Wegher rewards Iowa columnist's support with silence

In my opinion, the "mistakes", which are highly unsubstantiated, are just a cover up. "Mistakes" are not the reason he's no longer a Hawkeye.

Not getting his way on the depth chart is the reason he's no longer a Hawkeye.

So now we have a walk-on, "I'll show you" situation at Oklahoma that I think will end up being just that... a walk-on situation that will never develop into anything else.

Well, that didn't take very long. The tried and true (but in reality false) K-Berg maxim of "he wasn't good enough anyway." Keep up the good work, Brian!

It's exactly why Oklahoma. Going to UNI doesn't have an "I'll show you" play. The fact that RB at the college level isn't the position for him still hasn't sunk in yet.

Iowa either wanted him to stay at RB as #3 (possibly #4 behind Coker) or they wanted him to switch positions... I don't know which situation it was.

Iowa wanted him to stay, but for some reason or another Wegher wasn't getting what "he wanted" from Iowa. End of story.

LOL, where do you come up with this stuff man? The ship sailed on Wegher coming back as a scholarship player months ago...so to say "iowa wanted him to stay" is quite inaccurate.

Secondly, if you think he was tabbed as the 3rd or 4th RB two days into camp...well i do not know what to say. Game playing time is decided in practice. He certainly had a shot to be one of the top 2 backs and get plenty of playing time if he performed in practice.

At the end of the day Iowa is better off without him and the staff knew it which is why is he gone...none of which had to do with his on the field play.

Well, that didn't take very long. The tried and true (but in reality false) K-Berg maxim of "he wasn't good enough anyway." Keep up the good work, Brian!

Barring injury he wasn't going to beat out Hampton, highly unlikely Robinson during the entire 2010 season.

Then in 2011 he was looking at Coker and Hampton to beat out with Robinson still having 2 years left to play. Wasn't going to play at RB because not good enough.... not false, true.

Good enough to play another position, but that obviously wasn't in the cards for Mr. Wegher.

I frankly have no idea now you can even be informed enough to make that comment on any player that essentially had 3 years left. The fact is the coaching staff wanted BW and thought enough of his talents to offer him a full ride to play football.

Questioning his ability on the field is quite odd, he obviously was a good football player and had a chance to continue to get a lot better. If it was about playing time and the depth chart he would not be going to Oklahoma. End of story.

Par for the course for the K-man.

Barring injury he wasn't going to beat out Hampton, highly unlikely Robinson during the entire 2010 season.

Then in 2011 he was looking at Coker and Hampton to beat out with Robinson still having 2 years left to play. Wasn't going to play at RB because not good enough.... not false, true.

Good enough to play another position, but that obviously wasn't in the cards for Mr. Wegher.

Where are Hampton and Robinson now?

Not good enough, eh? Um. ok.

Well, Hampton did get hurt. In week 3. Iowa could have used him then. They could have used him after Robinson got dinged. If you don't think a guy as versatile as Wegher could have been the difference in at least a couple of Iowa's losses, I can't do anything for you.

Then again, you've been banging the "Wegher isn't/wasn't good enough anyway" drum for so long that you really can't stop now.

Well, Hampton did get hurt. In week 3. Iowa could have used him then. They could have used him after Robinson got dinged. If you don't think a guy as versatile as Wegher could have been the difference in at least a couple of Iowa's losses, I can't do anything for you.

Then again, you've been banging the "Wegher isn't/wasn't good enough anyway" drum for so long that you really can't stop now.

I never said we couldn't use him. Don't put words in my mouth.

He wasn't going to play in front of Robinson or Hampton this year. He wasn't better than Coker either.

He isn't dumb. He could see this. No one is saying he isn't good. I'm saying he wasn't good enough to beat out our other RB's.

I think you know the answer and it has nothing to do with their abilities. Hampton got injured and Robinson played his heart out for Iowa...

Neither of them quit.

Oh really? All three of them are no longer Hawkeyes and all as a result of off the field issues. All three of them let down the staff and team.

