What every fan likes to hear from a new commit!

He's Just telling you what you want to hear. No sane person would prefer anything about Iowa St. to USC or UCLA. Nice pick up though, Nevada and Colorado State are really kicking themselves over this one.

I got from the Cyclone site...so certainly not lost.
The kid talks intelligently and seems quite sane...his impressions are simply far different from your own, herky. All recruits say nice things about the school they chose, but few make a point of such comparisons and talk in such glowing terms...this kid has a lot of potential which is why interest from schools like UCLA was accelerating as the fall approached. This kid was a Bobby Elliot recruit and a summer signee...not in any way a "fallback" type recruit. He's clearly not a walk in and be a superstar from day one kind of kid...but rather is the kind of recruit who redshirts, develops and starts making big contributions in his 3rd/4th year. Those kinds of kids are what make programs like Iowa and ISU strong.

Thanks Bucket...the real point here is that a kid SHOULD be enthralled with whatever school he chooses...too many kids these days commit early so they are "safe", and then shop around to see what they really want.

Last edited:
New ISU commit David Irving:
"I've seen a lot of colleges, I've seen USC and UCLA and LSU and a bunch of others," Irving said. "And everything about Iowa State just blows everything else away. The academic center is really nice. The dorms are spectacular. I like the tradition there with the stadium named after Jack Trice and the whole city of Ames is built around Iowa State. It's 'Go Cyclones' everywhere."

Jack Trice is a helluva role model. Much like Nile Kinnick in that regard.

He forgot to mention the awesome AD!!!

You know things are going bad for you recruiting wise when you excited over a juco kid with offers from CSU and Nevada...

ISU recruiting has been awful this year.

But whatever floats your boat.

So... help me understand here- I'm not reading that.

He's saying that he's SEEN USC LSU and UCLA and has offers from Nevada and CSU and you're touting him for his intelligence? To each their own, but ISU blows nothing away compared to any of the schools he's listed.

I've seen the inside of the Playboy Mansion- just because I don't get invited to the parties doesn't make my house better.

You know things are going bad for you recruiting wise when you excited over a juco kid with offers from CSU and Nevada...

LOL, so he is not going to be excited about a guy that is now a cyclone? We've had plenty of guys come in with weak offer lists and do very well. Carry on...

We haven't necessarily beat out any power houses for our commits either.

He's Just telling you what you want to hear. No sane person would prefer anything about Iowa St. to USC or UCLA. Nice pick up though, Nevada and Colorado State are really kicking themselves over this one.
I'm not one to waste any positive comments on Moo U. However, just whose sanity is in question here is a question whose answer is not inclined in your direction.

If the kid is a serious student-athlete who is more concerned about his future AFTER college football is over then his preference for Moo over USC makes all the sense in the world.USC is a football factory, where football players are concerned its purpose, its function is to polish the skills and prepare future pros for the NFL; any "sane person"--or at least anyone who has the least familiarity with USC and Iowa State knows that a kid will have more time to concentrate on academic work and will be in a far, far better situation in regard to being a student as well as an athlete in Ames.

UCLA, admittedly, is a different matter--at least in terms of emphasis upon primary academic side of an athlete's college life. Nonetheless there are countless reasons why an intelligent kid who knows what he wants out of college would choose Moo over Westwood.

There is more than enough enjoyment to be had mocking the Clowns for their unfailing ineptitude on the playing fields. No reason to pretend it is not academically (at least) a very, very strong university which does an excellent job of admitting bright kids and turning out extremely well educated graduates.

Footnote: this is the perspective of a diehard Hawkeye, but one who spent his career in college teaching (where I served many years on Admissions Committees) and as a economist in the US Dept of Education where my work was focused on academic requirements and admissions standards for post-secondary education. After retirement, I worked as a consultant to ACT and to the NCAA in planning & developing its Center for Initial Eligibility. Over the years this has meant considerable familiarity with USC, UCLA, Iowa State, their admissions & aid policies, their academic standards & practices

Last edited:
tigger -

You're being a bit harsh concerning USC. While it's true that USC's athletes aren't always necessarily strong academically, USC is a much better academic institution than you're giving them credit. They have an excellent, well-endowed film school and they have a pretty darn good math department too. The applied math people there tried to lure me in there for a post-doc eons ago ... I came away from the place rather impressed.

