We Can Thank Coach Campbell on That Winning Catch

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
The way McNutt broke off the line, beat the DB to the spot, and looked that ball in - that's pure teaching by Soup.

We are dang lucky to have him on staff.

I agree.

KOK put us in a formation (dictated I am sure by tendencies) that would provide for single coverage on the #1 receiver.

Just heard Stanzi talking to Dolph about it. He said they knew they would play McNutt for the fade, so they called a slant figuring the DB would be to his outside. Great Call.

I said the same thing to my father in law. Coach Campbell deserves a raise. McNutt made an awesome move and then caught the ball. Beautiful execution!

Props to KOK as well. He called that last drive extremely well.

Also credit to T-Mo. Going in motion drew the defender over to give McMuffin 1 on 1 coverage. I didn't see it in live action, but on the replay it looks like Marv stepped hard to his left off the snap which made the corner back slightly to his right, giving the Big 7 JUST enough space to make that slant unstoppable!!! WOW!!!

I couldn't agree more with all of the posts on this subject so far. I think (hard swallow) that KOK called a great last drive, Stanzi was absolutely clutch on that whole last series, but the last play is the whole team, from guys in motion to draw single cover, and definitely on McNutt for making the move immediately to the inside-got great position, and made the QB's job easy. Perfect play. Not as amazing as the hook and ladder, but every bit as perfect!!

Go Hawks.

I would like to thank Mich St for bringing pressure on that play as well...I feel that if they sit back and rush just 3/4, that slant isn't going to be there.

I honestly believe that's a site adjust...if the corner is in press, McNutt had the option of fade or slant. The release off the LOS made the difference...after that it's just stealing with the 6'5" McNutt vs. the 5'10" (?) CB.

I couldn't agree more with all of the posts on this subject so far. I think (hard swallow) that KOK called a great last drive, Stanzi was absolutely clutch on that whole last series, but the last play is the whole team, from guys in motion to draw single cover, and definitely on McNutt for making the move immediately to the inside-got great position, and made the QB's job easy. Perfect play. Not as amazing as the hook and ladder, but every bit as perfect!!

Go Hawks.

From what I took from Kirk's post game presser, Stanzi called a lot of those plays on the 2 minute drill. I wish I recorded it, I'd go back and listen. I am fairly certain he said that Stanzi was the guy making the calls.

I would like to thank Mich St for bringing pressure on that play as well...I feel that if they sit back and rush just 3/4, that slant isn't going to be there.

I honestly believe that's a site adjust...if the corner is in press, McNutt had the option of fade or slant. The release off the LOS made the difference...after that it's just stealing with the 6'5" McNutt vs. the 5'10" (?) CB.

My thoughts too. You know Iowa isn't going to run a draw from 7. They have to get into the endzone, why not rush 3 and drop 8? I was blown away by the defensive call, but I'm not complaining.

Latest posts