What happens next year?

Hawkize1

If Iowa has the same type of season as this year? What effect on the program in the long term will another poor showing and a 20 loss season have? Will it have any effect at all?
Will this program reach new lows? Will it be exponentially harder to attract a legit BCS coach? Will it exponentially negatively affect recruiting? What effect will it have on the future attendence, will we consider it good if 4000 people show up? What about the reputation of the school when it comes to the perception of the other Division 1 Basketball programs.
Would making a change at coach, change anything really?
I think it would. The prospect of a new coaching staff would energize the program as well as Hawkeyenation. I think attendence would rebound people would feel a need to get behind a fresh new approach, instead of dreading another long cold winter with nothing to look forward to except shoveling mountains of snow. I know I would feel a sense of excitement over the possibility of an improving squad and an improving fan attitude.
I'm really hoping for a change, but I'm afraid the prospect of a refreshing change is dim!

We basically have a 2-3 year rebuilding process on our hands. In your scenario, if we have a repeat season then Lick should definitely be fired and the process is delayed another year.

So then, I guess what is the benefit of delaying the inevitable for 1 more year?
I don't see any benefit! That's the point of my thread.

Hate to say this, but what difference does it really make if next year is worse than this year? Let ISU get their new coach, let us finish the practice facility, let this recruiting class get a little experience.

Are we going to lose that many more fans? That haven't already given up?

Are the students going to care any less?

Is the reputation of Hawkeye Basketball going to get any worse?

So then, I guess what is the benefit of delaying the inevitable for 1 more year?
I don't see any benefit! That's the point of my thread.

I would say that another year like this one can hardly make it much worse than it is now, so there might actually be more to gain than there is to lose by waiting 1 more year. I'm thinking mainly of the practice facility being done a year from now, and also having a full roster, barring another rash of transfers this year. Plus maybe just the off chance that things actually do turn around next year, although my hope is fading. The new coach would have a little more to work with in those two regards (facilities & roster), so I just think the overall timing next year would be better than it is right now.

The only thing would be if Iowa and ISU are both looking for a new coach next year, I would be so PO'ed if ISU ended up grabbing someone that we wanted!

I agree with Spank though. Another year like this one, and Lickliter will be gone. He'd better be.

I don't see us winning more than 6 Big Ten games at the most. I would love for us to make a big improvement, but honestly who will we be better than next season? At least if we're terrible next year Lick should be shown the door and we can finally get a new coach in here.

Couldn't agree with the OP anymore. What the heck is Barta waiting for? Stevie Wonder can see that this thing is really inevitable. I'll say 85-15 that we are sitting in the same position next year asking, "why didn't they make a move last year"?

I guess it depends on what Barta is looking for. Because he has openly said that he stands behind Lick and believes the program in heading in the right direction. I do think we have seen glimpses, and an influx in talent can only help. But how much?
They're going to be first year players in the system. It's a lot to ask of a first year players to be the saviors. Think of how long it took some guys to come around. Gatens played well from the get-go, but with Fuller it most certainly did, but year two, with May it did, but well into the season,etc.
I do see this team winning more games. It should most definitely impact their early out of conference record for the better. Which is a start, but come conference time...I'm hopeful, but not crazy.
If this team gets to 16,17, 18 wins next year, who knows what Barta will do.

As a Lick supporter, I agree, another year like this one and he would be gone. And rightfully so. With that being said, next year will be better.

As a Lick supporter, I agree, another year like this one and he would be gone. And rightfully so. With that being said, next year will be better.

Assuming everyone comes back. If that doesn't happen, you'd think Barta would have to take a good long look at making a move this spring.

I'm all for giving Lickliter another year to see what he can do with a full roster, but if there is one thing that Iowa can't afford for next season it's another mass exodus like they had last spring.

I guess it depends on what Barta is looking for. Because he has openly said that he stands behind Lick and believes the program in heading in the right direction. I do think we have seen glimpses, and an influx in talent can only help. But how much?
They're going to be first year players in the system. It's a lot to ask of a first year players to be the saviors. Think of how long it took some guys to come around. Gatens played well from the get-go, but with Fuller it most certainly did, but year two, with May it did, but well into the season,etc.
I do see this team winning more games. It should most definitely impact their early out of conference record for the better. Which is a start, but come conference time...I'm hopeful, but not crazy.
If this team gets to 16,17, 18 wins next year, who knows what Barta will do.

If anything, these new guys coming in will provide depth during games, something Iowa hasn't had.

I'm sure that even Lickliter knows that this next season is the year that he must turn that corner or he is gone. That's fair and the best overall approach.

For many of these games,games we are down big by halftime...can we really blame fatigue or lack of bench? In the wisky game, they had the 22-0 run vs our starters,didn't they? And early in the game,before fatigue should set in?
The depth would help us ...no doubt, but if our starters are getting beat,will the frosh come in and reverse that trend ?

I remember in the 2003-05 period when we often only had 6 scholly players, we hung tough in a lot of games,even road games like at Wisky,and were leading thru the first 30 minutes,and the fatigue caught up to us,and we lost in the last 5 minutes.

I just do not see that happening this year...I see us getting beat early and often this year. Unless the frosh are better than our current players, I wonder if they will actually make enough of a diff to get us wins...maybe closer,but actual wins? We will see,I guess.

For many of these games,games we are down big by halftime...can we really blame fatigue or lack of bench? In the wisky game, they had the 22-0 run vs our starters,didn't they? And early in the game,before fatigue should set in?
The depth would help us ...no doubt, but if our starters are getting beat,will the frosh come in and reverse that trend ?

I remember in the 2003-05 period when we often only had 6 scholly players, we hung tough in a lot of games,even road games like at Wisky,and were leading thru the first 30 minutes,and the fatigue caught up to us,and we lost in the last 5 minutes.

I just do not see that happening this year...I see us getting beat early and often this year. Unless the frosh are better than our current players, I wonder if they will actually make enough of a diff to get us wins...maybe closer,but actual wins? We will see,I guess.
I agree, on the road, this has been the case (where the Hawks get way behind by helf time). The home games against Ohio State and Illinois were more like the 2003-05 period that you talked about. I am hoping the depth helps next year - not sure if it will make the team better overall.

Assuming everyone comes back. If that doesn't happen, you'd think Barta would have to take a good long look at making a move this spring.

I'm all for giving Lickliter another year to see what he can do with a full roster, but if there is one thing that Iowa can't afford for next season it's another mass exodus like they had last spring.

I agree with this as well. Obviously there have been rumors of transfers. I have stated all along he cannot lose any core players, i.e. Gatens, Fuller, Cole, May, Payne, Cougill. I have heard Brommer. And although I wouldn't want him to leave, I think we would be OK, adding Archie and Larson. Any of the 6 above any Barta would have to consider a change.

Here's how it can get worse: next year's team will win more pre-conference games and six in the Big10 for a 16 or 17 win season. Then he'll be around for another year because:

1. the team improved
2. don't want to change coaches heading into Gaten-Fuller senior seasons
3. fill in the ____________