What Are Your Thoughts on Continuing Iowa-ISU FB Series?

Your Vote on Iowa-ISU FB Series

• KEEP IT! It's great

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to stay

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to go away

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • GET RID OF IT!

Votes: 29 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would be in favor of playing a home-and-home with ISU once every six years. I like the rivalry and the passion this series evokes, but once the B1G goes to a 9 game schedule Iowa will only be able to play one non-conference game with a BCS conference school each season. The other two non-conference games will have to be home games against MAC or C-USA type schools to ensure Iowa always has at least seven home games each year.

If we keep the series with ISU, then we will never be able to play another big-name team in the non-conference part of our schedule (unless the NCAA approves a 13 game regular season schedule, which is very unlikely in the foreseeable future). Other mid-level B1G teams like Michigan State and Wisconsin are trying to schedule non-conference games with big-name schools like Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Miami, etc, and I would hate to see Iowa being trapped into playing only ISU as our big school non-conference game every year.

Playing a home-and-home with the Clones once every six years would keep the series alive and it would allow Iowa to schedule some very interesting home-and-home series with higher profile teams in the off years.

Just my opinion.

I am not jealous of Iowa vs. Nebraska one bit. It isn't even a rivalry...Iowa hasn't beaten them in over 30 years.

Evidence of sour grapes underlined. Liar Liar pants on fire. Question...how come ISU and NEBBY didn't play on black friday for a trophy?

I

Nationally Iowa/Nebraska doesn't draw a lot of interest. The only claim it has to national relevancy is that the game occupies a time slot that used to have Oklahoma/Nebraska which was a national rivalry in the 70s & 80s.

However Nebraska, while still solid, is nowhere near the program they once were. Iowa is a middling B10 program. It has potential to be a good Midwest rivalry if Iowa has to find a way to compete. 4 games in the last 14 years, all Nebraska wins, 3 blowouts. The only non-blowout game was so awful to watch it made eyes bleed.

As for the ISU game. The risk reward/reward isn't good. As said before, Iowa wins = no big deal. Iowa loses = kills credibility.
I think this is a fair assessment. However the fact that the Iowa Nebraska game is at the end of the season adds to the potential. Either team could have a decent season ruined by the other.

Evidence of sour grapes underlined. Liar Liar pants on fire. Question...how come ISU and NEBBY didn't play on black friday for a trophy?

I

ISU didn't play Nebby for a made up trophy on black friday because Nebby bailed and went to the Big 10. Iowa vs Nebby isn't a rivalry yet. ISU vs Nebby while it was a rivalry for us, it probably wasn't for them as much since they beat our heads in more time than not. No sour grapes thats the truth. I do wish we played Nebby every year though.

A lot of you seem to still think it is 1985. I bet you are still admiring your Morgan Fairchild poster, chuckling at Weird Al, and jamming to the slick bass line from Billie Jean.
Face it you would be VERY upset the series ended and deep down inside you also know ISU needs the game WAY more than Iowa. You will never get me to believe that ISU fans don't put more stock into this game than Iowa Fans do. IT is your ONLY rivalry game and losing it would take serious luster off your football season.

ISU didn't play Nebby for a made up trophy on black friday because Nebby bailed and went to the Big 10. Iowa vs Nebby isn't a rivalry yet. ISU vs Nebby while it was a rivalry for us, it probably wasn't for them as much since they beat our heads in more time than not. No sour grapes thats the truth. I do wish we played Nebby every year though.
sez the ISU fan. In both Lincoln and this year I spoke with quite a few Nebby fans who are VERY excited about this developing rivalry. Its a natural rivalry and it will do nothing but grow..

Sour grapes evidence again underlined. I believe the "made up" trophy you are speaking of is called the cy-hawk. Phoney trophy with no conference tie in and absolutely no history behind it. But ya gotta savor it cause it the only one you have a chance to win each year. Lose the game and you have no made up trophy to play for.

I

Just to be fair, didn't Nebraska play Oklahoma on Thanksgiving for years? It was one of the original Thanksgiving rivalry game. And we don't want to think about what happened the last time with OU.

Just to be fair, didn't Nebraska play Oklahoma on Thanksgiving for years? It was one of the original Thanksgiving rivalry game. And we don't want to think about what happened the last time with OU.

Very good point. However, a Friday game at the end of the season between two teams in the same division on bordering states each with a bit of history (yes Nebraska more than iowa) has the makings of a huge rivalry. Especially if there is a trip to Indy on the line. 2 or three years with that scenario would create a HUGE rivalry. Again using terms like "made up trophy" just oozes of jealousy. Any clown who says otherwise has honesty issues.

I'm in favor of keeping the game, but playing every other year and scheduling a different BCS opponent for the "off years". With the 9-game schedule, we need to keep a couple lesser teams on our schedule, but I'd like to see a variety of similar BCS schools from different conferences scheduled in place of ISU.

It's called building momentum. Winning 3 conf games four years in a row shows great improvement.

Exactly. Three straight losing seasons (6 of the last 7 seasons with a losing record) shows nothing but the sky being the limit for Coach Paw Whoades, the Fightin' Funnel Clouds.

Face it you would be VERY upset the series ended and deep down inside you also know ISU needs the game WAY more than Iowa. You will never get me to believe that ISU fans don't put more stock into this game than Iowa Fans do. IT is your ONLY rivalry game and losing it would take serious luster off your football season.

Too funny.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2526-1367860726-12.gif

There is no doubt that isu has much much more to gain each year but I'd still rather play them. I'm not afraid of Iowa st and hawkeye fans shouldn't be either. It's now a healthy rivalry and if we want to claim to be better then prove it on the field. Keep the game. It's good for the state and its a hell of a lot better than playing Akron or buffalo

I'd like to ditch it, but Kirk's losing record won't allow it. I don't want it to look like we're running away. Thanks, Kirk.

Latest posts