What Happens next year?

I think the offense has the potential of being improved next year. Even with Losing Stanzi. Vandy is going to be a good QB. Defense could be a question mark, but Iowa seems to have no problem with reloading the defensive line when studs leave.

I think the offense has the potential of being improved next year. Even with Losing Stanzi. Vandy is going to be a good QB. Defense could be a question mark, but Iowa seems to have no problem with reloading the defensive line when studs leave.

That same offense that scored a COMBINED 35 points against two very bad defenses??? While we have a 5th year SR QB (3-yr starter) and all the offensive weapons at the skill positions? We better steal wisconsins OL if that's going to happen.

I'm expecting 6-6 next year...our D is gonna be a sieve.

JVB will perform at nearly a Stanzi-esque level, but O'Keefe is also going to create a new type of offense, called the HawkCat, with AJ Derby coming in during clutch situations and executing Tebow-esque jump passes and short yardage runs, with the occasional fake run, deep pass to CJ or McNutt mixed in. No defense will be able to stop it, Ferentz will win coach of the year, O'Keefe will get hired to be the head coach of Boise or Oregon, the Hawks will win every game by at least 3 TDs and Iowa will win a national title.

JVB will perform at nearly a Stanzi-esque level, but O'Keefe is also going to create a new type of offense, called the HawkCat, with AJ Derby coming in during clutch situations and executing Tebow-esque jump passes and short yardage runs, with the occasional fake run, deep pass to CJ or McNutt mixed in. No defense will be able to stop it, Ferentz will win coach of the year, O'Keefe will get hired to be the head coach of Boise or Oregon, the Hawks will win every game by at least 3 TDs and Iowa will win a national title.

LOL - the HawkCat...that is awesome!

That same offense that scored a COMBINED 35 points against two very bad defenses??? While we have a 5th year SR QB (3-yr starter) and all the offensive weapons at the skill positions? We better steal wisconsins OL if that's going to happen.

I'm expecting 6-6 next year...our D is gonna be a sieve.

So.....your pretty excited for next year? ;)

On a side note. I am 100% confident Iowa wins this weekend. Iowa 31 OSU 21.

I think Iowa will be fine. However, I think we'll be seeing an upswing in teams across the Big Ten. Last year and this year were, really, our best bet at making it to Pasadena or at least sharing for the Big Ten title. Next year will be tougher, with Michigan perhaps coming back, Nebraska starting Big Ten play, MSU and Wisky being good, Illinois perhaps stepping it up, jNW being jNW, and Purdue and PSU showing promise despite adversity.

This is an Iowa team that has lost...what...nine times since 2008? And never by anything more than 7 points? And that's with the losses of some really good players. I'm not saying we'll necessarily be fantastic, but we've proven in the past few years, we can play with anybody and either win, or stay right in it. We just need that little push and I think we can win the conference soon and head to Pasadena, or maybe even the NCG.

I think the offense will be fine if not better. The key will be the D line and while thye have held their own, statistically they haven't been as scary as we all thought they were going to be. Historically as of late Iowa has reloaded at theDline and I expect the same. There were a lot of young guys who got some great experience on both sides of the ball so we should be fine. If the DB's become better and Vandy steps in we should be fine... Iowa vs OSU in Big 10 Championship.

We will have plenty of talent coming back and there will be no excuse for this team to not be competitive in every game and go to the Outback Bowl next year.

Every team graduates all conference players every year, good teams graduate many of them and they keep being good.

There is no excuse for Iowa to ever have to have a major rebuilding project, and as fans, while we may not be able to ask for more than 8-4 every year, we certainly shouldn't have to accept less.

I think 7-9 wins as I sit here right now.

The offense has a chance to be very productive for the next two years. The offensive line is going to be experienced and bigger. All the RB return. McNutt and Davis, plus the young WR's in the program...CJ Fed and Herman at TE. JVB at QB.

DL is where the biggest drop in production comes, as well as punter.

But this is going to be a team that is in a lot of close games against next season. Could be like 2001, or like this year is going, or they could win them.

I'll take a closer look at Iowa's opponents for next year and what they return in December and January.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jared Crick turn pro for Nebraska.

To say the defense will be a sieve is a bit much IMO. Daniels and Binns return. Yes, Klug, Ballard and Clayborn are gone. Huge losses.

Just like losing Kroul and King were huge losses, and we wondered what we were gonna do there. Just like after Iwebema and Mattison moved on, Ballard and Clayborn did a pretty good job.

Part of Iowa's system, and how they play defense, is beneficial for younger players being able to step in and produce at a higher level more quickly...because it's a straight ahead philosophy..its team defense. It's gap control, it's doing your assignment.

The stuff that people complain about at times is the very reason that Iowa has also won more games than all but 13 BCS conference schools since 2001.

Since 2001, Iowa's worst national scoring defensive rank was in the 40's and they have averaged 17th.

The offense is going to have to score consistently next year, but I don't think the defense is going to be a sieve at all. Return Binns, Daniels, Hyde, Prater, Sash, Morris, Dibona, Nielsen among people that have started games this year. That's six returning players with significant starting experience in your back seven, and two of your front four. That's 8 out of 11 that have been there and started for this defense. Lebron Daniels has been in this year for some decent reps. they are high on Bigach and Alvis, too.

