have invited at least one new team to the league. That could end up being Notre Dame and leaving it at that, however that seems more remote. That could end up being an invite (and acceptance of the invite) to Nebraska…and then likely Missouri, if not in concert with one another.

I’d say that’s the more likely scenario. I totally believe that Nebraska and Missouri have been vetted by some persons unofficially representing the Big Ten, and I don’t care if Jim Delaney denies it. I don’t believe the 810 WHB report from May was some snipe hunt, and the emails that came out between Delaney and Ohio State’s president confirm that not everything Delaney told the media back in mid-May was 100% accurate.

I’ve even received a few emails from Nebraska partisans that have said the Huskers were extended an invitation last night (Monday, June 7th) but I have zero corroboration on that, so I am NOT saying I think that happened…just more smoke in the system to wade through.

BUT…I do think that there is a decent chance that Nebraska is going to be the first school to join the new Big Ten. If that happens, I think the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry as we know it will forever be changed.

Those of you reading this item that live out of state, or even in eastern Iowa, you may not care all that much or you may not think it’s a big deal.
However, those of you reading this item in central Iowa, which is about 25 to 30 percent of you, you understand that living in the 515 makes this rivalry altogether something different and unique for you pretty much every day of the year.
Before I moved to Des Moines, I really didn’t get it. I grew up in eastern Iowa (West Branch) and there were a handful of Iowa State fans. Iowa was also starting its 15 year winning streak against the Clones on the gridiron. There wasn’t any smack talk and there were no message boards as Al Gore had not yet invented the Internet.

More recently, I lived in Kansas City (back in the mid to late 1990’s and from 2002-2005) and while I did come across some ISU fans, things were pretty tame because we focused more on being fellow Iowans in the middle of KC than we did our school’s identities.

I had friends that lived in Des Moines that told me “Try living up here, then you will understand.”

We moved to West Des Moines in May of 2005 and have been here ever since and I hope to never leave. I love it here, love living in the state of Iowa (for at least nine months out of the year) and it’s great.

The fan rivalry with Iowa State is also quite a bit of fun and only rarely annoying…such as when a few ISU fans have run smack at me when I have been out eating dinner with my family…but most of the interactions have been good natured, even when I have walked through the parking lots of Jack Trice Stadium before and Iowa-ISU football game.

However, I have always said that a conference game against Northwestern is more important than an out of conference game against Iowa State, because the conference game goes in the hunt for the championship column, whereas a loss to Iowa State doesn’t necessarily take you out of the BCS Bowl picture, as we saw in 2002.

If Nebraska joins the Big Ten, what you have is a border state rival, one that many Iowa fans view with some degree of contempt to begin with, that is also in your same league.

There is a good number of Husker fans that live in the Des Moines metro. I think the Hawkeye-Husker rivalry would take up more air time in Des Moines sports talk radio circles than the Cyclone-Husker build up, because that series has hardly been a rivalry over the past…well….forever.

Iowa State has six wins against Nebraska since 1961. That series is as closely contested as Iowa’s series is against Ohio State; the Hawkeyes have beaten the Buckeyes just seven times since 1959. I don’t know about you, but I would hardly refer to Iowa’s series with Ohio State as a rivalry.

I think the Nebraska fans in central Iowa would rise up and begin calling talk shows with more fervor and frequency. I think Iowa fans in central Iowa will respond in kind, and I think that over time, the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry will fall back a few notches. I think that over time, the Iowa-Nebraska game would mean more annually to Iowa fans than the Iowa-Iowa State game. Being that it would be an annual conference home and home game (likely), it might not take much time at all for that game to overtake the Cy-Hawk game.
In eastern Iowa, where the Cy-Hawk game is on the radar but is not at the boiling point like it is in the close confines of central Iowa, I think that might happen almost instantly given the conference tie in. The Iowa-Nebraska game would also become the hottest ticket every other year for an Iowa home game, period…and the Nebraska fans would have a lot to do with that.
If this came to pass, it would be great if the Nebraska and Iowa State games could be played in Kinnick in separate seasons; one year Iowa State is in town, the next year Nebraska is in town.

Then if Missouri is also added to the mix, I don’t think it would take too much time before bad blood between our two states would fester and that game would become another great rivalry…which could diminish the Iowa-Iowa State game even more.