So I take it you Hawkeye fans aren't very excited about your recruit Mike Orloff? He only had one other offer... Louisville... and that's it. He's only a two star recruit. He must be horrible, huh? And he'll never become anything at Iowa, right?

ISU can't recruit all 4 and 5 star kids like Florida, Texas, Alabama, USC, etc. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Iowa can't either. They HAVE to get in early on kids that they believe will turn out to be really good down the road. Some of Iowa and ISU's best players in their entire history have been kids like that.

This kid is going into his junior year of high school at 6'7" and 230 lbs out in California. You take chances on kids with these kinds of measurables if you are ISU. Plain and simple. We can't get kids that have offers from 20+ BCS schools.

So I take it you Hawkeye fans aren't very excited about your recruit Mike Orloff? He only had one other offer... Louisville... and that's it. He's only a two star recruit. He must be horrible, huh? And he'll never become anything at Iowa, right?

Iowa's coaches have proven they can take lightly recruited players like Orloff and turn them into contributors at the collegiate level. Marcus Paschal, Scott Chandler, Brandon Myers, Shonn Greene, Charles Godfrey, Bradley Fletcher, and Amari Spievey are all examples of two star recruits that have gone on to play in the NFL. I have confidence that whatever player our staff offers has potential to be a significant contributer to the team. Coach Ferentz gets the benefit of the doubt. Coach Rhodes has yet to prove that, and thus does not get the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell if he and his staff are as good at developing talent as Kirk and his staff are.

"I've seen a lot of colleges, I've seen USC and UCLA and LSU and a bunch of others. And everything about Iowa State just blows everything else away."

I always hate threads about ISU. In reality I will always cheer for Iowa, but when ISU isn't playing Iowa, I wish them no harm. They really are the little brother. But the quote above has got to be a joke.

I'm not one to waste any positive comments on Moo U. However, just whose sanity is in question here is a question whose answer is not inclined in your direction.

If the kid is a serious student-athlete who is more concerned about his future AFTER college football is over then his preference for Moo over USC makes all the sense in the world.USC is a football factory, where football players are concerned its purpose, its function is to polish the skills and prepare future pros for the NFL; any "sane person"--or at least anyone who has the least familiarity with USC and Iowa State knows that a kid will have more time to concentrate on academic work and will be in a far, far better situation in regard to being a student as well as an athlete in Ames.

UCLA, admittedly, is a different matter--at least in terms of emphasis upon primary academic side of an athlete's college life. Nonetheless there are countless reasons why an intelligent kid who knows what he wants out of college would choose Moo over Westwood.

There is more than enough enjoyment to be had mocking the Clowns for their unfailing ineptitude on the playing fields. No reason to pretend it is not academically (at least) a very, very strong university which does an excellent job of admitting bright kids and turning out extremely well educated graduates.

Footnote: this is the perspective of a diehard Hawkeye, but one who spent his career in college teaching (where I served many years on Admissions Committees) and as a economist in the US Dept of Education where my work was focused on academic requirements and admissions standards for post-secondary education. After retirement, I worked as a consultant to ACT and to the NCAA in planning & developing its Center for Initial Eligibility. Over the years this has meant considerable familiarity with USC, UCLA, Iowa State, their admissions & aid policies, their academic standards & practices

Either you are talking about having a career a REALLY long time ago, or you are lying.

USC has become one of the top colleges in the country. Their admission standards are now on par with UCLA, Stanford, and Cal. They are currently ranked number 26 on the list of national universities, which puts them ahead of every Big Ten School (except Northwestern), and right behind Stanford, Cal, and UCLA.

I went to Cal. I had a girlfriend who graduated from USC law and several family members who went to University of California schools, and USC. I know the standard of education at USC and the other schools and I would not hesitate sending my kid to USC. And yes, it is light years ahead of ISU, and Iowa - where I attended grad school and taught lower and upper division courses. Believe me you can't do half of the stuff they do in an undergraduate class at Iowa that you can do at USC. Now, that being said, at 71 Iowa is still a lot better than the majority of division one schools. But you just cannot compare it favorably to USC.

Seriously, calling USC a football factory that doesn't care about academics is just so idiotic it is comical.

Last edited:

We can't get kids that have offers from 20+ BCS schools.

It ain't braggin if you have done it. Kirk has ... has Paulie?:rolleyes:

Uhhh... congrats to Iowa State for picking this kid up? Honestly, does anyone else who doesn't have a "clone" or "mesa" in their username care?

Latest posts