Whar Signing Day Coverage?

Do you understand what the term legacy means in recruiting? It wasnt happening and there is nothing the Iowa coaches could have done about it.

Iowa signed something like 4 of the top 6 kids in the state this year, 1 went to the best program in the nation and the other was born a Clone. You are being a drama queen.

Look at Mr. Highandmighty here. The guy makes a good point. Good programs don't give a flying **** if a kid is a legacy to some other school or not, they get them to turn their back on their heritage. Thus the reason Lizard never looked at us. We aren't good, at least in historical terms. With that said I fully expect Iowa to mop up the in state talent next year. Iowa's eight win season combined with ISU's diarrhea of a season should tip the scales back greatly in favor of Iowa.

To me this is troubling. I don't care what his background is Iowa should always have a chance with in state kids. Hayden always used to believe that you couldn't be the best at anything unless you were the best in your own state. That's why he bitchmade ISU for all those years, on and off the field. If a kid like Lazard with his background had been a recruit during Fry's era do you think he still would have ended up at ISU? Probably not. If Iowa wants to paint this pretty picture that we are truly the best school in the state, especially at football then Iowa needs to be winning these recruits. No kid in Iowa with a commitable offer should ever pick ISU over Iowa, never. The biggest mistake this staff ever made was not picking up and running with Fry's in state philosophy, and that is why ISU is continually making strides year after year.

I think you're worrying a little bit too much. We historically can't recruit WR's worth jack, so why should we have had a shot with a LEGACY recruit? I think we'll be fine next year with in-state recruiting.

Look at Mr. Highandmighty here. The guy makes a good point. Good programs don't give a flying **** if a kid is a legacy to some other school or not, they get them to turn their back on their heritage. Thus the reason Lizard never looked at us. We aren't good, at least in historical terms. With that said I fully expect Iowa to mop up the in state talent next year. Iowa's eight win season combined with ISU's diarrhea of a season should tip the scales back greatly in favor of Iowa.

This would hold more weight if Lazard had looked at anybody else besides Iowa. Lazard was always going to be a Clone no matter what Iowa, or anybody else did.

This class is well below average, even by Iowa standards.

Actually its not.

Since the 2002 class, the average star ranking for an Iowa recruit is 2.79.

This years class has an average star ranking of..........you guessed it, 2.79!!!

Rivals ratings.

I didn't feel like paying $9.95,

Can anyone tell me if anything crazy happened for Iowa today? No last minute steals or kids getting away? Remember when Everson switched from MSU on signing day? That was crazy, and turned out horrible.

If they can get on the field sophmore year, then they're going to be ok. I am always concered about the talent of a guy who can't get on the field until he's a SR.

I didn't feel like paying $9.95,

Can anyone tell me if anything crazy happened for Iowa today? No last minute steals or kids getting away? Remember when Everson switched from MSU on signing day? That was crazy, and turned out horrible.

From what I have heard in regards to Iowa everything went as planned. No late out of the blue commits and no out of the blue kids jumping ship. Pretty straight forward.

Why not just have a real Soap Opera on ESPNU titled "Signing Day", have beautiful kids who can't act stare into each others eyes and talk about the future. Have some evil music come on when one of the coaches makes an in-home visit, maybe throw in some historical events or weather disasters for more drama.

Except for a couple of guys this class makes the sound of that when a wet rag is thrown against the wall. Definitely a byproduct of 4-8 last year. Unfortunately it's classes like these that lead to the cycle that creates those 4-8 type years. Vicious cycle.

explain the years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. The big factor in recruiting is retaining the guys you sign.

See the class of 2009 for a lesson in how 2012 happens.

it's not necessarily 'stars' it's developing and retaining players in each class so you end up with strong and deep juniors and seniors.

^ I agree, the attrition we had in 2008 and 2009 classes (or thereabouts) was a program killer more so than the number of stars the kids had.

Class of 2009:

