"We don't need to hire a superstar coach"

See? This is why I didn't want to have to explain it to you.

But apparently that ISU education isn't working for you.

Elite = the top, the best, highest level.

UI education. I teach at ISU.

Elite is also completely a subjective standard of reference and I do not subscribe to yours. Just because the NFL consumes more money does not make it intrinsically better, not by a long shot. Players on average might be better than the average college player, but even that is comparing apples to neutron stars since they are evaluated differently. Coaches better? Doubt it.

If half the people on here could understand meaning and context then the freak out threads would be cut in half maybe more. It was clear from what he was saying is that they don't have to go out and hire the "superstar" coach just because he is considered a "superstar" coach. I totally agree with this statement. Just because someone is seen as the hot new coach does not mean that he would be a good fit with the current coaching staff, coaching philosophies or the University of Iowa. You don't hire a coach just because of his name. People who don't understand that are idiots, plain and simple.

winning

See? This is why I didn't want to have to explain it to you.

But apparently that ISU education isn't working for you.

Elite = the top, the best, highest level.

UI education. I teach at ISU.

Elite is also completely a subjective standard of reference and I do not subscribe to yours. Just because the NFL consumes more money does not make it intrinsically better, not by a long shot. Players on average might be better than the average college player, but even that is comparing apples to neutron stars since they are evaluated differently. Coaches better? Doubt it.

Players in the NFL MIGHT be better than the average college player? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that NFL players are better than college players and I don't care how you evaluate them.

You are not very bright.

Ok, still waiting on the names of those superstar coordinators of the Top 10 teams. No one? Weird, I mean those schools MUST have superstar coaches to be in the Top 10.

I'll even give you the teams:

Alabama
LSU
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Arkansas
USC
Stanford
Boise State
South Carolina
Wisconsin

Go ahead. Without cheating.

Does Paul Chryst count? Now that he went where coaches die, pitt?

Kragthorpe was supposed to be at LSU

And, I'm spent.

Rubbish. NFL ball is not for everyone, and lots of folks appreciate college football much more.

You seem to inhabit that intellectually small space where humans imagine that things should be evaluated by money. There are few things more wasteful or meaningless than professional sports, except, perhaps, "fans" who worship in their cult.
Agreed 1000%. Pro sports SUCK. Why anyone would form an emotional connection to a bunch of millionaire mercenaries playing for billionaires is beyond me.

Agreed 1000%. Pro sports SUCK. Why anyone would form an emotional connection to a bunch of millionaire mercenaries playing for billionaires is beyond me.

Because it is so much more rational to form emotional connections to 18 year old males, who are often more or less immature mercenaries playing for millionaire coaches answering to millionaire alumni.

Because it is so much more rational to form emotional connections to 18 year old males, who are often more or less immature mercenaries playing for millionaire coaches answering to millionaire alumni.
Maybe some people would rather support the team of their school or home state; thus supporting the students, school, and state; rather than making some rich guys richer?

Honest question. How many of the people on this board that blindly defend KF and all his decisions are actually donors or season ticket holders?

I don't need to know if you attended the U of I that is irrelevant to the question.

kf is saying you select the best guy for the position not necessarily the biggest name. most of the time a splash hire doesnt work out for iowa. just look at the bball team...alford, lick were both big names at the time. fran wasnt. kf wasnt the splash hire.
Lick was a big name? Are you kidding? When they announced him, I had to google him to see who he was.

he was national coach of the year. if you had to google him it means you didnt know much about college bball coaches. he had multiple conference championships, ncaa tourneys and a couple elite eights i believe. he was the hot name in bball when he was hired.

Maybe some people would rather support the team of their school or home state; thus supporting the students, school, and state; rather than making some rich guys richer?

....and of course for those people there is high school sports a well.

College is to pros, what HS is to college.

personally, following both, there are pros and cons to being a fan of either. But suffice it to say, the pro athletes are far more elite than those from the feeder systems, as are some of the coaches. However, where as there is a big disparency with the players, there is a pretty large crossover in the abilities of the coaches. It just depends in the system they are brought up with or are currently working under.

Many people living in or from Iowa, rightfully are not familiar with the pride of being from a city, or even a state, that is home to a major sports franchise. Not saying you have to be from a set city or state to be a fan, but it is similar to the allegiance you have for the school that you are an alumni of, or live in proximity of. Pride plays a part in why you are a passionate "fan" of any particular team.

Bottom line, coaches can come from anywhere and conform to being a college coach, the skillsets utilized are just different.

he was national coach of the year. if you had to google him it means you didnt know much about college bball coaches. he had multiple conference championships, ncaa tourneys and a couple elite eights i believe. he was the hot name in bball when he was hired.

Let's not get too carried away here. Lickliter was a name of significant interest, but people weren't knocking down his door to pull him out of Butler. Let's not be naive here. He wasn't picking Iowa over 5 or 10 more lucrative NCAA gigs.

Let's also set his resume straight. At the time he had two Sweet 16 berths. 2007 National CoY, was impressive, no doubt. However, he had been HC for 6 seasons and had 2 marginal years sandwiched in the middle with his first recruiting classes.

A lot of people questioned whether or not he could transition into the B10, or other better D1 BB conferences, and those questions were validated. If anything, the media hype was more inflated around him than actual schools beating down his door to bring him in to their fold.

I will gladly admit I know next to nothing about basketball at any level. That said, most of my friends are huge fans. Many of them knew his name but nothing else.

If your a believer in the Belichick family system then Bill "The Don" might have someone he would like Kirk to put in that position. -
Yea thats crazy talk but I wonder if Kirk has consulted with Belichick at least.

Without Googling, name the Offensive Coordinators for the teams that finished in the Top 10.

Go.

Ok, still waiting on the names of those superstar coordinators of the Top 10 teams. No one? Weird, I mean those schools MUST have superstar coaches to be in the Top 10.

I'll even give you the teams:

Alabama
LSU
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Arkansas
USC
Stanford
Boise State
South Carolina
Wisconsin

Go ahead. Without cheating.

No one?

There you go. There's your answer, superstars.

Latest posts