What are you guys hearing about BCS?

Do you think anyone watches the Insight bowl now unless their teams are in it?

Yes, people are watching them or they would not be on TV. At minimum I watch the B1G teams to see how they matchup against other conferences.

It's not going to have a major impact on the bowl games, if anything it will bring back the tradition. It adds only three games to the schedule and frees up the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar bowls to go BACK to thier traditional conference alignments.

Bowl season kicks off with the first round playoffs around xmas. This ADDS excitement to the beginning of the bowl season. Round two is on New Years day along with traditonal New Years bowl games like the Rose.

It ends around Jan 7th with the most exciting and meaningful bowl game in the history of college football.

The ONLY bowls that loose luster in this scenario are the mediocre "January" bowl games that don't really mean much anyway.

Besides all that an 8 team playoff is probably the ONLY way Iowa ever wins a NC. We are unlikely to ever make a BCS title game. However we CAN win the B10 title game and get a shot in an 8 team playoff.

Everything you describe here ruins the bowl system. No one would care about any of the bowls and a ton of money would be lost. This would also have a huge negative impact on the economy of those communities that host bowl games. Bowl games are unique in that they offer a holiday like atmosphere and a lot of people use them as getaway vacations. A playoff system like this completely changes all of that. The only way a playoff system would work is by having them hosted at the lower seeds sites, no way would you get full stadiums by having all three rounds hosted at neutral sites.

A plus 1 is the only way to go.

Yes, people are watching them or they would not be on TV. At minimum I watch the B1G teams to see how they matchup against other conferences.

Everything you describe here ruins the bowl system. No one would care about any of the bowls and a ton of money would be lost. This would also have a huge negative impact on the economy of those communities that host bowl games. Bowl games are unique in that they offer a holiday like atmosphere and a lot of people use them as getaway vacations. A playoff system like this completely changes all of that. The only way a playoff system would work is by having them hosted at the lower seeds sites, no way would you get full stadiums by having all three rounds hosted at neutral sites.

Looks like we are going to disagree here also. Again the luster has come off the bowls a long time ago, and they did it themselves by making me watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

An 8 team playoff adds exactly 3 games to the bowl season, games that would be very highly watched.

To do that you would probably have to eliminate 3 bottom of the barrel bowl games (The Potato bowl plus two others), that would be a GOOD thing.

The remainder of the bowls would be unaffected. All the other bowls will continue to offer getaway vaccations, teams will continue to enjoy going, and fans will continue to watch.

Again if anything it will allow tradition to come BACK to the bowl games, as the Rose Bowl can go back to always pitting the B10 V the P10. The Orange can go Big12 V ACC. Etc...

The only thing I can't figure out is why you like being wrong so much. :D

Ruining the bowl system would be a great thing! Hosting a playoff game would generate revenue for the host city that would otherwise go to the bowl city. I'd love to see this happen in some form.

I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.

It's really not hard. The AP and coaches polls would simply not vote until week 8. Who cares about what Rivals, Bleacher Report, or any other random ranking says? Those polls have zero impact on the BCS.

Which is why there should be no playoff in College football, because there would still be rankings and politics involved in determining who is in the playoffs. College doesn't have divisions and salary caps, we have conferences and tradition.

Bowl week(s) is the best time of the year, college football everyday all day...leave it alone. Already have the NFL for a playoff system that allows 6 and 7 loss teams to win the title.

Agree 100%. Playoffs suck.

Looks like we are going to disagree here also. Again the luster has come off the bowls a long time ago, and they did it themselves by making me watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

An 8 team playoff adds exactly 3 games to the bowl season, games that would be very highly watched.

To do that you would probably have to eliminate 3 bottom of the barrel bowl games (The Potato bowl plus two others), that would be a GOOD thing.

The remainder of the bowls would be unaffected. All the other bowls will continue to offer getaway vaccations, teams will continue to enjoy going, and fans will continue to watch.

Again if anything it will allow tradition to come BACK to the bowl games, as the Rose Bowl can go back to always pitting the B10 V the P10. The Orange can go Big12 V ACC. Etc...

The only thing I can't figure out is why you like being wrong so much. :D

Duff, you can't have it both ways. They either need to keep the bowl system and do a +1 or get rid of the bowl system and go to a 16 team playoff. Once you go to a play off system these bowls will be worthless. I know you argue they are worthless now but at least now you feel like they are playing for something. With a playoff system the bowls will be like the NIT, CBI, and CIT for basketball.

BTW, I could care less if I am wrong or not. After being married for 15 years you forget what it feels like to be right anyway. ;)

How will NCAA and SEC argue that 4 SEC teams should be in playoff. Alambama vs Arkansas in one bracket LSU vs Florida in another!? Has to be 8 teams playoff to throw us weak conferences a bone, plus let us keep our other bowls so we don't feel left out.

