Wegher Back on Friday??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this moron got this one right?..I think we have him set out the 2nd game !

Agreed, the guy has been prognosticating around here for 12 years and is rarely correct. Maybe it's time the old blowhard of the Midwest gets one right??Lets just hope his source isn't his new dentist? If i recall correctly he was wrong with that take a few years back. 62andeven adios everybody.

On the sitting part I don't agree. I'm good with him playing when he earns his spot back.

Last edited:
I am not speculating. I have not speculated during this whole process. I do not have any information, nor do I know of anyone who has any particular information.

That being said, I think it is reasonable to ask one question of which I do not know the answer. This is not particular to BW. It could be any player.

If a player does not complete classes in the first semester, can he actually remain eligible? I know the NCAA has progress toward degree rules. So, if he doesn't actually enroll and take classes in fall, would he have to take a year away and requalify as an active student?

I really don't know at all. Does someone here know?

I know Mike Williams took summer classes after the Clarett ruling was reversed. It didn't sway the NCAA (he got hosed on that), but I think that qualified as showing progress toward a degree. So if he were to come back spring semester, take classes, then enroll in summer classes, he should be eligible for next season, if I interpret the rules correctly.

Same thing, he may not officially be suspended but he shouldn't be able to take the field. He did do something wrong, he missed camp. While the rest of the team was working their butts off he wasn't. I'm sorry but there has to be repercussions for missing what would be 2 weeks of practice no matter what those reasons are.

again, Just my opinion.

He did nothing wrong. He should sit a game or two, but not because he did something wrong. He's just a couple weeks behind. There may be no difference in practicality, but there is a HUGE difference in principle.

Good reference. I remember it to have happened that way as well. Speaking of Williams, looks like he is impressing in Seattle. Might be another Detroit mistake. Free Amari!

Good reference. I remember it to have happened that way as well. Speaking of Williams, looks like he is impressing in Seattle. Might be another Detroit mistake. Free Amari!

I'm willing the give the Lions a pass on Williams. He has admitted that he had a strong sense of entitlement, and had ZERO work ethic when he was in Detroit. From the way he sounded, it was getting cut by a couple teams that finally got him to trim his waistline (he was reportedly up to 270 at one point with Tennessee, IIRC). He now looks a lot like the guy that was playing for USC in 2003, down to about 230, better speed, great hands.

But the coaches up there need to realize the talent that they have in Spievey. Let him heal and show you what he can do before you start saying he can't hack it.

We know he was in camp for the first two days, so he's been absent for 11 days. If he returned tomorrow, he'd be in camp for 2 full weeks of practice before the opener. Injured guys have gotten by on less time in camp than that. He will rightfully be put behind the other backs in terms of reps, but if he demonstrates he's game ready to the coaches, he'll play. From all indications, he was with the team for summer workouts every day. He ought to be in plenty good shape, just a matter of getting up to game speed. If he returns to camp (and I have my doubts that he will), he'll play, IMO.

Good point...not to mention the fact that just because he missed a few weeks of camp doesn't mean he was starting from nothing. He was present for all of spring ball & the boys are very busy with off-season training that is not overseen directly by KF, per NCAA rules. That's the time Doyle get's ahold of these boys and turns them into men!

So you are the one?

I don't think he comes back.

Nice...I hear the boot!

the fact that marty said it automatically means the opposite is going to happen. guys an idiot and there is plenty out there that supports that statement.

This is NOT me stirring the pot or throwing out speculation... Wegher's not gonna be back any time soon. this is on good authority from a member of the team. he's staying home for personal reasons. just passing on what I heard directly from someone close to him

I completely agree. We had a running joke about this last year.

Jon, about time to bring the ban hammer back out for some of these people. This speculation is getting old.

I hope this moron got this one right?..I think we have him set out the 2nd game !

Agreed, the guy has been prognosticating around here for 12 years and is rarely correct. Maybe it's time the old blowhard of the Midwest gets one right??Lets just hope his source isn't his new dentist? If i recall correctly he was wrong with that take a few years back. 62andeven adios everybody.

On the sitting part I don't agree. I'm good with him playing when he earns his spot back.

Sorry, but i took alot of **** for this post. Thank you Marty...

Sorry, but i took alot of **** for this post. Thank you Marty...

Do you have definitive word that BW is back at practice or on the team? The only tweets and posts I have seen says he is back in Iowa City. Far from automatic that he's back in the program ... although I hope he is.

Do you have definitive word that BW is back at practice or on the team? The only tweets and posts I have seen says he is back in Iowa City. Far from automatic that he's back in the program ... although I hope he is.

Do you have a definitive post that says he will be back at practice? I never said practice, neither did Marty.

Do you have a definitive post that says he will be back at practice? I never said practice, neither did Marty.

Do you honestly think Marty was simply saying BW would be back in Iowa City on Friday?

Most fans could not care less whether he's in IC or SC at any given moment. They want to know whether he's back practicing and on the team.

YMMV.

To much talk for a guy that's not in camp.Move on,it's not like he's a Heisman candidate the team will be fine without him.

We know he was in camp for the first two days, so he's been absent for 11 days. If he returned tomorrow, he'd be in camp for 2 full weeks of practice before the opener. Injured guys have gotten by on less time in camp than that. He will rightfully be put behind the other backs in terms of reps, but if he demonstrates he's game ready to the coaches, he'll play. From all indications, he was with the team for summer workouts every day. He ought to be in plenty good shape, just a matter of getting up to game speed. If he returns to camp (and I have my doubts that he will), he'll play, IMO.

There is a difference between being hurt and being absent. The hurt players are in meetings, observing practice, and listening to the coaches during drills. I just don't see Kirk letting someone be away for almost 2 weeks of key pre-season practice time then waltz back on the team and not make him sit at least one game. It is a matter of morale with the other players that were there sweating in 90+ degree heat during two-a-days it could divide the team and I don't see Kirk taking the chance of damaging team unity for one player against Eastern Illinois.

Kirk himself said 6 days ago that he would be surprised if Brandon didn't return, or something along those lines. Which means everyone expects that. The only story remaining on this is if he chooses not to return. What we have here is akin to the game run on Doyle Lonnigan in the movie 'The Sting' or the set up to convince him to place his huge wager. I think they called it past posting

There is a difference between being hurt and being absent. The hurt players are in meetings, observing practice, and listening to the coaches during drills. I just don't see Kirk letting someone be away for almost 2 weeks of key pre-season practice time then waltz back on the team and not make him sit at least one game. It is a matter of morale with the other players that were there sweating in 90+ degree heat during two-a-days it could divide the team and I don't see Kirk taking the chance of damaging team unity for one player against Eastern Illinois.

Again, this would mean something if there were some eligible players at the position. You put Wegher at the back of the RB line. That means ARob starts, you give Paki a few obligatory runs and then you get Wegher in. If it was a position where there was depth it would be different. But the end of the RB line comes quick.

Doing anything else would make this a suspension. You don't suspend a player for dealing with a family health issue. You tell the player he lost his place in line. For Wegher, that is one spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts