What Are Your Thoughts on Continuing Iowa-ISU FB Series?

Your Vote on Iowa-ISU FB Series

• KEEP IT! It's great

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to stay

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • It's not imperative, but I'd like it to go away

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • GET RID OF IT!

Votes: 29 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the game is losing its luster because both teams are having less and less Iowans on their Rosters...It seems like it means more to the fans than it does to the players. Honestly I could care less if we played ISU or not. I am certain clown fans feel the same. I do wonder, however, how quickly fans would be clamoring for a matchup if the series ended.

Its extra cash, but whoever we would pick up would still have a solid turnout. Its not like dropping Iowa would bankrupt us.
I don't think it would bankrupt ISU but not having the game is a significant financial impact for Iowa State. Now that Nebby is gone and losing Iowa at 95 bucks a seat AND losing 20% of the Iowa Gate cant help. On a side note whats the deal with 20% of the home team gate. Iowa gets screwed on that one. 70K > 54K. Also if there would be little financial impact why does JP have the seats at 95 bucks? sorta embarrassing if you ask me.

I don't think it would bankrupt ISU but not having the game is a significant financial impact for Iowa State. Now that Nebby is gone and losing Iowa at 95 bucks a seat AND losing 20% of the Iowa Gate cant help. On a side note whats the deal with 20% of the home team gate. Iowa gets screwed on that one. 70K > 54K. Also if there would be little financial impact why does JP have the seats at 95 bucks? sorta embarrassing if you ask me.

but that's folly for ya.

and to your 2nd point - if no big deal, then why do it? of course, but clownies can't see the forest for the trees. and, they just can't 'replace' two teams whose fan bases will fork over extortion type money to see a football game in the 'jack'. who are they replacing iowa/neb with anyway? South Dakota St and Minnesota Morehead?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask this to Hawk fans.

When has beating ISU ever cost Iowa a better bowl game?
When has beating ISU ever moved Iowa to a better bowl game?
Same answer two different questions.

I guess I want the series to end because I think it would severely Pi$$ off clown fans. I know many clown fans who base their entire season on beating Iowa...and ending the Iowa series would put a dent in their fan base. The game is likely the most important game of the year for both teams but has way more weight for ISU fans. If the series ended I think Iowa would fare much better forgetting about the rivalry than ISU. Ames has NO other rival so they are all in for the Iowa Game...the Iowa Nebraska rivalry has HUGE national potential. A 3 way rivalry between IA-WI-NE would make Ames an afterthought in no time. Meanwhile ISU would just wallow away in Ames. One thing I do know, there isn't a clown fan out there that isn't seething with jealousy over an Iowa vs. Nebraska trophy game. It is a slap in their face that they couldn't generate any semblance of a rivalry with nebraska...yet we establish a black Friday game the first time out and almost over night start a rivalry. Its just gotta hurt bad for the clowns. ...which is what they deserve anyway...its just ISU.

I'll ask this to Hawk fans.

I'll ask this to Cyclone fans.

Why?

Super+Fan.jpg

I guess I want the series to end because I think it would severely Pi$$ off clown fans. I know many clown fans who base their entire season on beating Iowa...and ending the Iowa series would put a dent in their fan base. The game is likely the most important game of the year for both teams but has way more weight for ISU fans. If the series ended I think Iowa would fare much better forgetting about the rivalry than ISU. Ames has NO other rival so they are all in for the Iowa Game...the Iowa Nebraska rivalry has HUGE national potential. A 3 way rivalry between IA-WI-NE would make Ames an afterthought in no time. Meanwhile ISU would just wallow away in Ames. One thing I do know, there isn't a clown fan out there that isn't seething with jealousy over an Iowa vs. Nebraska trophy game. It is a slap in their face that they couldn't generate any semblance of a rivalry with nebraska...yet we establish a black Friday game the first time out and almost over night start a rivalry. Its just gotta hurt bad for the clowns. ...which is what they deserve anyway...its just ISU.

So you want to end the game because it was would **** off ISU fans......yet Iowa fans aren't obsessed. You have no idea how many Hawk fans think their season was better than ISU's in basketball this last year because they won a head to head match in December....even though they didn't make the NCAAs.....how is that now treating the game as their superbowl?

I am not jealous of Iowa vs. Nebraska one bit. It isn't even a rivalry...Iowa hasn't beaten them in over 30 years.

Have always enjoyed the series, therefore I hope it stays.

We can all debate the importance but no matter what anyone says ISU is Iowa's biggest rival. If this site is an indication to the pulse of the state, no other team compares to ISU in regards to loathing the Hawk fans have towards another school. ISU reins superior in all things hate when it comes to us Hawkeye fans. I personally enjoy not liking that school and believe my dislike would slip several notches without an every year game.

Nationally Iowa/Nebraska doesn't draw a lot of interest. The only claim it has to national relevancy is that the game occupies a time slot that used to have Oklahoma/Nebraska which was a national rivalry in the 70s & 80s.

However Nebraska, while still solid, is nowhere near the program they once were. Iowa is a middling B10 program. It has potential to be a good Midwest rivalry if Iowa has to find a way to compete. 4 games in the last 14 years, all Nebraska wins, 3 blowouts. The only non-blowout game was so awful to watch it made eyes bleed.

As for the ISU game. The risk reward/reward isn't good. As said before, Iowa wins = no big deal. Iowa loses = kills credibility.

Well in that same vein, you'd have to cancel most of your season then. We are a big 12 team, a loss to us is better than a loss to CMU. Your argument is silly.

WTF are you talking about? Whole season = one game vs CMU? At any rate, A loss to a sh!tty team like CMU is equal to a loss to a sh!tty team like ISU. The loss to ISU is arguably WORSE. Central Michigan had a winning record and actually won their bowl game. Your logic is silly.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? Whole season = one game vs CMU? At any rate, A loss to a sh!tty team like CMU is equal to a loss to a sh!tty team like ISU. The loss to ISU is arguably WORSE. Central Michigan had a winning record and actually won their bowl game. Your logic is silly.

So much win here.

omg-turtle-is-amazed.gif

A lot of you seem to still think it is 1985. I bet you are still admiring your Morgan Fairchild poster, chuckling at Weird Al, and jamming to the slick bass line from Billie Jean.

As mentioned many times by the HawkeyeNation Brethren, we could schedule more meaningful games versus more reputable competition that could appeal on a national level.

As a fan, it is a lose/lose scenario for me.

If Iowa loses the game, all year I hear about it.
If Iowa wins the game, all I hear is how Iowa should have because they get better recruits and should have.
This annoys me to no end.

But let's also not forget that this series led to three of the dumbest looking trophies in all of sports. The worst part being that the current catastrophe is more about the sponsor of the trophy, rather than the game itself, at least IMO.
History of the Cy-Hawk | College Sports Madness
The Quiet Man: The new Cy-Hawk Trophy stinks
Pic For Iowa: New Cy-Hawk Trophy - Fight For Iowa