What Are Your Thoughts on Continuing Iowa-ISU FB Series?

Your Vote on Iowa-ISU FB Series

• KEEP IT! It's great

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to stay

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to go away

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • GET RID OF IT!

Votes: 29 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Curious to how the Hawkeye Nation feels....is there a huge desire to keep this series going? With the Big Ten going to a nine-game conference slate in 2016, Iowa will get the five B1G home games in years they play at Iowa State and four the years they host ISU. That works out to let Iowa have seven home games per year, so the series can (and will) continue.

I am mostly ambivalent and if the majority of fans want it to continue I'd probably side with that opinion. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
College football is now all about the money. Iowa would generate far more revenue by playing a MAC team at Kinnick than they would by playing in Ames.

I know we don't get anything out of it, but I still love to beat the dirty clowns!

Its a game that doesn't help us if we win and hurts us if we lose. Its about time we drop the clowns.

My feelings are basically that I like the game, and it's a good rivalry. But playing ISU every year and 2-3 other cupcakes in the non-conference is getting rather stale IMO. I'd like to see Iowa play some teams from other BCS conferences.

I'm ok with Iowa keeping ISU on the schedule if they also schedule another respectable team, like they did in 2008 (Pitt), 2009/2010 (Arizona), 2011 (Pitt), etc.

If dropping ISU makes our coaches more willing to pick up some other BCS level non-conference opponents, then I'm all for it.

So for me, it's really more about making the non-conference more interesting, and less about whether or not we play ISU. Or maybe Iowa could still play ISU here and there, but not EVERY season.

Of course, it sounds like the new conference scheduling is going to dictate alot of what we do in the non-con. But maybe Iowa could get a home & home series with other BCS teams. With 9 conference games coming, I don't see KF adding another solid team to the non-conference. So it's probably EITHER Iowa State, OR someone else. So I suspect ISU will stay on the schedule..

I think the hoopla and whatnot that surrounds the game is pretty fun. It's more important for the fans than it is for UI fb.

What's more important? The fanbase or the team? Solve that and you'll have your answer.

I think the hoopla and whatnot that surrounds the game is pretty fun. It's more important for the fans than it is for UI fb.

What's more important? The fanbase or the team? Solve that and you'll have your answer.

False choice, IMHO. Find more meaningful competition, or a game that enhances the revenue, and see what benefits it brings to the program. Bigger benefit, IMHO, to the fans. Dumping the game benefits both the team and the fanbase.

I like the game, but honestly would prefer to play a more marque game annually so maybe rotate on and off schedule with ISU and schedule up as often as possible.

So two MACrificial lambs and ISU/BCS high quality team as 3rd non-conf game. ISU every other year maybe

I would like it to go away. It's always fun to go on a road trip to Arizona, Chicago, and other places in preseason and if we keep the series, that goes away....unless you think a road trip to Ames and paying $95 to watch a game in the Wind Tunnel is fun. This topic is fun to debate, but reality is if both Universities can find a way to play this game, it will be played.

Win or lose, the ultimate benefit of this game always favors ISU. Time to move on to other opponents or schedule it on a rotational basis.

Don't care.......As long as KF is the coach it means the series will be close and competitive, which means once KO starts I get a nervous stomach and the beer guzzlin stops and I no longer have an appetite for food. i guess keepin the series would be more healthy for me.

One another note, it would nice if ISU actually did something after the game, right now it just seems like a bad loss, it is about equivalent to losing to Indiana.

It's complicated because it is never considered a good win when we do and when we lose it is always a horrible loss.

My feelings are basically that I like the game, and it's a good rivalry. But playing ISU every year and 2-3 other cupcakes in the non-conference is getting rather stale IMO. I'd like to see Iowa play some teams from other BCS conferences.

I'm ok with Iowa keeping ISU on the schedule if they also schedule another respectable team, like they did in 2008 (Pitt), 2009/2010 (Arizona), 2011 (Pitt), etc.

If dropping ISU makes our coaches more willing to pick up some other BCS level non-conference opponents, then I'm all for it.

So for me, it's really more about making the non-conference more interesting, and less about whether or not we play ISU. Or maybe Iowa could still play ISU here and there, but not EVERY season.

Of course, it sounds like the new conference scheduling is going to dictate alot of what we do in the non-con. But maybe Iowa could get a home & home series with other BCS teams. With 9 conference games coming, I don't see KF adding another solid team to the non-conference. So it's probably EITHER Iowa State, OR someone else. So I suspect ISU will stay on the schedule..

I think this is where I am in this discussion. For me a lot of it is who would Iowa pick-up on their schedule if we dropped ISU. If we drop ISU and add directional Michigan, then I'd rather keep the ISU game. If we are going to play a solid BSC program (Arizona, Missouri, etc...) then I'd be all for dropping ISU.

I don't even see the ISU game as a rivalry anymore. For me that designation has moved to the Nebraska game.

Love the game. With all the *itching and complaining about schools shuffling conferences and selling out for money I think its refreshing to play a huge instate rival annually. A rivalry that every Iowa/ Iowa St fan that I know loves. Always been one of my favorite games every year even if they cost us a national championship in 2002...

I would like to see Iowa play them every other year only,with the game at Iowa in every contest.
Barring that, then I could see playing them back to back,then take two years off,and play them back to back again...
I think it would be a bigger game if it did not happen every single year.

Latest posts