What are the best basketball programs, job wise?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
We have heard people say this school or that school is a top X job, etc...I have felt Illinois was one of the best jobs in then nation, but clearly that is not the case as they have been turned down by some higher profile names the last two times they have gone looking for programs.

The best programs don't do this, or rarely...the best programs don't usually pluck from the mid-major pool, they get marquee names.

Let's see how this lines up with the Big Ten.

IOWA:

Lute Olson came from LB State
George Raveling came from Washington State
Tom Davis came from Stanford, BC before that
Steve Alford came from SW Mo State, Sweet 16 hot name
Todd Lickliter came from Butler
Fran McCaffery came from Sienna, lifer mid-major HC

-Olson: Iowa was coming off the Dick Schultz era, then the worst in Iowa history. Olson turned it around and had Iowa flying
-Raveling turned Wazzu around and it was a BCS to BCS move
-Davis: Another BCS to BCS move
-Alford: He was THE hot name at the time from the lower ranks
-Lickliter: Coach of the Year, but Iowa job not as valued at this time
-McCaffery: Iowa had little chance at any buzz name due to state of program

McCaffery has always been a builder, which is what Iowa was going to need. He is getting the fans back, the facilities have been upgraded and Iowa has a chance at creating some great momentum and get the program back to national relevance, which will help them the next time they are looking for a coach.

Now, do the same with Illinois...I have had them wrong...as this exercise may illustrate:

Lou Hensen was the longtime Illinois coach, 1975-1996. Illinois was a very good program, and they were able to get a solid coach from a BCS conference in Lon Kruger, who had, three years prior, taken Florida to the Final Four.

When Kruger left after four mixed years (4th, 1st, 11th, 5th), the program dipped into the mid-major ranks and hired Bill Self from Tulsa. At the time, Tulsa was pumping out good coaches...Self was the hot name and Illinois got him.

Self leaves Illinois for Kansas, which is a bit of a mark against Illinois as a Top program and Illinois gets turned down by some big names, and turns to Bruce Weber. Weber did a solid job at SIU, but that program had a good history of great regular season basketball. He inherited a very talented team that Self put together and they made it to the Sweet 16 in his first year and were the runner up in his second year. Since then, they made four NCAA tourney's never getting out of the second round, one NIT and this year's nothing and he is gone.

Now, Illinois is struggling to find a coach. Shaka turns them down. The program is not an elite destination any longer.

Elite destination usually get a top tier name from an established BCS conference school, or a school who has been a player on the national scene for a number of years (say a Xavier, Gonzaga, although that didn't work out for Minnesota). (Speaking of Minnesota..it has sneaky appeal due to the city of Minneapolis and the talent pool)

Kansas: Hired Self from Illinois
UNC: Hired Roy Williams from KU, which may make it the most elite of elites
Kentucky: Hired Calipari from Memphis, got Pitino
Indiana: Hired Crean from Marquette, got Sampson from successful OU run
UCLA: has regularly hired coaches from BCS jobs

In the Big Ten, you don't find too many jobs that fit this model. Izzo came from within. Ohio State hired Thad Matta out of Xavier. Michigan did pull John Belein from WVU, so there is one. Wisconsin plucked Bo Ryan from the lower levels. Tubby went to MN, but he had worn out his welcome in Kentucky. Purdue hired Painter from one year at SIU, with Purdue ties.

There are really few 'Elite' jobs...but you can probably find them through their coaching hiring history, or at least support the argument

Last edited:
A big reason why Illinois cannot get a big name coach is due to how dirty recruiting Chicago has become. The fan base expects whoever becomes coach at Illinois to be able to recruit Chicago, basically you have to cheat in order to recruit Chicago. That is if you expect to land the big names.

The only truly elite job in the B1G is Indiana. But I think by the time Matta or Izzo retire, both of those schools will have reached that level.

Otherwise, UNC, Louisville, KU, UK, Duke, UCLA, UConn, Syracuse.

After George Raveling left I remember Al McGuire saying Iowa was one of the top five jobs in the country. Now it isn't a top five job in the BIG. After CHA was built, did the AD put any money into basketball. It seems like men's basketball was a lower priorty than women's crew.

#1 has to be Kentucky- history of success, rabid fan base that I am sure comes through financially, ability to dominate the conference and doesn't have strong football to compete with basketball for attention.