Dominic Alvis - NR - DE gray shirt that earned scholy
Stephane Ngoumou - 2star WR-never arrived
Nolan MacMillan - 3star OT- Lots of offers including MSU, GT, L'ville. Listed on last 2-deep roster as backup LT
Micah Hyde - 2star QB- Offers from Cincy and MAC. Did not RS. All B1G performer in NFL now with great rookie season.
Connor Boffeli - 2star TE- ISU offered. Starting LG after starting final 3 games as JR
Dakota Getz - 2star TE- had to leave team last fall due to continued injuries
Matt Murphy - 2star OT- left for NIACC and currently at MN St-Mankato
Josh Brown - 2star WR - Offers L'ville, IU, WF, So.FL. left after FR yr to be closer to home and went to Murray St
Marty Hopkins - 2star MLB - Gave up FB for school
Shane Dibona - 2star RB - injuries forced him to quit last yr
Tyler Harrell - 2star DE offers from Cincy and MAC- never made it and went to Louisville
Anthony Schiavone - 2star TE offers from Buffalo and Temple- left after 1st semester at Iowa.
Scott Covert - 2star DE offer by Pitt - switched to FB then left school after 2 yrs.
Brett Van Slotten - 2star OT- starting OT. Saw action as RS FR, much more as So, and started all 12 games last year.
Brandon Wegher - 4star RB with lots of offers inclu Auburn, TT, PSU - set some FR rushing records and shined in Orange Bowl. Personal issues led to leaving school with brief stop at camp for Ok Sooners, then IWCC and now practicing at Morningside.
Keenan Davis - 4star WR lots of offers Neb, OK, ASU, IL, CO - played as True Fr and went on to start at least 24 games. FA for Miami NFL today.
Drew Clark - 2star OG with ISU offer- saw very little action in 4 yrs, then decided this summer to retire from FB and focus on Engineering degree
Jordan Cotton - 3star WR offers from Wisc, ISU, KU - listed on 2 deeps . 1st team All B1G kick returner. started 1 game at WR.
Brad Rogers - 2star FB - saw action as RS Fr. Started 1 game as So, and 7 as JR but limited due to health (heart) problems and forced to retire last fall.

Scout ranked #75, last in B1G. Far and away Ferentz's lowest rated class.

8 guys from 2009 class that have actually contributed, but 2 of them gone before SR year (Wegher and Rogers).
12 of 19 players did not make it to SR (3 or 4 for injuries).
2 exhausted their eligibility in 4 yrs and are in NFL today (Hyde drafted, Davis Practice sq)
2 listed as starters on 2-deep roster coming into Fall Camp (Van Sloten, Boffeli) 3 if you count Cotton as KR

It passed as acceptable to load up on 3-, 2- and no stars back in the day when Iowa could coach them up to competitive D1 players. Norm died and Ken O'Keefe was encouraged to find work elsewhere, and lack of talent under the current regime has become painfully apparent.

It passed as acceptable to load up on 3-, 2- and no stars back in the day when Iowa could coach them up to competitive D1 players. Norm died and Ken O'Keefe was encouraged to find work elsewhere, and lack of talent under the current regime has become painfully apparent.

2 and 3 star better than a handful of players left in a class. take a look at 2009. has nothing to do with norm dying or ken *leaving on his own*. has everything to do with attrition and the fact that iowa has and always will be a developmental program, just like most programs. it's not like the SEC with their own recruiting ability and rules.

explain the years 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. The big factor in recruiting is retaining the guys you sign.

See the class of 2009 for a lesson in how 2012 happens.

it's not necessarily 'stars' it's developing and retaining players in each class so you end up with strong and deep juniors and seniors.

Kirk squeezed every last ounce of talent he could out of those guys and got them to stay in the program. If 75% to 85% of this years class sticks around all four/five years things will be OK. But if things start happening like they did with the 08/09 classes we will be right back here again in a few years.

Kirk squeezed every last ounce of talent he could out of those guys and got them to stay in the program. If 75% to 85% of this years class sticks around all four/five years things will be OK. But if things start happening like they did with the 08/09 classes we will be right back here again in a few years.

that's my point. if this class was all 5* and had the attrition that '08/'09 had, we'd be in the same boat. this staff has shown that it can identify talent and develop it. But to develop talent they have to stick around to be developed.

Except for a couple of guys this class makes the sound of that when a wet rag is thrown against the wall. Definitely a byproduct of 4-8 last year. Unfortunately it's classes like these that lead to the cycle that creates those 4-8 type years. Vicious cycle.

Nice touch.

To me this is troubling. I don't care what his background is Iowa should always have a chance with in state kids. Hayden always used to believe that you couldn't be the best at anything unless you were the best in your own state. That's why he bitchmade ISU for all those years, on and off the field. If a kid like Lazard with his background had been a recruit during Fry's era do you think he still would have ended up at ISU? Probably not. If Iowa wants to paint this pretty picture that we are truly the best school in the state, especially at football then Iowa needs to be winning these recruits. No kid in Iowa with a commitable offer should ever pick ISU over Iowa, never. The biggest mistake this staff ever made was not picking up and running with Fry's in state philosophy, and that is why ISU is continually making strides year after year.

LOL what? mrs rhoads, is that you?

LOL what? mrs rhoads, is that you?

Laugh it up fuzzball. Seriously though if you pay any attention to the sports rumblings around the central part of the state there is so much more fan enthusiasm surrounding that program from L'Ames in comparison to Iowa. Maybe it's just because it doesn't take much to excite them, I dunno.

Latest posts