what are the chances someone redshirts?

I think if any of the bigs redshirt it should be Olaseni. I think the only reason why he did not redshirt last year was due to need.

i believe the all star games were last week. and i understand he is playing in another league and fran gave his blessing. what i am saying is that those things to me come as there might be an underlying reason as to why he gave permission considering that ingram would be missing valuable practice time with his future teammates...it isnt about the ptl it is about practicing with iowa.

i have no idea if anyone will redshirt. and in basketball it is becoming almost nonexistent that players redshirt but with the depth i and other factors i posed the question. i think we will see a 10 man rotation if you do the numbers:
pg - gesell & clemmons (2)
sg - ogelsby & ingram (2)
sf - marble & may (2)
pf - white, basabe & meyer (3)
c - woodbury, mccabe & olaseni (3)

that equals 12 players...that is 2 guys not getting much if any time. now with injuries you cant count on perfect 10 man rotation but it is a possiblity to rs 1 or 2 guys for the 6 reasons i give.

Do you really think May is good enough to get decent playing time? I really hope he sits.

I think if any of the bigs redshirt it should be Olaseni. I think the only reason why he did not redshirt last year was due to need.

I was on board with this until Uthoff decided to come to Iowa. If they redshirt Gabe they would then have 7 scholarships tied up in one class.

Gabe RS SO
Uthoff RS SO
Woodbury SO
Gesell SO
Ingram SO
Clemmons SO
Meyer SO

That is not going to happen. It is best to have Gabe leave the program with the class he was brought in with.

I think if the staff would of had the luxery of spending more time in Gabes development last year he would of been a solid contributor. He was injured the first part of the year, and the staff had to spend a lot of time preparing for the conference games during the season. They have stated he has been doing great this off season. It sounds like he should be ready to go when the season starts. I hope its true anyway.

For what it's worth, Fran recently made a comment on how Gabe has made the most progress out of anyone this spring...

Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery says Melsahn Basabe ‘has been spectacular’ this spring | TheGazette

Its not worth much as we have seen the kind of praise Fran has given his players.

Its probably not entirely untrue that Gabe has made the most progress, just given how far behind he was than everybody else. He has only been playing organized basketball for a few years.

I think if the staff would of had the luxery of spending more time in Gabes development last year he would of been a solid contributor. He was injured the first part of the year, and the staff had to spend a lot of time preparing for the conference games during the season. They have stated he has been doing great this off season. It sounds like he should be ready to go when the season starts. I hope its true anyway.

herby?

Woodbury needs to redshirt
Woodbury is a Soph Les Jepsen
A redshirt would be huge for Woodbury

I hope you're joking. We will NEED Woodbudy this upcoming season for sure. Sure, it'd be nice to have the luxury of redshirting him, but we don't have that luxury. His size in the middle is very much needed.

herby?

too easy to follow for this to be herby...also it is too subtle on the olaseni front for herby...no double double prediction and no 5 blocks per game prediction.

The other positive about not red-shirting anyone for non-medical reasons is that in later years if there is an injury or medical issue the red-shirt hasn't been burned and available.

Yes, not only that but inevitably someone will end up leaving for grades, homesickness, lack of pt ect. It always happens.

Thats why you don't worry about balancing out the classes at the sake of picking up an extra win or two because 9 times out of 10 it ends up taking care of itself.

Its not worth much as we have seen the kind of praise Fran has given his players.

Its probably not entirely untrue that Gabe has made the most progress, just given how far behind he was than everybody else. He has only been playing organized basketball for a few years.

Agreed. Coming on the heels of last summers most improved player, Eric May, along with many of Frans other flattering statments I will have to see it to believe it.

I think Fran has high hopes for Gabe which aren't totally crazy because he does have that Serge Ibabka body type with the long arms and quick bounce but without the instincts at this point.

Latest posts