There is a lot of talent in this program. While I would not project next year's D to be as good as this year's D, which is not as good as last year's D, they will certainly be good enough to finish in the upper half.

And I think Iowa will have more playmakers available in the backfield next year...as long as they stay healthy, dangit!

Here is the schedule:

September
3 Tennessee Tech
10 at Iowa State
17 Pittsburgh
24 Louisiana-Monroe

Should be a 3-1 month, possible 4-0

October
1 Bye
8 at Penn State
15 Northwestern
22 Indiana
29 at Minnesota

Another possible 3-1 month, with every game winnable IMO.

November
5 Michigan
12 Michigan State
19 at Purdue
26 at Nebraska

3-1 possible, 2-2 perhaps more likely, 1-3 not out of the question.

Four the last five games are against division foes.

September
3 Tennessee Tech -WIN
10 at Iowa State - WIN
17 Pittsburgh - LOSS
24 Louisiana-Monroe - WIN

October
1 Bye
8 at Penn State - LOSS
15 Northwestern - LOSS
22 Indiana - WIN
29 at Minnesota - WIN

November
5 Michigan - LOSS
12 Michigan State - WIN
19 at Purdue - WIN
26 at Nebraska - LOSS

My most honest prediction has next year's Iowa team ending up at 7-5. From here on out I'll be assuming a loss to Northwestern until Ferentz shows me he can beat Fitz. With that same reasoning I should pick Iowa over Penn State, but I just can't see it next season. I'm thinking Iowa splits with Michigan and Michigan State, just wasn't sure which one to give the Hawks. Best case scenario I see the Hawks winning nine games, worst case I see them winning five games.

September
3 Tennessee Tech - W
10 at Iowa State - W
17 Pittsburgh - W
24 Louisiana-Monroe - W

No excuse to lose any of these game 4-0

October
1 Bye
8 at Penn State - L
15 Northwestern - L
22 Indiana - W
29 at Minnesota - W

6-2 to close October.
November
5 Michigan - W
12 Michigan State - L
19 at Purdue - W
26 at Nebraska - L

Another 2-2 month to finish 8-4 / 4-4

September
3 Tennessee Tech - W - no doubt
10 at Iowa State - W - they lose a lot again after this season and the ones they do keep haven't been world beaters
17 Pittsburgh - W - Big East - 'nuff said
24 Louisiana-Monroe - W - no doubt

October
1 Bye
8 at Penn State - W - I'm still giving this to us. We Own Penn State
15 Northwestern - W - conventional wisdom says we lose but hey, we're due
22 Indiana - W - Home against Indy we should win.
29 at Minnesota - W - They will still be rebuilding

6-2 to close October.
November
5 Michigan - L - DickRod keeps his job and they revamp their D
12 Michigan State - W - Should get this one
19 at Purdue - W - It's Purdue, our rival
26 at Nebraska - L - TMart and co at Memorial Stadium, loss

Hooray KoolAid!

I am optimistic about next year. I see the line improving with Riley Reiff @ 6’6 300 and Markus Zusevics @ 6’5 295 coming back and possibly with a few more pounds on. Add to that Vandenburg and the returning RB's, WR's...looking good.

So according to most of you guys, it looks like we are going into next season with high expectations again? 9 or 10-win seasons?...starting off 8-0? Interesting.

After losing 5 of 6 to jNW, its amazing some still pencil that in a win.

I am optimistic about next year. I see the line improving with Riley Reiff @ 6’6 300 and Markus Zusevics @ 6’5 295 coming back and possibly with a few more pounds on. Add to that Vandenburg and the returning RB's, WR's...looking good.

So you feel good about losing a three year starter at QB and replacing him with a QB with very little experience that, when he has played, has thrown more INT's than TD's? I agree that the OL, RB, and WR positions will be a strength, but it's a huge unknown at QB. Plus, the defense that everyone (including me) is complaining about this year is going to be much, much weaker with a ton of guys on this year's team needing replaced. If the Hawks win 10 games like you're predicting I'll be absolutely shocked....and thrilled.

Anyone who wants to argue that losing Stanzi and replacing him with Vandenberg won't be a HUGE downgrade to start off can just look at Vandenberg's career stats:

47/95, which is a completion percentage of 49.47%
3 TD's
5 INT's

He was terrible in two of the three games that he's ever received the bulk of the playing time at QB (Northwestern and Minnesota last season) and okay in the Ohio State game. There's a certain legend about him since he almost beat Ohio State last year at Ohio State. But almost doesn't count as a win. He has a record of 1-2 in those games as well. Don't get me wrong, Vandenberg has all the tools, probably better tools than Stanzi, but that doesn't mean there won't be growing pains.

Hawk fans need to lower their expectations for next season. No offense to Jon, but people bought into his 12-0 hype for this season, and he's already starting the Hawks will win nine games next season talk. People need to look at that schedule and think realistically about whether or not they see nine wins on that schedule given all that has to be replaced. I don't see it. I'll stick with my prediction of seven wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to most of you guys, it looks like we are going into next season with high expectations again? 9 or 10-win seasons?...starting off 8-0? Interesting.

I penciled them in because I always do. We are a better team and we are due.

Iowa's defense knows that Persa's Achilles is soft, he will be allowed to throw a great TD early and will injure himself again during the celebration, thereby paving the way to a 9-7 Iowa victory. Pencil it in right now.

Latest posts