I have said for years that if the Iowa-ISU game went away, it wouldn’t be all bad. I would miss the smack talk and the year round fun we have with it in central Iowa, but Iowa always has everything to lose and little to gain in that game. If they win, they are supposed to win. If they lose, it’s “What’s wrong with Iowa?” People on the outside don’t understand the dynamics of it, even when they have fierce rivals on their schedule.

But if Nebraska joins the Big Ten, which I think could happen soon, the intensity of the Cy-Hawk rivalry will likely diminish in the eyes of Iowa fans…however, I think it would heat up even more in the eyes of ISU fans, as if they joined a revamped Mountain West, the Iowa game would be one of their rare annual games against one of the ‘big boys’ from a super-conference…

Last edited:
The Iowa/Iowa State rivalry will never die. Will it take a little bit of a backseat to Nebraska/Iowa? Yes, but Nebby/Iowa won't overtake it as far as rivalries are due to the fact that Iowa/Iowa State fans live, eat, work, go to church with eachother right now and frankly, there aren't that many Husker fans in the state. Iowa and Iowa State will take a little hit but it will never fall out of relevance for Iowans.

Good question and arguments. IMHO if Nebraska joins the Big 10 and we play them regularly, that instantly is a bigger rivalry than Iowa State. Mizzou has that potential, too, although I think most Hawkeye fans have a much bigger dislike for the Huskers for a variety of reasons. Nebby seems a bigger competitor for Iowa's top football preps than Mizzou or even ISU.

Good question and arguments. IMHO if Nebraska joins the Big 10 and we play them regularly, that instantly is a bigger rivalry than Iowa State. Mizzou has that potential, too, although I think most Hawkeye fans have a much bigger dislike for the Huskers for a variety of reasons. Nebby seems a bigger competitor for Iowa's top football preps than Mizzou or even ISU.

I don't think you are taking into account the fact that Iowa and Iowa State fans live, eat, work, go to church, kids games, etc with eachother and that right there will make sure the rivalry never dies.

The Iowa/Iowa State rivalry will never die.[B/] Will it take a little bit of a backseat to Nebraska/Iowa? Yes, but Nebby/Iowa won't overtake it as far as rivalries are due to the fact that Iowa/Iowa State fans live, eat, work, go to church with eachother right now and frankly, there aren't that many Husker fans in the state. Iowa and Iowa State will take a little hit but it will never fall out of relevance for Iowans.

Right, that 33 year hiatus from '34-'77 doesn't indicate that the rivalry can disappear at all. Iowa-ISU will never fall out of relevance for ISU fans. It's ALREADY irrelevant for a lot of Iowa fans, and rivalries with Mizzou and Nebraska would put it away, not to mention the possibility of also adding Notre Dame. Those would make for 3 new, exciting rivalries, on top of the most closely contested rivalry in all of CFB (Iowa leads Wisconsin 42-41-2), Minnesota, and a budding rivalry with Penn State. You're going to tell me that Iowa fans will take Iowa State seriously? Please.

I've never felt the Iowa/Iowa State football game benefited either school. Sure the money stays in the state and is of particular interest in central Iowa, but has less significance than a conference game for either school. Looking back at history it was a few prominent people in DM that wanted to satisfy their egos that promoted the renewal of the series. It limits ISU and Iowa in scheduling out of conference opponents so we get stuck with the same old same old.

But if Nebraska joins the Big Ten, which I think could happen soon, the intensity of the Cy-Hawk rivalry will likely diminish in the eyes of Iowa fans…however, I think it would heat up even more in the eyes of ISU fans, as if they joined a revamped Mountain West, the Iowa game would be one of their rare annual games against one of the ‘big boys’ from a super-conference…

This is how it will pan out if the BigXII explodes and NU joins the BigTen.

If ISU finds its self in the "new MWC" then it had better take a hard look at Boise State and what they've done to make their football program into one of the best in the country.

If the series between Iowa and ISU is continued, I can still see some competitive game coming out of the matchup. Especially if the clones can muster up a Boise St. type of team year-in-year-out. This wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

From someone from the 515....

F*** Nebraska, and the fruitoloom wearing, boat racing, necks that come from there! When their dreams of joining the Big10 fall through, they can all go back to Lincoln, and take your afternoon giggly co worker with them!

That's all I really have to say about that....

