Wegher rewards Iowa columnist's support with silence

Now that he's gone I'd like to hear the "real" reason he left. I've been told some things by people close to the program, but not sure what to believe.

Brandon Wegher may indeed be a self-involved, ungrateful jerk, as the article posits. However, reporters and columnists aren't owed anything by their subjects, so in reference to this particular column, I have no sympathy for the writer.

I would imagine whatever the reason why he left, Wegher wants to leave his Iowa experience behind. That's fairly clear with how far he's decided to go away for school. Unless Iowa plays Oklahoma again in the near future, I don't think I will find myself that concerned with the life and times of Brandon Wegher. Fans were a little too emotionally involved in him, IMO, both before and after he left.

He deleted any threads that speculated as to why he was taking a leave from the team.

These threads are in reaction to the actual news that he is going to Oklahoma.

Surely even a silly clown fan can tell the difference.

Clown fans are silly and can't tell the difference. And don't call me Shirley.

Brandon Wegher may indeed be a self-involved, ungrateful jerk, as the article posits. However, reporters and columnists aren't owed anything by their subjects, so in reference to this particular column, I have no sympathy for the writer.

How does not calling a reporter back make him self-involved? This reporter is the one who is self-involved. He is trying to make the story of Wegher transfering about himself. It is some of the most pathetic butt hurt I have ever read. I worked in media for a few years, and if a "real" reporter (not some small town nodoby in Siouxer City) published a column like this, they would be ridiculed.

It's as if you completely ignored everything else I said. You should go back and read and then respond.

Wegher set the freshman rushing record in a full season, while Hamptons freshman year (while impressive) consisted mainly of coming into games after Greene had pounded people for 3 quarters.

You think it's a slam dunk that a guy who mainly played in mop-up duty as a freshman and who was coming off a knee injury was going to start over a guy who had played a full season? Wow.

Um...as an FYI...ROBINSON set the freshman rushing record (yards), NOT Wegher...

He deleted any threads that speculated as to why he was taking a leave from the team.

These threads are in reaction to the actual news that he is going to Oklahoma.

Surely even a silly clown fan can tell the difference.

"silly clown fan" is redundant...

How does not calling a reporter back make him self-involved? This reporter is the one who is self-involved. He is trying to make the story of Wegher transfering about himself. It is some of the most pathetic butt hurt I have ever read. I worked in media for a few years, and if a "real" reporter (not some small town nodoby in Siouxer City) published a column like this, they would be ridiculed.

Not calling the reporter back doesn't make Wegher self involved. My point was that the Wegher could be selfish like the author of the article suggests; but even if he is, it has nothing to do with the columnist in question.

Or in other words, I was saying that while Wegher may not win most ethical student athlete of the year, this columnist is full of it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Terry Hersom did not write his column to "whine" about Wegher not talking to him about the transfer but rather as a way to report the very rare recent public comments by a hometown boy in another newspaper.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Terry Hersom did not write his column to "whine" about Wegher not talking to him about the transfer but rather as a way to report the very rare recent public comments by a hometown boy in another newspaper.

That may be so, but it still comes off incredibly "whiny". He sounds just as bitter as some of the folks who post on this board.

I'm not sure I could be as charitable towards such a self-centered young man.

Hersom: Aunt helped make Wegher a Sooner fan

I realize you've all been waiting for me to weigh in, and apologize for the delay. I have read the article, and found it to be laughably self-pitying, featuring 23 uses of the first-person singular. You're a newspaper writer, a form of life even lower than attorneys, so grow up. Brandon owes you jack.

My question is, what does Kaldenberg think? :)

I realize you've all been waiting for me to weigh in, and apologize for the delay. I have read the article, and found it to be laughably self-pitying, featuring 23 uses of the first-person singular. You're a newspaper writer, a form of life even lower than attorneys, so grow up. Brandon owes you jack.

God, I'm glad you weighed in, Billso. I can now sleep peacefully knowing what you think.

As pointed out, Robinson set the freshman rushing record, not Wegher. Heck, had Robinson not been hurt, which resulted in him not being able to play in two games, he would of eclipsed the 1000 yard mark. I too believe Wegher would have been behind Jewel and Robinson. However, with that said, Brandon did present a skill set as a 3rd down back that Imo the other two didn't. Brandon was excellent out of the backfield as a receiver.

Oh and to the Clone fan, yes there are some people "trashing" Brandon, there also is a good number of Hawk fans that are supporting his abilities in this thread.

I don't think Wegher owes the reporter anything.

Latest posts