It's really not hard. The AP and coaches polls would simply not vote until week 8. Who cares about what Rivals, Bleacher Report, or any other random ranking says? Those polls have zero impact on the BCS.

You serious who cares? If Iowa's 6-1 you aint going to be looking at ESPN and CBS sports power rankings every week to see where we are at? If their isn't any official rankings, everyone would care about the unofficial ones. And then when the official ones finally came out I guarantee you they'd look exactly like the "unofficial" ones.

Looks like we are going to disagree here also. Again the luster has come off the bowls a long time ago, and they did it themselves by making me watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. An 8 team playoff adds exactly 3 games to the bowl season, games that would be very highly watched. To do that you would probably have to eliminate 3 bottom of the barrel bowl games (The Potato bowl plus two others), that would be a GOOD thing. The remainder of the bowls would be unaffected. All the other bowls will continue to offer getaway vaccations, teams will continue to enjoy going, and fans will continue to watch. Again if anything it will allow tradition to come BACK to the bowl games, as the Rose Bowl can go back to always pitting the B10 V the P10. The Orange can go Big12 V ACC. Etc... The only thing I can't figure out is why you like being wrong so much. :D
Duff, you can't have it both ways. They either need to keep the bowl system and do a 1 or get rid of the bowl system and go to a 16 team playoff. Once you go to a play off system these bowls will be worthless. I know you argue they are worthless now but at least now you feel like they are playing for something. With a playoff system the bowls will be like the NIT, CBI, and CIT for basketball.BTW, I could care less if I am wrong or not. After being married for 15 years you forget what it feels like to be right anyway. ;)

respectfully there are currently 35 post season games, 34 of which have nothing to do with the national championship and everything to do with pride. how does a playoff/bowl combo change that? will the insight bowl mean less? how? why?

Still don't buy it. I think if anything happens it occurs in 2014 and happens with an announcement on superconferences. As it is right now it just completely is loaded to give the B12 an automatic team in and the SEC with two others. Scott and Delaney will be vying for one spot with every other team in the country, while playing brutal schedules. I just don't see how it is good business.

respectfully there are currently 35 post season games, 34 of which have nothing to do with the national championship and everything to do with pride. how does a playoff/bowl combo change that? will the insight bowl mean less? how? why?

I cannot explain it any better than I already have. Right now you go to the Insight Bowl you are playing for a trophy, it feels like an accomplishment because you are Insight Bowl Champs. With a playoff system it will be like ok you won the Insight Bowl but so what, you did not make the playoffs. Once there is a playoff system reaching the playoffs will be the only thing that matters.

I cannot explain it any better than I already have. Right now you go to the Insight Bowl you are playing for a trophy, it feels like an accomplishment because you are Insight Bowl Champs. With a playoff system it will be like ok you won the Insight Bowl but so what, you did not make the playoffs. Once there is a playoff system reaching the playoffs will be the only thing that matters.

The bowl system will eventually die off once a playoff system is implemented.

You don't think it's allready so what who cares its the insight bowl?

Bowl games suck. I don't even get that excited when Iowa wins one.

That means you don't go on bowl trips. I will say, I don't go on bowl trips below Outback when it's Iowa playing. Not because I don't respect the bowl exactly, but because I don't like the destinations. However, having said that, I don't really celebrate wins below Outback either.

For me, I would prefer the 16 team superconferences with 4 division champs who play each other in an internal conference 2 round playoff and sending the finalists of the big four into a two game playoff.

That would give you a defacto 16 team playoff, but have the first two rounds be conference games. That could also work to seed other bowls, e.g., losers of conference championships play. Losers of divisional games play, etc.

The bowl system will eventually die off once a playoff system is implemented.

That is what I have been trying to say. Any kind of a playoff system outside a +1 will ruin the bowl system.

You don't think it's allready so what who cares its the insight bowl?

It is but we are all still watching it and a ton of Hawk fans are going to these destinations. Why do you think all these bowls love Iowa so much?

That means you don't go on bowl trips. I will say, I don't go on bowl trips below Outback when it's Iowa playing. Not because I don't respect the bowl exactly, but because I don't like the destinations. However, having said that, I don't really celebrate wins below Outback either.

For me, I would prefer the 16 team superconferences with 4 division champs who play each other in an internal conference 2 round playoff and sending the finalists of the big four into a two game playoff.

That would give you a defacto 16 team playoff, but have the first two rounds be conference games. That could also work to seed other bowls, e.g., losers of conference championships play. Losers of divisional games play, etc.

I've never been fortunate enough to go that's true but even then it wouldn't be the bowl game itself I'd care about. It'd be because I was there that I cared. I went to a Cubs game September last year, a game that was meaningless and I cheered like a playoff game. At home I often don't bother to watch when they are that far out and even if I don't I'm not really emotionally invested.

Latest posts