We're going to be good next year

Look at us. Comparing who has the quickest 1st step of 4 slow guys. Thats been Iowa's problem all year long..we can't keep anyone from driving it down our throats. Michigan 3-19 from long range and will still get beat by 6.
Totally agree. Preaching to the choir with me. I’ve been saying all year that we can’t play all those guys. We stand no chance on defense with all those slow footed guys running around.

I'm ready to call my shot. We're an NCAA tourney team next year.

We have 5 freshman/soph starters that will all be a year older and adding Connor and Weiskamp adds the depth we need from a guard position. Now we just need to cut down the rotation.

JBo (we know defense is his weakness but his 3 point shot making is elite)
Moss (year older, need more consistency)
Nunge (keep him as a starter. I think this is one of the key changes that helped the team improve on D)
Cook (year older, he'll be better)
Garza (year older, he'll be better)

Connor (just need him to be a role player, take care of the ball)
Dailey (I think he's a decent overall player, decent defender, decent scorer, shooter)
Weiskamp (I hope he can really add to the scoring off the bench as a freshman but also don't need him to start)
Baer (Now he can play the 4 position which I think better suits him)
Kriener (spot minutes)

We obviously need to get better at D but I think having all these guys be a year older and go through the frustration of this year, Fran has always said these guys are gym rats... time to get to work and use this year as motivation.

Delusional - incredibly unathletic team - can’t move fast enough to guard their shadows -most guys should be playing a lower level of college ball and that is reflected in their lack of success.

Team of “Try hards” but over matched. Need serious upgrade in athleticism" . College hoops is a guard’s league, need to have at least two more that belong at B10 level and can drain three’s.
Hoping for the best, but not gonna be optimistic until serious personnel changes are Made.

I really focused on the on-ball defense today, and have to say it was almost embarrassingly bad. Michigan penetrated at will and with ease. They scored something like their first 46 points in the paint. That's an amazing statistic for a team known to score a lot on the perimeter. You didn't see a lot of kick-outs, because, well, there was no need to when the lane to the basket was constantly wide open.

Moss essentially was pulled in the first half (once again) for a complete inability to stay in front of his man. Bohannon just can't do it, but at least he looks like he wants to. Baer, well, look, I've always loved the guy but there are times where I just don't get him. I can't quite put a finger on it, but it's almost like he lacks any quick-twitch ability at all. He moves and runs like he's in a trance and his head and shoulders are pulling him to the ground. Nunge was another who was completely embarrassed out there, both on the perimeter and in the post. He'll get better but he's got a long way to go. I think the long season really wore on him. He needs an infusion of mental and physical toughness.

With that said, I don't know how anyone could see this as a tourney team next season. I hope I'm wrong, but that kind of defensive improvement just doesn't happen overnight.

I really hope Cook stays. If he leaves and it's to go anywhere other than Europe I will be really disappointed in him. Transferring to Missouri at this point would be nonsensical.

I really hope Cook stays. If he leaves and it's to go anywhere other than Europe I will be really disappointed in him. Transferring to Missouri at this point would be nonsensical.
Transferring to Missouri would probably make me not like him. Not a fan of that school or Martin.

Cook will most likely be playing elsewhere. That said, that might actually make the team better.
Just not buying that, no one sits out a year if your starting. Will he put his name in the NBA just looking section, maybe? If they are honest with him and he sees where he will be drafted he will be back. Call me not worried. If I'm wrong, who cares? If he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye, nothing we can do about it.

Michigan HC said, “Iowa is th |-| is close Loaded with freshman and sophomores. Look how we did when our juniors and seniors were off the floor.”

It’s possible.

But not without Cook.

You can find the link here or over at HR as well. When asked about his future Tyler remained non-committal which more or less means he will play elsewhere next season. Much speculation about this lately from sources supposedly inside the program that he wants to play at Missouri next year. Also reports of him not renewing his lease. All that doesn't necessarily mean he will leave but it does mean that he doesn't feel 100% committed to staying a Hawk at this point.

Except he can't play "next year' so he transfers to play in '19-'20. Make sense? Is he that miserable being a Hawkeye? He might think he's good enough to play pro ball unfortunately and some sleazeball agent might be willing to fuel that dream.....

Whether we think Cook will transfer or not, or whether we think he should or not, is irrelevant.

One thing is for certain, if he transfers as opposed to going pro on some level, it is a major black mark on our program. There's simply no other way to put it - McCaffery would be losing his prized high-profile recruit due to being disgruntled with the program (despite what spin Tyler tries to put on it).

Perception will suffer (even more than it has already), quickly followed by recruiting.

Whether we think Cook will transfer or not, or whether we think he should or not, is irrelevant.

One thing is for certain, if he transfers as opposed to going pro on some level, it is a major black mark on our program. There's simply no other way to put it - McCaffery would be losing his prized high-profile recruit due to being disgruntled with the program (despite what spin Tyler tries to put on it).

Perception will suffer (even more than it has already), quickly followed by recruiting.
It'd be a major black mark on the AD as well, but honey Barta don't care.

Except he can't play "next year' so he transfers to play in '19-'20. Make sense? Is he that miserable being a Hawkeye? He might think he's good enough to play pro ball unfortunately and some sleazeball agent might be willing to fuel that dream.....
Maybe he doesnt like fran or maybe he'd rather be closer to home??

Yea, i mean i understand the ncaa has become shady. But it would have to be a lot of money to sit a year and hope nba scouts dont lose interest in him. The only way transfering at this point imo, would be a free agent like deal. NCAA needs to clean house.

Who regressed? Baer & Pemsl? Baer had the hand injury and still needs his role reduced more. Pemsl needs removed from the rotation.
When a player "needs his role reduced more", that qualifies as regressing. Removing Pemsl = regressing. Wagner has regressed. Our entire team defense has regressed.

I love the "wait'll next year" approach. But Iowa just finished 4-14 in a down Big Ten. Granted I expect Iowa to be improved next year but I doubt we'll be a NCAA team, especially with Tyler Cook leaving.

At the end of the day I'm guessing we will all be back on here saying "wait'll next year" a year from now.

Reactions: DJL
Just not buying that, no one sits out a year if your starting. Will he put his name in the NBA just looking section, maybe? If they are honest with him and he sees where he will be drafted he will be back. Call me not worried. If I'm wrong, who cares? If he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye, nothing we can do about it.
Yes they do. It happens all the time. If: They don't like the coach, don't think the team can win, want to be closer to home, don't like their teammates, don't like the college community, etc, etc.

Cook is gone, That's pretty obvious after yesterday's interview. So we'll be softer inside and still in need of ball handlers. That's not a formula for great improvement.

Cook will most likely be playing elsewhere. That said, that might actually make the team better.
This is like the stupidest take ever. People were saying we'd be better without Jok because he played such mediocre defense and we had 90% of our offensive production coming back. Obviously we weren't better. This "take away the best player and we'll be better" take is dumb.
Much speculation about this lately from sources supposedly inside the program that he wants to play at Missouri next year.
Well, he won't be playing there next year regardless.

I still just don't get the Cook thing unless he's miserable. Like HATES the team or coaches. If he goes to Missouri he loses a year which hurts his pro potential. He's not going straight to the NBA, don't make me laugh. If he goes to Europe either his family is full of shit about how hard it is not seeing him play or it goes back to then he HATES Iowa. There's kind of no answer here that doesn't make the program look worse.