Wegher for 6

true freshman starting kickoff returner in orange bowl. there's that. i suppose you can't fair catch on a kickoff, so that is the only reason a true freshman got that job.......

My response said nothing about kick returner only starting RB which you noted in your post. I was simply noting that I am not certain Wegher started much if at all at RB in 2009 and that he may not have played as much as he did, nor would have Robinson had Jewell Hampton not torn his ACL. Not saying Jewell should not have been the starter. You were making a back door point that Wegher was an example of a younger guy playing. True, but only as a result of circumstances at RB.

To me there is also a little bit of a gap in importance between a starting RB and starting KR.

My response said nothing about kick returner only starting RB which you noted in your post. I was simply noting that I am not certain Wegher started much if at all at RB in 2009 and that he may not have played as much as he did, nor would have Robinson had Jewell Hampton not torn his ACL. Not saying Jewell should not have been the starter. You were making a back door point that Wegher was an example of a younger guy playing. True, but only as a result of circumstances at RB.

To me there is also a little bit of a gap in importance between a starting RB and starting KR.

It's a sad commentary on this site when an "Administrator" tries to stifle discussion or suggest a poster "let it go" by using incorrect facts and statements to hijack a post. Of course, there's a group of donkeys on here that specializes in it.

Wegher and ARob played in 2009 out of pure necessity. Nothing more. It wasn't Kirk taking a chance, for once choosing talent over experience or thinking outside the box.

Greene left early, Hampton got hurt and ARob and Wegher were the next in line. That's it.

It's a sad commentary on this site when an "Administrator" tries to stifle discussion or suggest a poster "let it go" by using incorrect facts and statements to hijack a post. Of course, there's a group of donkeys on here that specializes in it.

Wegher and ARob played in 2009 out of pure necessity. Nothing more. It wasn't Kirk taking a chance, for once choosing talent over experience or thinking outside the box.

Greene left early, Hampton got hurt and ARob and Wegher were the next in line. That's it.

lol, KF could have went with Brett Morse at tailback, maybe a little Jayme Murphy action. In all seriousness, KF did listen to KOK and some of the vets on the team that BW had something special and it wouldn't hurt to give him a try. Remember how overly cautious BW ran with the football always two hands on it until he got into space.

Wegher was so exciting to watch his freshman year at Iowa. To think what he would have done if he stayed 4 years at Iowa. He was a Tim Dwight type of player. I will never forget the game vs. Arizona and we had the ball inside the 10 yard line. Stanzi handed it off to Wegher, he just leaped into the air, landed on the top of his o-line and just rode on top of them into the endzone. Good memories.:)

lol, KF could have went with Brett Morse at tailback, maybe a little Jayme Murphy action.

You're serious? Not even Kirk is stupid enough to have gone with Morse or Murphy at tailback in 2009. ARob and Wegher were the next guys in line AND with talent who had to play out of necessity when Greene left early and Hampton got hurt.

I do remember Wegher running with two hands on the ball early in the season but that was still about 12x better than having Morse or Murphy at TB. Even Kirk could see that.

You're serious? Not even Kirk is stupid enough to have gone with Morse or Murphy at tailback in 2009. ARob and Wegher were the next guys in line AND with talent who had to play out of necessity when Greene left early and Hampton got hurt.

I do remember Wegher running with two hands on the ball early in the season but that was still about 12x better than having Morse or Murphy at TB. Even Kirk could see that.

Dude, I know you got this whole troll thing going, but it was obvious I was kidding. C' mon, bruh do i really need emoticons to show that?

This is going to be fun to watch. I think he's one of those special talents that Carolina found in the ruff. I think he sticks there. If he doesn't, he's sure to get picked up by another team that's needing depth. It's almost looking like he could be the next cool story in the NFL, he could be an elite back for all we know.

He's a special talent & I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on him. Fun to watch.

This is going to be fun to watch. I think he's one of those special talents that Carolina found in the ruff. I think he sticks there. If he doesn't, he's sure to get picked up by another team that's needing depth. It's almost looking like he could be the next cool story in the NFL, he could be an elite back for all we know.

He's a special talent & I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on him. Fun to watch.

Watching the highlights, look at his teammates, look at Rivieria and Newton and how they react when he scores especially that 2nd touchdown. They seem to really like the guy, they seem to know they have something there.

I like a good redemption story......Still can't help and wonder what if. What if he had his **** in order at Iowa.

Watching the highlights, look at his teammates, look at Rivieria and Newton and how they react when he scores especially that 2nd touchdown. They seem to really like the guy, they seem to know they have something there.

I like a good redemption story......Still can't help and wonder what if. What if he had his **** in order at Iowa.

Yes, I saw those reactions as well. The fans too. The guy is an anomaly being game ready with an NFL body coming out of college, let alone a small college. The guy looks game ready. Right now I think Carolina is thinking we took a chance, and now it's paying off. I am now going to go to the Panthers's forum and see what fans are saying.

right. but he was good enough to start as a true freshman at RB and as kickoff returner - in the Orange bowl no less. Yeah, KF keeps the best players on the bench and favors older players in the program.

sometimes, you just gotta let it go.....
You forget to mention that before the beginning of the following season (at KF's urging, no doubt), Wegher was asked to play a receiver or, at least, a 3rd down back (I don't think KF tolerated a 3rd down back in his offense back then).

No, I wouldn't 'give the keys' of my offense to KF. Not now, not...never.

Last edited:

Latest posts