We had a budding NBA star on the roster last year and couldn’t win a tourney game

Let's be honest here. 95% of your posts are bagging on Kirk Ferentz for not winning a conference title.

po-TAY-to/po-TAH-to

Honest question for you Fry. After 18 years you don’t feel like he is due?

I know we all would like to see it. Is it unrealistic to expect it given his pay grade? I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all. Expecting it every other year, that would be unrealistic.

I think being fair once every seven to ten years would be reasonable given where he falls among coaches on the pay scale. None in 23 consecutive years? Seriously?

It would be comical if it weren’t so sad especially from the offensive side of the ball. “Hey coach how’s it feel to be a top ten paid coach in all of college football and have an offense that’s ranked 122nd out of 131 teams?

We shouldn’t expect better than that? Are Iowa fans getting their drinking water out of Flint Michigan?

I know we all would like to see it. Is it unrealistic to expect it given his pay grade? I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all. Expecting it every other year, that would be unrealistic.

I think being fair once every seven to ten years would be reasonable given where he falls among coaches on the pay scale. None in 23 consecutive years? Seriously?

It would be comical if it weren’t so sad especially from the offensive side of the ball. “Hey coach how’s it feel to be a top ten paid coach in all of college football and have an offense that’s ranked 122nd out of 131 teams?

We shouldn’t expect better than that? Are Iowa fans getting their drinking water out of Flint Michigan?
I feel like he's more than due, but you have to look at metrics a little different in today's landscape.

1. he hasn't been in the top 10 paid coaches list in close to a decade. The Northwestern coach makes more than him. I doubt he's going to be asked the question you suggested based on that very known and easily found information.

2. In those 18 years, the conference has been dominated by one program. That program has won the B1G 10 times in those 18 years. If we're being honest here, we know where TOSU recruits at and where a program like Iowa recruits at. It would and still will take a miracle for Iowa to ever win another B1G championship and it wouldn't matter if Belichick or Vince Lombardi was our coach. Iowa is always going to struggle to consistently compete with TOSU for championships but ya know what? So is everyone else

3. Iowa has had a tremendous run historically for our program despite not having a conference championship in those 18 years that include a Rose Bowl and an Orange Bowl. It also includes an undefeated regular season. Never done at Iowa probably wont be done again.

It's just another metric to measure but not one I can only base his performance on. Do I want to win one? Hell yeah, does it ultimately matter? There can only be 1 champion and every single conference in the country is dominated by the top dogs in their food chains, Iowa does very well, knows who they are and wins a lot of football games. I like to win a lot of football games. I don't feel like it's a gimme and I am not going to wish away the coach that's done it more than any others before him.

For christsakes man, you just don't fuckin get it. Ever.

It's not about the money he's paid. It's about where Iowa is as a program. There are a whole lot of schools that would pay more money for Kirk Ferentz. You want to throw the guy to the curb and be the next nebraska. I honestly believe that. You're just that goddamned dense and short-sighted, I know know how else to say it.

There is no way whatsoever to predict a coach's performance with any sort of confidence at all. Coaching success is almost all luck of everything falling into place at once, and when it does, it's self-perpetuating. Nick Saban wasn't all that before Alabama. Alabama rolled the dice and won the lottery. Same thing with Duke and Kryzesceszskywzy. They hadn't done shit.

nebraska got sick of Solich being good (weird, I know) and hired a complete fizzle. Then, as if the football gods were giving them another chance, they hired Pelini who never went below 9 wins. Fired him because of administration and donors who think the way you do and then they proceeded to hire the two worst football coaches in program history in a row with zero light at the end of the tunnel. And that was nebraska. A nebraska team with (at the time) an unbelievably bigger hiring advantage than a school like Iowa.

IT'S A FUCKING 100,000 TO 1 DICE ROLL.

For every good coach there are thousands of duds, and you want to roll those dice because "Well you can't get anywhere if you don't try..."

BULLSHIT.

That's not how it works, Francis. You're essentially buying lottery tickets thinking that at some point if you buy enough that you have to win. It. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

We've had over 4 decades of stability and a program that most schools would kill for. That's worth something. We are more often than not in the top 25 of polls and mathematical ranking systems at the end of the year. That's worth something. I could go on and on.