I would hate to see the series go away as I live up in NE Iowa and we still out number the ISU fans there is enough of them to create some friendly banter.

What rivalry? I'm not trying to be a smartass here just pointing out the obvious. The only real rivalry between the two schools is in wrestling. When Iowa plays ISU in football every year we are expected to win. In fact, a win for Iowa really isn't that big of a deal but a loss is devastating. A win for ISU is like Christmas Day came early to them but a loss is more ho hum, we'll get 'em next year type of thing.

Iowa does not take ISU seriously. It may have been different in the past when recruiting between the two schools involved more Iowa high school players but only 42 of the 98 players on each of Iowa's and ISU's roster are in fact from Iowa. Back in the day I'm sure that number was much, much higher and therefore the kids probably played against each other during their high school days and the rivalries started early. Do you really think that more than 50% of each roster really cares that Ames is 100 miles away? I don't. Just another non-conference game that we are expected to win.

I don't think it would lose intensity. If ISU goes to the MWC or something similar it might after 20 years, when kids growing up now who might have become ISU fans become Iowa fans because they are in in bigger, more important conference.

I don't think it would lose intensity. If ISU goes to the MWC or something similar it might after 20 years, when kids growing up now who might have become ISU fans become Iowa fans because they are in in bigger, more important conference.

Well the MWC is the best ISU can hope for if the Big 12 implodes. The Big Ten and Pac-10 won't want them. Iowa State will become a lot like UNI is now: a second team that's fun to root for after Iowa (not for fans who pay attention right now, but future fans won't razz ISU the way we do now. There'll be no reason to.).

I don't think you are taking into account the fact that Iowa and Iowa State fans live, eat, work, go to church, kids games, etc with eachother and that right there will make sure the rivalry never dies.

Understood. I just think most Iowa fans would view the Nebby game with excitement as a clash of two (usually) very strong programs, Iowa State not so much. If you've ever lived near or worked with a Husker fan, they are 10x more arrogant and obnoxious than most Cyclone fans. Most remain stuck in the Osborne era and are sure Big Red will one day rise again.

That, with the competition for the top preps in western Iowa, eastern Nebraska, makes Iowa-Nebraska potentially a bigger rivalry than Iowa-Iowa State.

Last edited:
I think Iowa-ISU is still a big game,as it is pre-conference ,and every game is big for Iowa fans. But Neb and Mo games will be better than IU and MSU,imo.

I heard on a KC sports radio show this morning that there is state legislation in place or in the works that would require Iowa and Iowa St. to play each other every year in football. Is that remotely close to being accurate?

The IA-ISU game would still be big. Lots of Hawk fans like to say it doesn't matter right now, but the excitement in the stadium is higher for ISU than most conference games. Northwestern? While they've been a great game recently, and they've had our number, people don't head to Kinnick with excitement for NW. (that said, I can't wait to drive to Evanston this year to watch the Hawks kick some arse)

This is how I see the rivalries rank going forward (and Iowa is going to lead the world in border rivals):

Nebraska
Wisconsin
ISU
Minnesota
Mizzou
Illinois

I heard on a KC sports radio show this morning that there is state legislation in place or in the works that would require Iowa and Iowa St. to play each other every year in football. Is that remotely close to being accurate?

Legislators should focus on the state's budget problems and creating jobs, not meddling in intercollegiate athletics. Any lawmaker who proposes or votes for this should be defeated in the next election.

Something tells me Nebby will, at least at first, consider Iowa a rival about as much as PSU has considered Iowa a rival. However, I expect that to change with some Iowa victories in the series.

I just think we should all thank our lucky stars that KF is our coach through this period. With all the changes, the wrong leader right now could be a disaster.

.........people don't head to Kinnick with excitement for NW.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Along the lines of the topic, the IA/ISU rivalry would be done if Nebraska and Missouri joined the league. I can only speak for myself, but I'm a lot more excited about Big 10 games than I am the ISU game every year. Like Jon points out, an OOC loss doesn't mean nearly as much as a conference loss at the end of the year. I would instantly care more about playing Nebraska and Missouri if they were in our conference over the ISU game, and I think most people would feel that way. I always enjoy beating ISU, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day, I'll take a win over Indiana or jNU anytime over ISU because it keeps us at the top of our conference and in the hunt for something bigger than the ISU win could ever get us.

Latest posts