What Are Your Thoughts?

Fryowa

Administrator
Had this conversation in the stands with my buddy as Iowa came out to kneel at the end.

Normally I'm fine kneeling in that situation. 1st down, less clock time than play clock. But...part of me wanted Brian to run one up the middle and leave 3 or 4 seconds on the clock, and go for the 38-42 yarder.

1) Our kicker needs game reps. This would be my #1 justification.

2) 10-3 looks better. I know it would've also looked douchey, but it's true. Harbaugh wouldn't have thought twice about it.

3) What if Leshon busts one for 6? Again, unnecessary but I have to think it would boost our offense's mind state.

What are your thoughts? Do you care what Stiegelmeier thinks? I'm of the, "if you don't like it, stop it" persuasion and I say put some more goddamn points on the board. Our defense and Tory worked their asses off all game to keep them pinned in the red zone, give something back to them by making SDSU pay. Phil Parker and LeVar deserved it.

It would have been a tool move. If we wanted to put more points on the board we had 3.98 quarters to do so and we couldn't.

I also think it's quite clear Kirk doesn't care what a scoreboard looks like or what anyone thinks of him. He knows what the country says about our offense and as long as his son gets paid he doesn't care. He's a great dad...

I get your rationale, but it would be both a tool move and stupid. Largely, we would look like tools doing it. I am not worried about SDSU retribution, of course. I just think there is a right way and wrong way to do things, and when you have the game in hand, you should graciously accept the victory and shake hands.

Its also stupid. What if you fumble the damn ball!!!!!!! What if the kick gets blocked????? What if in your greed to get a couple meaningless reps you actually lose the game????? The chances are low, but strangers things have happened. Ask Harbaugh when his punter dropped the ball. Or Herm Edwards returning the fumbled snap for the win. The Stanford Band still has not recovered. No rationale coach takes those reps and risks losing a game that is won. Small reward and unnecessary risk.

Ok, let me hit you guys with this...

If we were playing Frost or Fleck or Harbaugh what would you have done?

That game was such a shit show, I just think you get out of there with a 7-3 win. What if it was block and ran back or something. Also, just missing the kick could not sit well with the kicker and mind F him. There was nothing to gain in the last seconds of that game, IMO. It wasn't going to make coaches, players or even fans feel that much better. It was such a shit show.

You just get out of there and regroup.

south-park-take-a-knee.gif

I wouldn't trust our offense with walking or chewing bubble gum the way they were playing. Get out of there and regroup.

In my opinion, no matter what the team it'd be a win to end the game with a knee. Hey, a win is a win. I agree with FLHawk that the O had the opportunity to run up the score all game and failed miserably. No telling what else could have gone wrong.

Now, if we had the opportunity to run up the score earlier in the game, I'd be for that because there could be a switch in momentum. But KF probably wouldn't do that either. Since we had the game won, I wouldn't be for adding points either.

Good God no. Only chance you can lose the game at that point is by trying a field goal and having something go wrong.

Kirk would have been more likely to fire Brian on the spot than kicking a field goal when winning (but by less than 7) on a final play.

Kirk sits on the ball even when the other team can get the ball back one more time. See PSU and Kentucky games. There is no chance at all he will ever do nothing but kneel when he has the lead and kneeling down runs out the clock.

Just my opinion, but new kicker that missed his first attempt, I might run the ball and try to get into range. Is it really a douche move to get game reps to a fresh kicker. And in response to worst case scenario of something going wrong on the snap...So what our offense was simply pathetic to put it nicely. I think the entire offensive performance fell under worst case scenario, what's another hiccup after a shit show like that one.

Just my opinion, but new kicker that missed his first attempt, I might run the ball and try to get into range. Is it really a douche move to get game reps to a fresh kicker. And in response to worst case scenario of something going wrong on the snap...So what our offense was simply pathetic to put it nicely. I think the entire offensive performance fell under worst case scenario, what's another hiccup after a shit show like that one.
Valid point. If he were to make it, it could build his confidence.

So if we did that and lost, you'd be OK with it? No reason to try a FG at that point if it could have cost the game, IMO.

'Is it a douche move?'...To our team, no. To the other team, yes. To potential recruites, maybe.

If it was harbough, i say score as much and as often as you can. If you can. Not so sure about the other coaches.

You think this fan base has been hysterical and out of control this week, imagine if KF followed the Fry plan and the kick gets blocked and run back. Or hell, he makes it, we kick off, they run that back and go for two. We lose a game that was in the bag by being galactically stupid? Can you imagine KF in the postgame? "I know we had the game won, I just thought we needed some more reps. My bad." LOL

Fry would be the first one on this Board calling for the disbandment of the football program and the expulsion from the state of the entire Ferentz clan.

You take the knee 100% of the time in that scenario. Another scenario in which you take a knee is if you are playing at the Horseshoe for the Big Ten title and the game is tied in the waning moments. You just get out there, take that knee and take it to OT.

Latest posts