What exactly does KF do that would be so hard to replace?

hawkeyes87

First, I understand the contract makes it extremely unlikely he's forced out any time soon. This isn't a "Fire him today!" post..

And, it's not about last night's debacle- that "coaching" performance really shouldn't shock anybody at this point.

It's also not about "How can we go from last year to this?" I didn't think they were that great last year, so I'm not bothered by that.

So, back to my question, which is meant for those worried that "Without KF we'd be just like ISU, Purdue, Illinois".

What does KF do that a new coach couldn't? The two things I hear the most - hell, really the only pro-KF things I hear, are "great guy", and great player developer.

Now, I think the great guy thing is true but of questionable value when it comes to a football coach. How does it help field a better team?

The great developer thing is debatable. How is Iowa better at this than any other school? Even if they are better, that's more of a position coach responsibility than a HC.

It's not impossible to think Iowa could slip back to complete irrelevancy with a change, but it's worth the risk to bring back some excitement. KF is the problem, not the solution.

If we replaced Kirk, the most likely scenario would be same amount of wins on average with lower highs and higher lows and a lot more exciting games. The odds of improving on win totals is probably roughly the same as the odds of getting worse.

With our facilities and playing in the West, they would have to hire a pretty bad coach to tank. Think about it, at least half of our games are against really bad teams and most coaches know how to beat really bad teams. is Beilama a great coach? Probably not. But he knows how to pummel really bad teams so he (or someone like him) would pretty much have 6 guaranteed wins with 6 more chances to get 1 more win to equal Kirks average year. With our schedule for the foreseeable future, the worst coach you can have is one who plays close games against bad teams.

His record as a double digit favorite is why anything good he ever does should be disallowed....when you are attempting to reach the next level, there is no excuse for continuous slip ups against dogs....these losses ruin seasons.

First, I understand the contract makes it extremely unlikely he's forced out any time soon. This isn't a "Fire him today!" post..

And, it's not about last night's debacle- that "coaching" performance really shouldn't shock anybody at this point.

It's also not about "How can we go from last year to this?" I didn't think they were that great last year, so I'm not bothered by that.

So, back to my question, which is meant for those worried that "Without KF we'd be just like ISU, Purdue, Illinois".

What does KF do that a new coach couldn't? The two things I hear the most - hell, really the only pro-KF things I hear, are "great guy", and great player developer.

Now, I think the great guy thing is true but of questionable value when it comes to a football coach. How does it help field a better team?

The great developer thing is debatable. How is Iowa better at this than any other school? Even if they are better, that's more of a position coach responsibility than a HC.

It's not impossible to think Iowa could slip back to complete irrelevancy with a change, but it's worth the risk to bring back some excitement. KF is the problem, not the solution.

Great points here. My stance has always been that Barta would most likely hire a MAC retread that probably isn't as good as Ferentz. There are a lot worse coaches out there than what we currently have. I still believe that if KF was fired or resigned (neither is going to happen) Barta would do exactly that and the chances of Iowa getting worse are likely.

But I've changed my mind in terms of needing a change. I realize that with Barta in charge we can't count on him aggressively pursuing a proven Power 5 coach but I'm still willing to take a chance on a mid major level guy that Barta would bring in. As another poster said, given Iowa's OOC schedule and the West being a weak division its not going to take a good coach to scratch out 6/7 wins.

You forgot runs a clean program. I hear that one a lot.

Add to it all the quotes from former players.... all about respect, class, being a family, etc. That is part of what the board of regents, UI administration, etc. want from their athletic programs.

Deposit 20 million dollars in pay checks to his bank account. Once the money is in his account it no longer exists in the athletic department account to pay for a replacement. Pretty simple.

So, what makes him a nice guy?

I was going along with the great guy thing because, as I said, it's a questionable / secondary-at-best quality to have in a HC. Whether he is or not isn't worth debating, as it doesn't make up for his many coaching deficiencies.

"Great guys" don't try and sneak their kid into Government Subsidized Housing when their net worth is in the tens of millions.

Great guys don't inform the rhabdo-afflicted players to stay off social media with his first communication to them. And then honor the assistant in charge of putting them in the hospital with the "Assistant of the Year" award a few months later.

That award seemed a little fishy to me. Maybe Doyle didn't believe he was deserving of being thrown under the bus?? Maybe he was just following orders??

I posted this was a bad team game one, something is so very wrong with this team. It was pretty obvious during the game and the response from the players that they didn't mind being completely manhandled I saw no players talking or being upset. CJ has effectively been neutered by this staff joining the line line of QB's who got worse under Kirk the longer they were in the system. Stanzi, Vandy, Tate, all lost their explosiveness and risk taking opportunities. Kirk wants only throws he considers safe. Iowa receivers don't get that open. Running the ball down 21 plus points in play action formation until the 4th quarter was not even giving CJ a chance. Plus I felt he might have been concussed after that 4 and 1 hit. Davis and Kirk rolled the dice to get top flight receivers at the expense of offensive line depth. How's that worked out? This Davis experiment has to end. As far as getting a second level coach from the MAC, we should be so lucky to get Western Michigan's coach. I make that deal in a second.

Perhaps Iowa should hire as the next head coach...the guy who represents Kirk in contract negotiations.

That guy is a winner...and must have a cupboard full of "exotics" to try...

I'd say that Iowa has about a 80% chance of remaining exactly what they have been for the past nearly 40 years (since Hayden got here) and that is a 60% winner. I'd say we have a 5% chance of becoming something greater than that over a 10-15 year period. I'd say we have a 15% chance of coming off the rails completely.

Some need to really get their expectations re set. Thinking Iowa is ever going to be a NC level teams is just lala land crazy. Look at what Baylor did, they never won the NC, and their program is gonna go back to the dumps. Look at what MSU did, they never won the NC and their program is coming crashing back down to earth. Look at how good Nebraska used to be, they will never win another NC. Heck Bob Stoops won a NC early, and has yet to win another and they recruit on an elite level. This aint easy, and the odds of Iowa ever winning a NC are less than 1%

It would be nice to have a national title...outright BIGT title...Rose Bowl win...Agreed...long odds.

Here is what I don't like to see...

Teams that seem to quit.

Teams that look confused.

Coaches that look confused and disinterested.

Predictable, laughable, boring play calling.

Quarterbacks and other skill position players which tend to regress every year they are "coached up."

Lucrative...Long term contracts.

Nepotism

It would be nice to have a national title...outright BIGT title...Rose Bowl win...Agreed...long odds.

Here is what I don't like to see...

Teams that seem to quit.

Teams that look confused.

Coaches that look confused and disinterested.

Predictable, laughable, boring play calling.

Quarterbacks and other skill position players which tend to regress every year they are "coached up."

Lucrative...Long term contracts.

Nepotism

Well stated. Excellent points.

I don't get the debacle of the season(s) (02-04 not withstanding) following premier seasons with good players coming back.

You all know the pattern. This is what is the head-scratcher to me.

We 'come out of the blue' well. We don't sustain well, if at all. Again, perplexing.

Latest posts