To claim Wegher would NEVER be the featured back in his career was quite short sighted.

Oh really? All three of them are no longer Hawkeyes and all as a result of off the field issues. All three of them let down the staff and team.

To claim Wegher would NEVER be the featured back in his career was quite short sighted.

You conveniently left out the "barring injuries" part. Of course he might have been the featured back in his career if some of the better RB's (Coker, Hampton, Robinson) became inactive.

You conveniently left out the "barring injuries" part. Of course he might have been the featured back in his career if some of the better RB's (Coker, Hampton, Robinson) became inactive.

He was good enough to get equal carries with Robinson in 2009, so the staff obviously had a lot of faith in him as a true freshman. You seem to forget that...but do not let that get in the way of what you want to think.

if I have this correct, many are scorned because he now wants to play elsewhere? It is OK for him to move on and if he choses to put it behind him, so be it. Let it go people, stop acting like a bitter jealous ex.

I never said we couldn't use him. Don't put words in my mouth.

He wasn't going to play in front of Robinson or Hampton this year. He wasn't better than Coker either.

He isn't dumb. He could see this. No one is saying he isn't good. I'm saying he wasn't good enough to beat out our other RB's.

No, you just said (repeatedly) that he wasn't good enough. If you don't like being called out on your ******** opinions, perhaps you should stop sharing them.

You don't know that he wasn't going to play in front of Hampton. I'd wager that he would have, given Kirks historical tendency to go with the known over the unknown. Going into the season, Wegher/Robinson were known quantities, while Hampton was coming off a knee injury and Coker was a true freshman. You also seem to forget (or ignore, which is just as likely) that Coker broke his collarbone in camp and missed five weeks. That, plus Kirk's tendency to go with known quantity/experience over inexperience/youth would suggest that Wegher would have started over Coker as well.

Obviously, those are just my opinions, but I've got 11 years of history to back me up. If you'll notice, I'm not presenting my opinions as fact, which is something you might want to consider in the future.

Last edited:
I swear he is related to SportsshockjockMatt.

No, I think a difference is that someone like Matt actually believes his own ********. I think the K-Man is just keeping up appearances; as I find it hard to believe that one man can have such a personal vendetta against a 20-year old kid.

No, you just said (repeatedly) that he wasn't good enough. If you don't like being called out on your ******** opinions, perhaps you should stop sharing them.

You don't know that he wasn't going to play in front of Hampton. I'd wager that he would have, given Kirks historical tendency to go with the known over the unknown. Going into the season, Wegher/Robinson were known quantities, while Hampton was coming off a knee injury and Coker was a true freshman. You also seem to forget (or ignore, which is just as likely) that Coker broke his collarbone in camp and missed five weeks. That, plus Kirk's tendency to go with known quantity/experience over inexperience/youth would suggest that Wegher would have started over Coker as well.

Obviously, those are just my opinions, but I've got 11 years of history to back me up. If you'll notice, I'm not presenting my opinions as fact, which is something you might want to consider in the future.

Wow - you think Wegher was going to play over Hampton.... wow.

It's as if you completely ignored everything else I said. You should go back and read and then respond.

Wegher set the freshman rushing record in a full season, while Hamptons freshman year (while impressive) consisted mainly of coming into games after Greene had pounded people for 3 quarters.

You think it's a slam dunk that a guy who mainly played in mop-up duty as a freshman and who was coming off a knee injury was going to start over a guy who had played a full season? Wow.

Last edited:

try again...and read C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y.

"You don't know that he wasn't going to play in front of Hampton. I'd wager that he would have, given Kirks historical tendency to go with the known over the unknown. Going into the season, Wegher/Robinson were known quantities, while Hampton was coming off a knee injury and Coker was a true freshman. You also seem to forget (or ignore, which is just as likely) that Coker broke his collarbone in camp and missed five weeks. That, plus Kirk's tendency to go with known quantity/experience over inexperience/youth would suggest that Wegher would have started over Coker as well"

It really is not that difficult to comprehend and makes a lot more sense than anything you have stated yet.

Latest posts