The "pay grade" is market value. You want the donors and BOR to go to KF and say, we're docking your pay by $3million because you haven't won the B1G? He'd walk. And then you're left sucking your thumb looking for the next Scott Frost or Mike Riley or Gene Chizek or god knows who. Do you not realize how dumb that would be?

Let's not leave out that KF owns our three biggest rivals. Owns them. Like three broken retrievers bereft of life or spirit.

Look, set aside championships for a moment. Only 1 team ends the season truly happy. Even in seasons Iowa finished in the Top 10, people on boards like this spent too much time playing "if only" game. Even winning a conference title is damn hard given the top of this conference.

But, short of being one of those 4-5 programs that hoist a conference title and get to the playoffs, isn't sports generally about feeling good? What feels better than heckling your fat brother who is a Clown fan because they lost once again. Or teasing your mouth breathing Nebraska neighbor because they are irrelevant and you are running out of fingers to count the streak of victories. Or watching a certain dumb ass row his boat back to Minneapolis with another loss. KF wins. He doesn't win them all, but he wins a lot of the important ones. Enjoy the ride people. 85% of fan bases would kill to be us.

Let's not leave out that KF owns our three biggest rivals. Owns them. Like three broken retrievers bereft of life or spirit.
Who do you consider our 3 biggest rivals? I would say ISU, Minny, and Wisco, so he owns 2 of 3. Please don't tell me you're replacing Wisco with Debbie. :)

Who do you consider our 3 biggest rivals? I would say ISU, Minny, and Wisco, so he owns 2 of 3. Please don't tell me you're replacing Wisco with Debbie. :)

Nebraska has to matter. As annoying as their fan base is, they have to be in the top 3 pecking order.

Nebraska has to matter. As annoying as their fan base is, they have to be in the top 3 pecking order.
Nebraska is not a top rival. Ive talked to my buddies about this and they are not even top 5. Its ISU, wISCONSIN, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue. If you wanna put Nebby 6th go ahead but to Iowa Nebby is not top 5. But Iowa to Nebby is there biggest rival easily. Now i Will say something i live in far eastern iowa like 15 minutes from the Mississippi River I know very few nebraska fans so im sure in western iowa it is alot bigger rivalry cuz you are closer to nebraska fans

Nebraska is not a top rival. Ive talked to my buddies about this and they are not even top 5. Its ISU, wISCONSIN, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue. If you wanna put Nebby 6th go ahead but to Iowa Nebby is not top 5. But Iowa to Nebby is there biggest rival easily. Now i Will say something i live in far eastern iowa like 15 minutes from the Mississippi River I know very few nebraska fans so im sure in western iowa it is alot bigger rivalry cuz you are closer to nebraska fans
They are in the top 5. If you want to debate where they fit in within that top 5...knock yourself out.

Huh???? I don’t set goals for the team. That’s for AD’s and coaches to do.

On another point some fans set the bar so low that the coaches and AD’s never fail to meet their expectations.

Case in point; what University is going to pay a coach a top ten salary collectively over their 23 year reign and yet that coach hasn’t won a conference title over the last eighteen years??

There are 131 college football programs in the FBS. It would be simply outrageous and unrealistic to expect a top ten paid coach out of 131 college programs to win a conference title at least once in the last eighteen years. To expect such is just unreasonable.
I made a post talking about fans always setting the bar a little higher than the bar the coach has already reached. Then you said that's the way it should be. Then I said depends on your motives for setting the goals. Then you respond with this? You completely changed what was being discussed, which was fans constantly moving the bar higher so they could still dog on the coach.

Really good teams in the SEC have to settle for not winning championships because of the dynasty Alabama has going. It would be ridiculous for the schools in the SEC who are doing really well to clean house because they can't beat Bama. That's Iowa but on a smaller scale. We are doing really well overall (especially lately) but we aren't winning championships because Wisconsin has been on a historic run. Also the landscape of the conference has changed with a championship game and more teams. Under the old format Kirk would have a championship 6 years ago.

For christsakes man, you just don't fuckin get it. Ever.

It's not about the money he's paid. It's about where Iowa is as a program. There are a whole lot of schools that would pay more money for Kirk Ferentz. You want to throw the guy to the curb and be the next nebraska. I honestly believe that. You're just that goddamned dense and short-sighted, I know know how else to say it.

