What does BrianF doing with the playbook in 2020?

With no Spring Practice and a new QB, what's in store for Iowa's Offense this year?

• Bring on the Air Raid - Big Change to open it up

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Channel his inner Chucky (Gruden) - Smaller Change to open it up

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Snort, that's football - No Changes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 3 yards and a cloud of dust - Smaller Change to pack it in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install Triple Option ala AF - Big Change to run it always

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hawkboys

I do wonder if coaches have been using this time to watch tape or get creative with their playbooks. I know Woods has to be cooking up something crazy & Phil is probably checking out a few new blitz packages but how is Brian using this time? Will the combination of no practices and a new QB take IA back 5 or 50 years? Or is he using it to really brainstorm into something better? Will his dad even let him if he wanted to?

On offense I am very intrigued to see our personnel packages and play calling with respect to having little experience at full back and such a wealth of game breakers, especially with ISM, Tracy and Goodson. When you throw in B Smith, Nico and LaPorta, that is too much talent to leave on the sidelines to play a full back. I do think this staff scratches where it itches, and considering a new QB that has a lot of arm talent, we will see a lot of single back sets, jet sweeps, and mis-direction plays. We will still run a lot of zone running plays, but with game changing speed in Goodson makes all the difference.

What I am most interested in is to see what Petras will check in to when there is a lot of gap crashing from the linebackers and defensive ends like Wisconsin, Michigan and even PSU like to do. I would say his checks are going to be different than Stanley's because he will have weapons at his disposal at all 3 levels. I think we are going to be extremely difficult to defend next year as long as everyone stays healthy.

It WAS reassuring to hear Iowa's star WR saying that Petras throws "a really good deep ball" or something like that.

Iowa will bring Petras along carefully. Build his confidence. The run game will be a big time priority early, with some fairly safe passes, but with some limited deep shots off play action. I think we will see some screens, reverses with wide receivers, some misdirection to spice up the run game. We will use our improvement in the speed category and I think the TE’s will see more action in the pass game. We have a lot of skill people. A lot. If Petras can be a good manager and avoid turnovers early in the year, we are going to be very dangerous on offense.

Iowa will bring Petras along carefully. Build his confidence. The run game will be a big time priority early, with some fairly safe passes, but with some limited deep shots off play action. I think we will see some screens, reverses with wide receivers, some misdirection to spice up the run game. We will use our improvement in the speed category and I think the TE’s will see more action in the pass game. We have a lot of skill people. A lot. If Petras can be a good manager and avoid turnovers early in the year, we are going to be very dangerous on offense.
Bring Petras along slowly in the non-conf; and if he adapts well, let hell break loose!!!

And he is gonna have about a dozen wish bone plays that we will trot out against Nebraska only when we are already up by 4 touchdowns.

If this offense can't score points this year, then I'm not sure Brian can put together an offense that ever will be able to do so. ISM is going to be hard to stop. Smith is solid, and can overpower DBs for the ball. Tracy may end up being the most fun to watch, he is electric, particularly after he's caught the ball. LaPorta, Ragani, Martin will all contribute a bunch. And, of course, Goodson will be better, too. Yes, this team better score points this year. If not this year, then when?

First-year quarterbacks in the Ferentz system do pretty well if I remember the trends correctly. I could see Brian being more aggressive in big games now that he's got a good back in Goodson, good WR's, and up and coming TE's to throw to. Gonna have to have something for the meat of the schedule.

Aside from the Ohio State game plan two years ago...the USC game plan was as good as Brian put together. I mean, they scored touchdowns on the first four possession in the first half. They really played decent in the second half too, but Stanley missed on a few throws and Rigaini had a few drops he should have caught. They weren't great throws, but very, very catchable for first downs.

The point is that he kept USC off balance the entire game and had guys open all over the field. Now, SC isn't going to be compared to Alabama's defense...but it's not chopped liver either. Once again...the offensive line should be a huge strength this year. It's big, it's deep and it's talented. If you give an Iowa QB time to throw...since most defenses cheat on the running game with their LBs and safeties...he's going to be successful.

Aside from the Ohio State game plan two years ago...the USC game plan was as good as Brian put together. I mean, they scored touchdowns on the first four possession in the first half. They really played decent in the second half too, but Stanley missed on a few throws and Rigaini had a few drops he should have caught. They weren't great throws, but very, very catchable for first downs.

The point is that he kept USC off balance the entire game and had guys open all over the field. Now, SC isn't going to be compared to Alabama's defense...but it's not chopped liver either. Once again...the offensive line should be a huge strength this year. It's big, it's deep and it's talented. If you give an Iowa QB time to throw...since most defenses cheat on the running game with their LBs and safeties...he's going to be successful.

