Wednesday Presser Predictions

I think it's a bit of a mob mentality thing, but today, someone I know well who knows big money donors better told me he heard from two of three of them and the convo was about Kirk retiring on Wednesday....I don't believe it, as why would you release a two deep and then say you are having a presser, then retire at that presser...it didn't make sense to me. Then I heard from another person I know not to be crazy, who has heard the same.

I want to be clear; I am not buying it...otherwise I'd start a thread or write a story. But it was pretty coincidental today.

3049898_orig.jpg

I think it's a bit of a mob mentality thing, but today, someone I know well who knows big money donors better told me he heard from two of three of them and the convo was about Kirk retiring on Wednesday....I don't believe it, as why would you release a two deep and then say you are having a presser, then retire at that presser...it didn't make sense to me. Then I heard from another person I know not to be crazy, who has heard the same.

I want to be clear; I am not buying it...otherwise I'd start a thread or write a story. But it was pretty coincidental today.

It would not surprise me in the least. The past few seasons can't have been very fun for Kirk or his family with the mounting criticism after some of the defeats and poor play. The losses to Iowa State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Tennessee this year were especially painful for all involved, and the criticisms this year have been widespread and brutal. Kirk knows what's going on, what's being said. Very possible that Mary asked him whether it was all worth it, or whether now was the time to move on.

The "two-deep" may have been Kirk's way of letting the players know where they stood with him in the hopes that they all don't bolt and give a new coach a chance.

Thats all speculation. I know nothing factual. But the more I think about it, the idea of a retirement with a nice black and gold parachute has some legs.

The only way he retires is if this was a decision that was made in the last 4 days. You don't put out the depth chart and statement that was released last Thursday unless you are 100% committed to returning for next season.

Maybe Ferentz is going to announce his retirement, with 2015 being his last season.

I have no inside info, just a season ticket holder who reads all the boards and blogs and listens to podcasts (including yours).

Something may very well be up given the whole twitter issue and the weird two deep announcement. Need something for us folks to hold onto while we fork out our hard earned cash for tickets, parking and all the expenses that go with it.

No way do you have an openly acknowledged lame duck season without a named successor. That would be a lost recruiting class, like NCAA sanctions

If KF retires look for Sally Mason to show how serious she is about the athletic department by appointing a search committee comprised only of key faculty members in the Rhetoric Department.

No way do you have an openly acknowledged lame duck season without a named successor. That would be a lost recruiting class, like NCAA sanctions

Would you expect anything less from GarBar and Sally?

It's been done before by far more competent leaders. Mark my words...we will end up with a Tom Davis situation.

Last edited:
I think worse case is Greg Davis leaves and we have a new OC for 2015. It potentially gives KF cover for dismal 2015 season as the team is adjusting to a "new" system.

Ok....breathe deeply Playmaker...relax. Now, my fears are the cluster that will be all of the duds allowed to retain positions if KF leaves....people DO NOT get fired at the U of I. As I said last week, I really think the next hire for HC will be some milquetoast that is "Strongly" encouraged to take a "Hard" look at the current assistants. If KF is leaving, I really can't see him doing so without looking out for everyone. If Barta allows this to happen, there will be no real improvement in the program WHATSOEVER!!!

Last edited:
My expectation is that he'll announce a couple coaches leaving and pursuing other options, as well as players.

Nothing major, just normal.

Now, that's my *realistic* and sanity speaking.

My insanity is that he's announcing his retirement, and perhaps Gary Barta announces they've found a successor already. That's my "hopeful" side of it.

But, I expect your basic dialog.

By the way, what time is the Press Conference?

If KF retires look for Sally Mason to show how serious she is about the athletic department by appointing a search committee comprised only of key faculty members in the Rhetoric Department.

If they're anything like the guy that I had, everything that is done by them will have to relate to 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Ok....breathe deeply Playmaker...relax. Now, my fears are the cluster that will be all of the duds allowed to retain positions if KF leaves....people DO NOT get fired at the U of I. As I said last week, I really think the next hire for HC will be some milk toast that is "Strongly" encouraged to take a "Hard" look at the current assistants. If KF is leaving, I really can't see him doing so without looking out for everyone. If Barta allows this to happen, there will be no real improvement in the program WHATSOEVER!!!

The word is "milquetoast."

As for the rest of your post, try to relax. There will be no head-coaching change this off-season.

Latest posts