What does BrianF doing with the playbook in 2020?

With no Spring Practice and a new QB, what's in store for Iowa's Offense this year?

• Bring on the Air Raid - Big Change to open it up

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Channel his inner Chucky (Gruden) - Smaller Change to open it up

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Snort, that's football - No Changes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 3 yards and a cloud of dust - Smaller Change to pack it in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install Triple Option ala AF - Big Change to run it always

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There is a difference between knowing the whole playbook and executing the whole playbook against a live defense for the first time. They will bring him along slowly.

Yes there is but for the last several years Iowa has had a nationally stout defense. I would be willing to bet he has gone full speed in practice against some of those guys. Every year we play someone with a new 1st year QB and many have been successful against our defense. My whole point and what drives me nuts with Iowa is they are so predictable most of the time and it is a huge limitation.

Everyone expects them to run the ball and the opposing team will just load the box and force you to pass but then if you are saying they need to bring him along slow the Hawks won't challenge anyone downfield and just run into 8-9 man fronts to grind it out and all of a sudden we are losing to UNI the first game and we have a tough time getting anything going to try and win the game and the fan-base freaks out.

By being predictable you are allowing the defense to dictate your plays to a certain point. Come out with an aggressive playbook that is open to many different formations and let the kid play. For the first time in many many years we have the horses at receiver to sling it around we can't waste it is all I'm saying.

You can focus on the run game, make them stop you, and still remain aggressive, which is the whole logic behind play action. Yeah. At times you can look predictable, until we fake the run and then throw a TD pass to Kelly Martin, Brandon Smith, or a screen to a running back. Saw a lot of that last year.

What does he do with the playbook?

I'm guessing he makes a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl.

HighlevelAnotherAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif

You can focus on the run game, make them stop you, and still remain aggressive, which is the whole logic behind play action. Yeah. At times you can look predictable, until we fake the run and then throw a TD pass to Kelly Martin, Brandon Smith, or a screen to a running back. Saw a lot of that last year.
I watched the Outback bowl against MS last night and it was evident then too. What a stout run defense yet the Hawks kept running into it play after play and when the Bulldogs, committed to stopping the rushing attack, bit hard on play action Iowa big chunk plays and touch downs resulted.

I watched the Outback bowl against MS last night and it was evident then too. What a stout run defense yet the Hawks kept running into it play after play and when the Bulldogs, committed to stopping the rushing attack, bit hard on play action Iowa big chunk plays and touch downs resulted.

yup. Patience is a virtue. Similar in BT championship game Iowa vs MSU. Long pass damn near put us in the playoffs.

I think/hope the offense will be pretty wide open. Hopefully something similar to how we did against USC. Splitting Goodson out wide once in awhile putting him in motion. Quick reverses to IKM, Tracy. Putting our speed guys in space. Throwing jump balls to Smith out wide when he's got 1 on 1 chances in the redzone. Or even when he's not that guy is a freak. Using Laporta over the middle and getting creative with how we use him and whichever other TE emerges. I'd like to root for Beyer with it being his last go round. But we have some young talent at that position.

The fun part of this yr will be just all the options BF has. Defenses will almost have to pick their poison against us. We can pick on whatever weaknesses they may have and just pound away. BF isn't like his old man in the sense that when he smells blood he goes for it. We all know how KF tends to liked to play years ago anyway. This new Kirk/BF style is really growing on me.

They should put in the Stanford fumblerooski play sometime. We bit so hard on that one in the Rose Bowl.

So was Mr.Wadley! Never Happened. More predictable from Pop's imagination huh?

This song is getting pretty old. If you do not recognize the changes in recruitment of more skill players and the willingness to use them, please look more closely.

So was Mr.Wadley! Never Happened. More predictable from Pop's imagination huh?
What are you talking about? He had a slight frame and they had to limit the touches they gave him, especially his Senior year. Other than Tight Ends he was our main receiving threat and got plenty of rushing attempts.

What are you talking about? He had a slight frame and they had to limit the touches they gave him, especially his Senior year. Other than Tight Ends he was our main receiving threat and got plenty of rushing attempts.
Ok. I saw him Rarely "split wide".Was durable.Ran off tackle.

This song is getting pretty old. If you do not recognize the changes in recruitment of more skill players and the willingness to use them, please look more closely.
Good Point. But "thread" about Play calling. But I agree with your Direction. Playcalling from Cap is what is. Hope is just around Bend!

Good Point. But "thread" about Play calling. But I agree with your Direction. Playcalling from Cap is what is. Hope is just around Bend!
Potato!!>! for too Run.After..is WHEN Hawk.Players TUFF Yes;?? Scen of the Far UP! is wehn paper,,no? If.Is.Go .. Purple, say HAwK players Tuff!!, no?&

Latest posts