There is no way whatsoever to predict a coach's performance with any sort of confidence at all. Coaching success is almost all luck of everything falling into place at once, and when it does, it's self-perpetuating. Nick Saban wasn't all that before Alabama. Alabama rolled the dice and won the lottery. Same thing with Duke and Kryzesceszskywzy. They hadn't done shit.

nebraska got sick of Solich being good (weird, I know) and hired a complete fizzle. Then, as if the football gods were giving them another chance, they hired Pelini who never went below 9 wins. Fired him because of administration and donors who think the way you do and then they proceeded to hire the two worst football coaches in program history in a row with zero light at the end of the tunnel. And that was nebraska. A nebraska team with (at the time) an unbelievably bigger hiring advantage than a school like Iowa.

IT'S A FUCKING 100,000 TO 1 DICE ROLL.

For every good coach there are thousands of duds, and you want to roll those dice because "Well you can't get anywhere if you don't try..."

BULLSHIT.

That's not how it works, Francis. You're essentially buying lottery tickets thinking that at some point if you buy enough that you have to win. It. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

We've had over 4 decades of stability and a program that most schools would kill for. That's worth something. We are more often than not in the top 25 of polls and mathematical ranking systems at the end of the year. That's worth something. I could go on and on.

The "pay grade" is market value. You want the donors and BOR to go to KF and say, we're docking your pay by $3million because you haven't won the B1G? He'd walk. And then you're left sucking your thumb looking for the next Scott Frost or Mike Riley or Gene Chizek or god knows who. Do you not realize how dumb that would be?

So your answer to the question is “no” Iowa is not due and in your mind never will be. We’re not talking about a National Championship. I am talking about a Big Ten Championship. One more after18 years.

Apparently ranking 122nd in offense out 131 schools is ok with you also. That is simply indefensible. As a few have said on here, just finishing in the top sixty would be significant.

I have said many times the defense is doing great, it’s the damn offense that is failing this program. Tell me since Brian took over what steps has this program taken to show it recognizes the problem and are trying to improve it? Your nine spots away from having the worst ranked offense in college football. That’s mainly what I was focusing on.

I don’t even care if you leave Brian on as an assistant coach on the line or working with the tight ends. The offense needs a major upgrade on philosophy. 122nd in offense last year, and 18 years since having a conference title, and you guys are happier than a pig in mud.

This would be a great year to end that streak. Of course I hope that every year. Until the offense gets it’s shit together nothing is going to change.

So your answer to the question is “no” Iowa is not due and in your mind never will be. We’re not talking about a National Championship. I am talking about a Big Ten Championship. One more after18 years.

Apparently ranking 122nd in offense out 131 schools is ok with you also. That is simply indefensible. As a few have said on here, just finishing in the top sixty would be significant.

I have said many times the defense is doing great, it’s the damn offense that is failing this program. Tell me since Brian took over what steps has this program taken to show it recognizes the problem and are trying to improve it? Your nine spots away from having the worst ranked offense in college football. That’s mainly what I was focusing on.

I don’t even care if you leave Brian on as an assistant coach on the line or working with the tight ends. The offense needs a major upgrade on philosophy. 122nd in offense last year, and 18 years since having a conference title, and you guys are happier than a pig in mud.

This would be a great year to end that streak. Of course I hope that every year. Until the offense gets it’s shit together nothing is going to change.
Lol, as long as Ohio State is in the Big Ten it ain’t happening. Sorry, I’m happy for you if you have delusions about that. Must be nice.

And you still never addressed my point about coaches being a total guess that almost ALWAYS leads to floundering. You’d rather throw out a good coach hoping for a great one even with the odds being tens of thousands to one. A La nebraska. That’s the definition of stupidity.

Then you’d be back here crying again and again and again about how you want a new coach, and then a new coach, and then a new coach. You just don’t understand the way it works.

If you’re a Kansas or Rutgers or Vanderbilt you can roll those dice all at long because you have nothing to lose.

But in Iowa’s case the odds are thousands of times more in favor of hiring someone who’s going to make it worse than they are of hiring someone who’s going to win the conference. You’re an idiot if you can’t see that.