#2 I would say is Kansas. Three consecutive elite coaches in Self, Williams and Larry Brown. Similar to Kentucky in that basketball is clearly the top sport and because of the success of prior coaches have a national recruiting base.

#3 UNC- two elite coaches over the last 4 decades, tons of success, nationwide recruiting and a strong alumni base to grab quality coaches from.

#4 Indiana- Knight built the tradition and Crean is ready to capitalize on it. Davis had success there and Sampson would have if he wasn't a serial cheater. Great in state talent that likely grow up Indiana fans.

I really can't put another school up with those four jobs. Schools like Syracuse, UConn and Duke have had the same coach for so long you can't definitively say that when they leave that the success will be sustained.

I really can't put another school up with those four jobs. Schools like Syracuse, UConn and Duke have had the same coach for so long you can't definitively say that when they leave that the success will be sustained.

UConn will be one to watch..were it not for ESPN being in their home town, I would think they'd be ripe for a fall. Syracuse is a good destination for NY talent...and UConn is closer to NYC than is Syracuse.

Duke's entrance requirements gives them a hurdle, but they have done so well and much of that is due to Coach K..but they were not off the radar before he got there..they had a rich history of conference titles, NCAA appearances, Sweet 16 appearances, etc, before Coach K arrived.

I would say Indiana and Ohio State are both elite jobs in the Big Ten. Matta was hired away from Xavier, where he had worked for 3 years after leaving Butler. They have great facilities there, despite not being a "basketball school." In other conferences, I would say:
ACC: Duke, UNC
Big XII: Kansas, Texas (very similar to Ohio State in terms of what kind of basketball program they are)
Big East: UConn, Syracuse, Louisville
Pac-12: UCLA, Arizona
SEC: Kentucky, Florida (Same boat as Texas and OSU: great facilities, deep pockets, rich recruiting, despite being a "football school")

Edit: I'm torn on Michigan State and Michigan. I think both schools are in the next tier of 20 or so schools.

Last edited:
How about Texas? You would always be second fiddle but would have a lot of resources behind you.

Penders made his way there from Rhode Island. Rick Barnes replaced Penders and got there from Clemson...via Providence...he took over that club one year after Pitino left, as they had a one year stint with Gordie Chiesa

Best pure basketball tradition:

1.NC
2.Kentucky
3.UCLA
4.Kansas
5.Indiana

Best modern day top ten jobs; Coaching salaries, facilities, fan base, recruiting location, ect.

1. Kentucky
2. North Carolina
3. UCONN
4. Kansas
5. Duke
6. Syracuse
7. Florida
8. Ohio State
9. MSU
10. Texas

I'm sure I forgot someone

Jon,

Ohio State didn't hire Thad Matta from Butler. He was at Xavier when they hired him. You are better than that!

Kentucky is #1 easily. KU is #2. North Carolina is #3.
UCLA is a top destination, but they have struggled lately.

I disagree with Kentucky being easily #1. They may be #1, but not easily. There are two major issues I would have if I were (hypothetically) offered the Kentucky job:
1. If the team falls off for even a year or two, I'm out of a job. (See Billy Gillispie)
2. No matter how good the teams are, no matter how good the facilities are, no matter how much fan support there is, at the end of the day, I would still have to live in the state of Kentucky. Among the top 10 jobs, the destination is worse for UK than any other school.

Edit: I suppose #1 is true of every blue blood school, but it seems to be even more true at UK than other schools.

Jon,

Ohio State didn't hire Thad Matta from Butler. He was at Xavier when they hired him. You are better than that!

From John's OP: "In the Big Ten, you don't find too many jobs that fit this model. Izzo came from within. Ohio State hired Thad Matta out of Xavier."

Very few elite. Kentrucky, NC, and Kansas really stand out. Indiana ans MSU are as close to the list as anyone in the Big10. OSU doesn't make it because they are still football first. They've had ups and downs in the last decade even.

A better discussion might be what jobs SHOULD be better than they are...

For the life of me I don't understand why St John's isn't a powerhouse. I don't understand how UCLA can consistently under achieve. I realize that DePaul doesn't have an on campus arena and that hurts, but how are they not competeitive at all?

Latest posts