Weather Saturday

DentalHawk

Odds are increasing for rain in the Chicago area Saturday due to the hurricane. Are they using field turf at Soldier, something tells me they are still on grass!!

ToothGuy

Odds are increasing for rain in the Chicago area Saturday due to the hurricane. Are they using field turf at Soldier, something tells me they are still on grass!!

ToothGuy

It's grass however Soldier Field is notorious for getting tore up fairly easily in bad weather. If it gets really soggy things can get bad in a hurry.

It's ostensibly "grass", but it is known throughout the NFL as being the worst playing surface in the league.
It's awful. And under heavy rain, it will be a nightmare.

It's ostensibly "grass", but it is known throughout the NFL as being the worst playing surface in the league.
It's awful. And under heavy rain, it will be a nightmare.

That's terrible. The stadium was just renovated a few years ago. The field is still that bad? Good work mmmmBearsssss...

Sucks about the rain, but I'll bring my pancho!

Once it makes landfall, it's going to quickly fade back into a tropical storm then tropical depression.
The national weather service out of Chicago is calling for a high of 82 on Saturday with no rain.

Obviously, I wouldn't put money on anything a meteorologist says. By Thursday night, we should have an idea if it's going to rain or not!

That's terrible. The stadium was just renovated a few years ago. The field is still that bad? Good work mmmmBearsssss...

If you google "soldier field playing surface", you'll get tons of hits and none of them positive. Heck, even bearzzz players (Urlacher) are flaming the field.

Yeah, it's not really the Bears fault. The City of Chicago actually owns the stadium, and for some reason they refuse to put in artificial turf. The Bears have even requested it on multiple occassions.
The field is usually decent though through Sept then takes a terrible turn in October and November.

Forecast in Chicago only calls for a chance of scattered showers,with 10 mph winds,and a high of 89.
As for the turf,there has only been a couple of Bear exhibition games on the new turf,so it should be very good next saturday. Later in the year? Probably not.

It's ostensibly "grass", but it is known throughout the NFL as being the worst playing surface in the league.It's awful. And under heavy rain, it will be a nightmare.

Thank you Chicago parks department.

That aside anybody that really thinks you can trust a weather report 5 days out is crazy.

I am traveling with over 20 friends and family and don't want to think about it either. But I will go buy rain ponchos tonight, I sat through the game in Kinnick last year, got soaked, ruined the game quality, and blew up a cell phone!!

ToothGuy

Looks like I should call family back in StL before I hit the pillow Friday night, but that trajectory makes it look like it won't hit St. Louis until around 1 p.m. on Saturday and coming in at around 25 m.p.h., so hopefully that means no rain in Chicago until later in the evening.

Latest posts