We're going to be good next year

The fact that we are starting 5 underclassman.

We started 4 underclassmen last year, and we got worse. If we do lose Cook, we lose our best player yet again and we will be much the same next year as this year, or dare I say even worse again.

Why do people think this? Why would Cook play elsewhere?

You can find the link here or over at HR as well. When asked about his future Tyler remained non-committal which more or less means he will play elsewhere next season. Much speculation about this lately from sources supposedly inside the program that he wants to play at Missouri next year. Also reports of him not renewing his lease. All that doesn't necessarily mean he will leave but it does mean that he doesn't feel 100% committed to staying a Hawk at this point.

You can find the link here or over at HR as well. When asked about his future Tyler remained non-committal which more or less means he will play elsewhere next season. Much speculation about this lately from sources supposedly inside the program that he wants to play at Missouri next year. Also reports of him not renewing his lease. All that doesn't necessarily mean he will leave but it does mean that he doesn't feel 100% committed to staying a Hawk at this point.

I just find that crazy because if he transferred to Mizzou he'd have to sit out next season. So no matter what he's not playing there next year.

Quickness and athleticism can help make up for some defensive mishaps, but to not try and contest shots, and giving up easy layups, or tip ins, is just plain nonsense. Fran will never be able to get this defense any better than it is. We can score, that's not an issue, but defense reins supreme if you want to win, especially in the BIG. Somehow, someway, it has to change. Our players and Staff are not the answer

Most of the things you mention have everything to do with speed and quickness.

I had a big old post about why I believe in next year. I deleted it.s

TLDR: everything on the defense end went wrong this year. I can't say for sure say what, but I would lean on give-a-damn. I think this "magically" gets fixed next year. I can't see how the guys don't just see "we need to put forth a bit of heart" of the defensive end. They have the talent (even if you don't think we have the PG we need, I disagree, I love Jbo). At any rate it can't get any worse.

Difficult to inject heart into a heartless team...

Difficult to coach a team into a defensive stalwart, when the head coach doesn't seem to know how to coach defense, or care much about it.

Am I missing something...

If Cook stays Iowa could be in the tourney hunt next year.
If Cook leaves, next year won't be unlike this year and I wouldn't expect the program to rebound until Barta and Fran are gone.

Oh my ...Nunge has helped the team defensively. Wagner abused him down low today. He has the slowest first step on this team.
He has a quicker first step than Garza, Pemsl, and Kriener, and it’s not even close.

Nunge is 2nd on the team in Defensive Box +/-, and that’s even with Fran playing him out of position.

He has a quicker first step than Garza, Pemsl, and Kriener, and it’s not even close.

Nunge is 2nd on the team in Defensive Box +/-, and that’s even with Fran playing him out of position.
Look at us. Comparing who has the quickest 1st step of 4 slow guys. Thats been Iowa's problem all year long..we can't keep anyone from driving it down our throats. Michigan 3-19 from long range and will still get beat by 6.

I'm ready to call my shot. We're an NCAA tourney team next year.

We have 5 freshman/soph starters that will all be a year older and adding Connor and Weiskamp adds the depth we need from a guard position. Now we just need to cut down the rotation.

JBo (we know defense is his weakness but his 3 point shot making is elite)
Moss (year older, need more consistency)
Nunge (keep him as a starter. I think this is one of the key changes that helped the team improve on D)
Cook (year older, he'll be better)
Garza (year older, he'll be better)

Connor (just need him to be a role player, take care of the ball)
Dailey (I think he's a decent overall player, decent defender, decent scorer, shooter)
Weiskamp (I hope he can really add to the scoring off the bench as a freshman but also don't need him to start)
Baer (Now he can play the 4 position which I think better suits him)
Kriener (spot minutes)

We obviously need to get better at D but I think having all these guys be a year older and go through the frustration of this year, Fran has always said these guys are gym rats... time to get to work and use this year as motivation.
The problem with this is it assumes Fran would leave Pemsl and Wagner on the pine, and that is highly unlikely. Let’s see how the attrition pans out first before we predict what our team looks like next year.