"We don't need to hire a superstar coach"

kf is saying you select the best guy for the position not necessarily the biggest name. most of the time a splash hire doesnt work out for iowa. just look at the bball team...alford, lick were both big names at the time. fran wasnt. kf wasnt the splash hire.

Lick was a big name? Are you kidding? When they announced him, I had to google him to see who he was.

Did someone mention Brady being drafted in the 6th round? Fantastic. Another reason to link to a video that never gets old.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGF4l3hcgBg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGF4l3hcgBg[/ame]

If I was in KF's shoes I would not want to hire a "superstar" coach either. Someone that fans would be clamoring to replace me with.

That's what Kirk just said in response to what he's looking for in hiring an offensive coordinator. Awesome Kirk, why would you want a superstar coach when you can safely promote another guy from within? This guy tries hard to keep people unexcited about the direction of his program.

That and the bizarre statement about coaches leaving for successful, prestigious, elite jobs:

"What we told recruits is we're going to have good coaches. Just look at who's*‑‑ I mentioned the guys that have left here. We've had a lot of guys leave here to go to successful, more, quote‑unquote, elite jobs or prestigious jobs, whatever. We've had pretty good guys here."

He's the one who contrasted "here" (Iowa) with successful, prestigious, elite jobs.

Good job Cap'n Krok.

Without Googling, name the Offensive Coordinators for the teams that finished in the Top 10.

Go.

This.

Name 5 superstar offensive coordinators in college period. Norm Chow, Gus Malzahn (HC now), and...? Just ******* and moaning for the sake of ******* and moaning.

If half the people on here could understand meaning and context then the freak out threads would be cut in half maybe more. It was clear from what he was saying is that they don't have to go out and hire the "superstar" coach just because he is considered a "superstar" coach. I totally agree with this statement. Just because someone is seen as the hot new coach does not mean that he would be a good fit with the current coaching staff, coaching philosophies or the University of Iowa. You don't hire a coach just because of his name. People who don't understand that are idiots, plain and simple.

This.

Name 5 superstar offensive coordinators in college period. Norm Chow, Gus Malzahn (HC now), and...? Just ******* and moaning for the sake of ******* and moaning.

Norm Chow isn't a OC anymore either. And he hasn't been a relevant OC since Matt Leinart graduated.

That and the bizarre statement about coaches leaving for successful, prestigious, elite jobs:

"What we told recruits is we're going to have good coaches. Just look at who's*‑‑ I mentioned the guys that have left here. We've had a lot of guys leave here to go to successful, more, quote‑unquote, elite jobs or prestigious jobs, whatever. We've had pretty good guys here."

He's the one who contrasted "here" (Iowa) with successful, prestigious, elite jobs.

Good job Cap'n Krok.

So... the head coach of the Miami Dolphins isn't a more elite/prestigious job than being an assistant at Iowa? Being a coordinator or assistant in the NFL isn't more elite/prestigious than being a coordinator or assistant at Iowa?

Oh, I see. Silly Kirk. What was he thinking?

Was Ferentz a superstar hire? How bout' Fran? We need a guy who 1. knows thier stuff and B. is a good fit for the program. Besides that it's not like the names that were thrown around for the DC job were superstars either.

Was Ferentz a superstar hire? How bout' Fran? We need a guy who 1. knows thier stuff and B. is a good fit for the program. Besides that it's not like the names that were thrown around for the DC job were superstars either.

Hayden Fry was a superstar though - directional Texas schools are where all the superstars come from.

So... the head coach of the Miami Dolphins isn't a more elite/prestigious job than being an assistant at Iowa? Being a coordinator or assistant in the NFL isn't more elite/prestigious than being a coordinator or assistant at Iowa?

Oh, I see. Silly Kirk. What was he thinking?

Is it? Is simply any job in teh Leeg (NFL) by default "better" than a job at UI?

If so, why? He have any power over that? Some folks like NCAA football much more than the NFL. Are they deluded?

Why isn't Iowa a prestige job? And if he doesn't think it is, GTFO.

Is it? Is simply any job in teh Leeg (NFL) by default "better" than a job at UI?

If so, why? He have any power over that? Some folks like NCAA football much more than the NFL. Are they deluded?

Why isn't Iowa a prestige job? And if he doesn't think it is, GTFO.

If I have to explain to you why an NFL job is more elite than a college football job, then you should just stop paying attention to sports.

If I have to explain to you why an NFL job is more elite than a college football job, then you should just stop paying attention to sports.

Rubbish. NFL ball is not for everyone, and lots of folks appreciate college football much more.

You seem to inhabit that intellectually small space where humans imagine that things should be evaluated by money. There are few things more wasteful or meaningless than professional sports, except, perhaps, "fans" who worship in their cult.

Rubbish. NFL ball is not for everyone, and lots of folks appreciate college football much more.

You seem to inhabit that intellectually small space where humans imagine that things should be evaluated by money. There are few things more wasteful or meaningless than professional sports, except, perhaps, "fans" who worship in their cult.

LOL WUT??

Rubbish. NFL ball is not for everyone, and lots of folks appreciate college football much more. You seem to inhabit that intellectually small space where humans imagine that things should be evaluated by money. There are few things more wasteful or meaningless than professional sports, except, perhaps, "fans=" who worship in their cult.
LOL WUT??

Chad is that you????

See? This is why I didn't want to have to explain it to you.

But apparently that ISU education isn't working for you.

Elite = the top, the best, highest level.

The NFL is the highest level of football.
The NBA is the highest level of basketball.
MLB is the highest level of baseball.

Not. That. Tough.

I like the college game better in both basketball and football, much more enjoyable. However, "liking" a level of play doesn't make it more elite. The highest level of football is the NFL (exempli gratia - an NFL job is more elite than a college football job).

Latest posts