Fans and donors like you are the reason nebraska is where it is today. Go F up someone else’s program; leave this one alone.

Lol, as long as Ohio State is in the Big Ten it ain’t happening. Sorry, I’m happy for you if you have delusions about that. Must be nice.

And you still never addressed my point about coaches being a total guess that almost ALWAYS leads to floundering. You’d rather throw out a good coach hoping for a great one even with the odds being tens of thousands to one. A La nebraska. That’s the definition of stupidity.

Then you’d be back here crying again and again and again about how you want a new coach, and then a new coach, and then a new coach. You just don’t understand the way it works.

If you’re a Kansas or Rutgers or Vanderbilt you can roll those dice all at long because you have nothing to lose.

But in Iowa’s case the odds are thousands of times more in favor of hiring someone who’s going to make it worse than they are of hiring someone who’s going to win the conference. You’re an idiot if you can’t see that.

Fans and donors like you are the reason nebraska is where it is today. Go F up someone else’s program; leave this one alone.
Ohio State has won the big ten 10 of the last 18 years that means another team won 8 times thats almost half so yeah you can win the big ten even with OSU in it. So that comment was pretty lame.

Ohio State has won the big ten 10 of the last 18 years that means another team won 8 times thats almost half so yeah you can win the big ten even with OSU in it. So that comment was pretty lame.
Add punctuation to make that post somewhat readable and I'll get back to you.

Better be careful there. He will start throwing insults at you too. The rednecks always go that route.

As one poster stated very recently he has no business moderating on this board. A real moderated would have banned him already.

It’s one thing to express your view on the football program it’s another to throw personal insults at anyone that you disagree with.

Every fan should want their program to do better and has the right to believe that they can. Fry is saying we aren’t good enough and won’t be good enough to win a conference title.

What kind of fan is that? That’s a loser mindset. What kind of person has a loser mindset? Could it be a LOSER?

For the posters that don't think Nebraska is a rival, you are delusional. I will entertain the debate of whether Wisky or Nebbie is bigger rival. I will note that the conference did not think the Wisky rivalry was so sacrosanct as it did not schedule it for a few years. Take that for what it is worth.

Nebbie is a rival. The fans hate each other. We fill each other's stadiums with a healthy contingent for road games. The game is played on Black Friday every year. The game has a special setting! We share a huge border with Nebbie and there are lots of fans living in the other team's state. There is a trophy at stake. There have been infamous quotes and snipes over the years by players and coaches. It is a newer rivalry, but it has quickly taken hold.

You don't have any of that juice with NW or Purdue or Illinois.

I live in Nebraska, so its near the top for me. I hate these arrogant Bugeater fans. Everyone can rank them differently, but to say Nebbie is not a rival ignores reality.

Also, we own Nebbie. Like a shitty pair of shoes we can't throw out.

Every fan should want their program to do better and has the right to believe that they can. Fry is saying we aren’t good enough and won’t be good enough to win a conference title.
We aren't good enough because OSU and Michigan have such a monumental recruiting advantage that it makes it for all intents and purposes impossible.

Must be a regional thing. I grew up in NW Iowa and Nebraska is enemy #1 more so than MN over there. I don't think it's changed much. It's more then Wisky hate or IL hate. Hell folks have been indifferent to IL for a long time now. They are more of a hoops rival.

Better be careful there. He will start throwing insults at you too. The rednecks always go that route.

As one poster stated very recently he has no business moderating on this board. A real moderated would have banned him already.

It’s one thing to express your view on the football program it’s another to throw personal insults at anyone that you disagree with.

What kind of fan is that? That’s a loser mindset. What kind of person has a loser mindset? Could it be a LOSER?
In my opinion it's only a loser mindset if you think that way for things you can control. But then again, I can control whether or not I can play in the NBA and my mindset says it's impossible. Most would say I'm realistic. Others would call me a loser I guess.

Must be a regional thing. I grew up in NW Iowa and Nebraska is enemy #1 more so than MN over there. I don't think it's changed much. It's more then Wisky hate or IL hate. Hell folks have been indifferent to IL for a long time now. They are more of a hoops rival.
Correct. The hate over here for nebraska is beyond palpable. As @InGoodCo can attest, their fans are a special kind of gentic defectives.