We're going to be good next year

ibahawkeye

I'm ready to call my shot. We're an NCAA tourney team next year.

We have 5 freshman/soph starters that will all be a year older and adding Connor and Weiskamp adds the depth we need from a guard position. Now we just need to cut down the rotation.

JBo (we know defense is his weakness but his 3 point shot making is elite)
Moss (year older, need more consistency)
Nunge (keep him as a starter. I think this is one of the key changes that helped the team improve on D)
Cook (year older, he'll be better)
Garza (year older, he'll be better)

Connor (just need him to be a role player, take care of the ball)
Dailey (I think he's a decent overall player, decent defender, decent scorer, shooter)
Weiskamp (I hope he can really add to the scoring off the bench as a freshman but also don't need him to start)
Baer (Now he can play the 4 position which I think better suits him)
Kriener (spot minutes)

We obviously need to get better at D but I think having all these guys be a year older and go through the frustration of this year, Fran has always said these guys are gym rats... time to get to work and use this year as motivation.

Big question is if Cook comes back. If Wagner, Dailey & Pemsl all left, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Kriener is a good offensive weapon and he's tall, but he needs to work on defense this off season. Seems like he's always running into his own teammates on defense. Nunge and Garza, hit the weight room. These two can be really good if they work hard in the off season.

Big question is if Cook comes back. If Wagner, Dailey & Pemsl all left, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Kriener is a good offensive weapon and he's tall, but he needs to work on defense this off season. Seems like he's always running into his own teammates on defense. Nunge and Garza, hit the weight room. These two can be really good if they work hard in the off season.

If that doesn't happen... I want this thread deleted.

Cook will most likely be playing elsewhere. That said, that might actually make the team better.

Why is Cook leaving?
Not getting enough playing time?
Some other coach tampering?

Still need a penetrating quick SG or PG, I'd take either. That would add the missing dimension we need to this team IMO. That based on Cook coming back.

If JW starts over Moss I will get excited, otherwise if it's the same starting lineup we will still suck on defense and go nowhere

Quickness and athleticism can help make up for some defensive mishaps, but to not try and contest shots, and giving up easy layups, or tip ins, is just plain nonsense. Fran will never be able to get this defense any better than it is. We can score, that's not an issue, but defense reins supreme if you want to win, especially in the BIG. Somehow, someway, it has to change. Our players and Staff are not the answer

I'm ready to call my shot. We're an NCAA tourney team next year.

We have 5 freshman/soph starters that will all be a year older and adding Connor and Weiskamp adds the depth we need from a guard position. Now we just need to cut down the rotation.

JBo (we know defense is his weakness but his 3 point shot making is elite)
Moss (year older, need more consistency)
Nunge (keep him as a starter. I think this is one of the key changes that helped the team improve on D)
Cook (year older, he'll be better)
Garza (year older, he'll be better)

Connor (just need him to be a role player, take care of the ball)
Dailey (I think he's a decent overall player, decent defender, decent scorer, shooter)
Weiskamp (I hope he can really add to the scoring off the bench as a freshman but also don't need him to start)
Baer (Now he can play the 4 position which I think better suits him)
Kriener (spot minutes)

We obviously need to get better at D but I think having all these guys be a year older and go through the frustration of this year, Fran has always said these guys are gym rats... time to get to work and use this year as motivation.

I like the idea of a 3 guard lineup but I also think that Nunge starting has helped the team defensively.

Latest posts