I don't want to bash any of our players, but I don't know that Brian did a whole lot different in that USC game than he had done during much of the year, it's just that our guys, particularly the middle of the o-line, executed really well. We have to get back to the days of having a top 10 national and top 3 conference o-line. Our skill guys are definitely getting better, but our style of ball is 100% reliant on winning the LOS. If we get back to 2002-2004 or 2008-2010 level of o-line play consistently, we are going to win 10 games with Brian calling plays. We would win 12 with O'Keefe, but that ship has unfortunately sailed.

We have all seen that Brian has the ability to put together good game plans inconsistently. Hell, I would say at times he looks brilliant. What he is not is consistent. In fairness, an OC is often times just the product of who is taking the snaps. Stanley too had the ability to look like an NFL talent on one series and "deer in the headlights" on the next.

When Iowa is good, it keeps the defenses off balance and calls plays away from tendency. When it is bad, and it was bad a lot last year, we have a lot of three and outs that look ugly because the D knew the offtackle stretch was coming.

So, more play action on first down, more screens, more jet sweeps, more hitches to your playmakes. THEN, after we have them guessing, we line up and run over their asses.

I don't want to bash any of our players, but I don't know that Brian did a whole lot different in that USC game than he had done during much of the year, it's just that our guys, particularly the middle of the o-line, executed really well. We have to get back to the days of having a top 10 national and top 3 conference o-line. Our skill guys are definitely getting better, but our style of ball is 100% reliant on winning the LOS. If we get back to 2002-2004 or 2008-2010 level of o-line play consistently, we are going to win 10 games with Brian calling plays. We would win 12 with O'Keefe, but that ship has unfortunately sailed.

Yeah...couldn't agree more...IMO, we lost at Michigan and against Penn State for the very reason you discuss...Interior OL play. Jackson still wasn't right in either game either. I think the bowl OL was pretty evident that the choices KF and Polesak made early in the Michigan and Penn State games weren't what they wanted. Weren't Banwart, Schott and Jackson hurt at that time? I know Jackson played, but he was struggling.

Bring Petras along slowly in the non-conf; and if he adapts well, let hell break loose!!!

I guess I am not sure why you would need to bring him along slowly if he knows the offense. By all accounts from last year Stanley and the other coaches were saying Petras knew the offense just as well as Stanley did. If that is the case why would you need to hold him back? The whole playbook should be open and let him execute.

Look at how many Freshman QBs have come lit up their conferences or the kid from Ball State against us last year. Petras has been in the system for a few years now, there is nothing to lose but much to gain, let him loose. By doing so you are showing confidence in him and both he and the team should play looser.

The coaching staff has typically put guys in positions to be successful all he needs to do is execute and we will find out if he has what it takes or not. If the game plan dictates that he needs to air it out 50 times to win because they are stacking the box then that is what you do. My guess is he will be tested early and bringing him along slowly could be a recipe for disaster.

There is a difference between knowing the whole playbook and executing the whole playbook against a live defense for the first time. They will bring him along slowly.

If the OLine can protect the pass game will open things up for the running game. I think the D will need to blitz more to get pressure though. I have personally talked to 2 people who saw Petras last fall. they both said he is the real deal.

It is really hard to compare this upcoming year with last year, especially the losses, because of what had to be developed and injuries. You have to remember that at the beginning of last season, there were very large question marks with respect to TE production, slot receiver production and of course, what we thought of as a strength ended up being mediocre until a running back emerged. So at the beginning of last season, and in the back to back games against Michigan and PSU, there was a freshman center, 2 over-matched guards, no real TE threat and very very young slot receivers. Very difficult situation. Then LaPorta emerged. Tracy emerged as a dynamic playmaker. Goodson solidified the #1 spot. The o-line got healthier. ISM became a leader.

Stanley had a difficult deck stacked against him and in the end still won 10 games and could have won them all. I think Petras, having 2 years in the system plush bowl prep and an early enrollee will come in firing on all cylinders because he will know he doesn't have to win it on his own. To expound on my previous entry, the ability to not only be effective but to be game changing at all 3 levels is the holy grail for an offense and this offense will have that. And I am not sure we have had that since maybe 2009, but in this case our RB is more versatile and just better, or dare I say 2002, but not sure we had as much outside speed as we have here now.

I am telling you, when this team in 11 personnel (Goodson, LaPorta, ISM, Tracy, B Smith) it will be something to watch. The reason being is no matter what play is run, it is going to mostly result in a linebacker to cover Tracy and/or Goodson (who can catch out of the backfield btw), or it will leave single coverage on ISM or BSmith or both. If the offensive line is as good as we all think it will be (Jackson, Cronk, Linderbaum as the center pieces and add in Schott, Kallenberger, Banwart, and anyone else that emerges) and keeps Petras clean, the defenses will certainly be playing on their heels and reacting to what we do rather than dictating what they want to do.

I have personally talked to 2 people who saw Petras last fall. they both said he is the real deal.

I heard from dozens of people that Dan McGwire and Jake Christensen were the real deal. Dan was good for San Diego State. Jake had a nice year at Eastern Illinois as well. The beauty of college football is you just never know until they take the field. I am the eternal optimist. 12-0.

Latest posts