What Happens next year?

what is the number? 26 seniors graduated I think? many of them sat on the bench. Who is going to be the team leader on offense and defense?

Perhaps this is in retrospect, but there didn't appear to be any clear leaders on this team, despite all of the seniors. No one seemed to step up and become the point person when things got tough. Some of the most successful teams with strong leadership have included guys who come from Iowa. It's not universal, but there is a trend worth noticing. In '02 there was Bruce Nelson and Dallas Clark. In '03 there was Gallery and Kaeding. In '08 there was King, Kroul and Bruggeman. Last year there was Angerer. This year there were Vandervelde, Greenwood and Reisner. With the exception of Vandervelde, none of the Iowa kids struck me as having strong (by that I mean, overt) leadership personalities, and even he was no Angerer. I think Sash and Robinson could fill the role next year. Vandenberg's going to need to assert himself early on, too. He can't come in and just be the QB who's next in line after Stanzi, but he needs to demonstrate that this is his offense and he's going to be the man.

Latest posts