We can win the "Leaders" next year.

GodGodGodBathia

Michigan is getting better, but they're beatable.
Minnesota is still going to be Minnesota.
Northwestern, as always, will be tough, but beatable.
Michigan State loses Cousins. Next.

Then there's Nebraska. They'll probably be the favorite to play in Indianapolis, and we play them in Lincoln, but crazier things have happened. If we can win that game, I think we take the division and play Ohio State at Lucas Oil Stadium for a Rose Bowl bid.

Yes, we lose so many players that are central to the philosophy of Iowa football that makes it so consistent and good, but part of that philosophy rests on new guys rising to the task and shocking the world when nothing is expected of them.

And for Vandenberg, from what he showed last year in crunch time, we're going to have a better quarterback than Stanzi; not a discredit to Stanzi and all the great things he's done throughout his career, but Vandenberg can ball.

Hey, look who it is!! Where the hades have you been GGGB???

Michigan is getting better, but they're beatable.
Minnesota is still going to be Minnesota.
Northwestern, as always, will be tough, but beatable.
Michigan State loses Cousins. Next.

Then there's Nebraska. They'll probably be the favorite to play in Indianapolis, and we play them in Lincoln, but crazier things have happened. If we can win that game, I think we take the division and play Ohio State at Lucas Oil Stadium for a Rose Bowl bid.

Yes, we lose so many players that are central to the philosophy of Iowa football that makes it so consistent and good, but part of that philosophy rests on new guys rising to the task and shocking the world when nothing is expected of them.

And for Vandenberg, from what he showed last year in crunch time, we're going to have a better quarterback than Stanzi; not a discredit to Stanzi and all the great things he's done throughout his career, but Vandenberg can ball.

Vandenberg has yet to prove anything just yet. He's certainly got the physical tools. But he did not have much success in crunch time. Ohio State sat back in zone ALL day long, because they didn't respect him. But once it got late in the game, and they realized that they might actually lose, they dialed it up on defense and blitzed, and Vandy struggled. Northwestern and Minnesota brought the heat from start to finish, which is why he struggled against them.

I definitely think he's capable of mastering the recognition aspect. But he's not proven that he already has. So I'm not making any kind of prediction like winning the division, which has to assume that he's mastered that part of the game without any significant playing time since last November.

Vandenberg has yet to prove anything just yet. He's certainly got the physical tools. But he did not have much success in crunch time. Ohio State sat back in zone ALL day long, because they didn't respect him. But once it got late in the game, and they realized that they might actually lose, they dialed it up on defense and blitzed, and Vandy struggled. Northwestern and Minnesota brought the heat from start to finish, which is why he struggled against them.

I definitely think he's capable of mastering the recognition aspect. But he's not proven that he already has. So I'm not making any kind of prediction like winning the division, which has to assume that he's mastered that part of the game without any significant playing time since last November.

Ricky has shown way more aptitude to win than JV so far.........SO we need to discount the "he's better" comment. He may be good and that experience he had should help him. I think we will have a really good O line next year and will be able to run the ball. Our D will be weaker than we have seen so we will need to control the ball much more. I could see us going into Nebby with that game deciding who goes to Indy if we have a strong running game.

Since Iowa will not change any offensive or defensive schemes for 2011, Iowa will not win the division.

Until Iowa changes it's schemes and becomes less predictable with playcalling, Iowa will never win the division, conference nor any NC championships.

Since Iowa will not change any offensive or defensive schemes for 2011, Iowa will not win the division.

Until Iowa changes it's schemes and becomes less predictable with playcalling, Iowa will never win the division, conference nor any NC championships.

Yup ... let us forget last year totally now and just concentrate on the negative. Nice.

This same coaching staff won conference titles in 2002 & 2004. Even if they were shared titles. So this statement is already proven to be wrong.

Does MSU really lose Cousins? I thought he was a junior this year. Either way MSU won't be as good next year. They lose a lot on the O-line and their best two in the secondary will be gone as well.

Edit: Oh and they lose two LB's one being Greg Jones. Their D will most likely be bad.

Last edited:
This same coaching staff won conference titles in 2002 & 2004. Even if they were shared titles. So this statement is already proven to be wrong.

I don't recall an outright championship and/or Rose Bowl appearance in those years. Do you? And if you state 2002 we were undefeated, well we lost to ISU. Something OSU didn't do.

BTW, the thread is for next year. So it is pretty much impossible to "prove me wrong" when we haven't even played the 2011 season.

Last edited:
Cousins is a jr. They do lose 3 OL according to rivals and they lose 2 linebackers and 2 defensive backs. Northwestern gets a lot of starters back. I think Nebraska has too tough of a schedule so I will be surprised if they win it, plus I don't think they have a QB to contend with in the Big 10. Wouldn't be completely surprised if Martinez transfers.

You have an extremely short memory. You should see a neurologist.

I like the optimism. And while Vandy has not taken many snaps, he has been in the system for a couple of years now. My gut feeling tells me I think he will be better than Stanzi. Stanzi was a good qb for Iowa but not a great qb. However, Stanzi's record as qb is tough to beat.

After this season's disappointment I am not taking any opponent as a "given" win. As another poster mentioned, I thought Cousins was only a junior?

If history is any indication, I do think the Hawks will bounce back and have a better season in 2011.

You have an extremely short memory. You should see a neurologist.

Think for a second about those two shared titles. Those happened to be two years where we opened it up on offense, once because the personel flat-out demanded that we do so, and the other out of necessity. Not sure if we'll win the division with any sort of consistency if we stick to the exact same formula. Hope I'm wrong, but we haven't won a league title under Ferentz without opening it up.

Latest posts