We are NOT back.......

The simple question and not so simple: is this team better than last years team?

At this point in the year, I would say NO. I don't know what our record was last year at this time, but it doesn't really make any difference. We look slow at numerous positions, can't shoot well, and can't finish games.

I think loser becky just said that if Iowa played wincesconsin on espn instead of btn, the budgies would win

Wisconsin fan spends all of his time on an Iowa message board, trying to talk about Iowa basketball than tries to make the claim that Iowa basketball isn't more interesting than his stupid Badgers. Not buyin' in.

At this point in the year, I would say NO. I don't know what our record was last year at this time, but it doesn't really make any difference. We look slow at numerous positions, can't shoot well, and can't finish games.

Couldn't disagree more. This team is better than last year's squad.

[h=1]Big Ten Standings - 2011-12[/h]
Year: 2012-132011-122010-112009-102008-092007-082006-072005-062004-052003-042002-032001-02

STANDINGSCONFERENCEOVERALL
Big TenW-LGBPCTW-LPCTSTRK
Michigan State13-5--.72227-7.794W3
Ohio State13-5--.72227-7.794L1
Michigan13-5--.72224-9.727L1
Wisconsin12-61.66724-9.727L1
Indiana11-72.61125-8.758L1
Purdue10-83.55621-12.636L1
Northwestern8-105.44418-13.581L1
Iowa8-105.44417-16.515L1
Minnesota6-127.33319-14.576L1
Illinois6-127.33317-15.531L3
Nebraska4-149.22212-18.400L5
Penn State4-149.22212-20.375L5

Too early to tell really IMO.

If we can equal or better last year's conf and overall records, then, yes the program's better (because the league is significantly tougher than last year), and, Iowa didn't lose (this year) to the Campbell's of the world.

I'm saying "better" not necessarily "back" (that depends on how you define "back")....and everyone has a different opinion.

Last year's team got smoked by Campbell but then won a couple of tough road games. It's tough to say which one is better but I lean towards this years.

Apparently I have been watching different games than you.

Of the primary ball handlers, Clemmons averages the least turnovers per game and has the highest assist to turnover ratio.

Rarely does Clemmons force things and he had been playing well heading into the game yesterday, but played just bad.

You know all that dribble penetration that was happening yesterday against zone, Clemmons not on the floor is why Iowa had to play so much zone. Clemmons is the one player that can prevent dribble penetration, but he didn't show up yesterday and it is unfortunate. No other Iowa guard has shown the ability to defend against dribble penetration this season, other than Clemmons.

Like I have said before, if you saw him in HS, he was never the focus of anything for offense, but he averaged 14 ppg by doing everything else well and creating his own opportunities. He was the 3rd or 4th option on his team and he was able to do some really good things.

When his career wraps up, he is going to be one of the most efficient players Iowa has had in a long time.

My issues with Clemmons are not on the defensive side of the ball. I just don't get all warm and fuzzy when he has the ball in his hands during clutch moments of the game. It seems to me (in my completely uneducated and amateur opinion) like he is trying to make something happen but not successful. I've seen a few times where he's started to penetrate get stopped, then instead of trying to find the open man, pull up and miss the 10- foot jumper.

In those situations I'm not sure he's the one we want making the shot. I don't have an issue with trying to get the penetration, but it should be with the idea do draw a defender off Basabe or Woodbury and open them up for the easy bucket.

I think Clemmons has performed better than I thought as a freshman. What I really like about Clemmons is that it allows Gesell to play the off-guard. Gesell is too good to not have him on the court and Clemmons allows for a different type of look that will grow with time.

Clemmons is 10/31 from 3 point range (which isn't terrible, but not great). What I like is that he hasn't forced a lot of three pointers as is noted by only 31 attempts through 20 games. This percentage will increase with experience. He averages roughly 5 points a game which is pretty decent for a freshman back-up point guard. If you removed his 3 point makes and attempts, Clemmons is 23/58 on the season (roughly 40%) which is fairly efficient (but could obviously improve). I really like the 77 assists to only 33 turnovers as well. I know he only has 13 steals on the season, but I really like the way he defends the ball.

There is a lot of potential here and I like what he brings to the table. I know this is a Cyclone's opinion, but I think he is a great point guard that is very heady. I think Clemmons has a very high ceiling and is performing very well. I look for big things from him and Gesell going forward.

Actually you make a point because I don't see Iowa on national TV basically at all. You get the BTN games not the ESPN games. Wisconsin gets the ESPN games because when they play it draws eyeballs because Wisconsin is good.

Funny when I watched us beating Indiana in Bloomington, I don't remember seeing the Indiana fans sleeping like they'd taken a Ambien. In fact it was much louder than the game I just watched them play against MSU on Sunday. I could take some still photos of their crowd if you'd like to see?..........

Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois at home, Minnesota at home. Now go **** yourself and GTFO

This is what the real question is. When I look at Iowa I see a team that has better than 9th place talent yet they are sitting in 9th place. I also look at the individual players and try to assess who has gotten much better or even slightly better from their freshman year? I honestly can't see marked improvement from anyone on the roster from their earlier in their career. Marble has been under FM for 3 years. Is he significantly better? No, I don't think so. Part of the development should happen naturally without too much coaching from the player developing physically and being exposed to BIG basketball.

Maybe Fran should focus less on trying to get opposing teams players to transfer and more on improving the team he has.

And when you make one team your Super Bowl (Wisconsin) then it's difficult to get up for the other games.

LOL what a cluelss badger fan, still butt hurt are you....

Great coaches can win any style. Ryan is winning with the talent he is able to recruit. Our best recruiting class under Ryan comes in next year and he'll eventually play the style that fits them the best. We haven't run the swing in at least 4-5 seasons due to personnel. Ryan had one of the highest scoring/highest possession teams in his time at Platteville because he was playing with different horses. That's what good coaches do, they don't try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

I watch almost every conference game. So what was it about those whopping 16 first half points you put up against Purdue that should make me think somehow Iowa is revolutionizing the game?? I thought you guys were supposed to be a run n' gun team? Shouldn't you have had 16 points before the 1st media timeout?

You are so full of crap it is just oozing out you.

Bo Ryan can win ugly and that is about it, his style is boring and dumb but works for him cause that is the ONLY kind of kids he can get.

Once you get done being full of crap and actually post facts you can post again till then shut it.

Anyone who truly says they thought he would win the starting PG job and play as well as he has, is lying. I think it was a nice surprise for Iowa.

I never thought he would start (and I didn't say that in my write up). Most back-up freshman point guards don't average almost 19 minutes a game. They usually get anywhere from 2 - 9 minutes a game and average 1 -3 points a game. I think he is providing quality minutes and is in the game longer than your typical "relief" player. He has been a nice surprise in my eyes and I think he has a lot of talent.

That is a 2nd graders logic. But if head to head is the standard of who is better then wasn't Campbell a better program than Iowa last year? How about Wisconsin over Indiana this year? We beat them, we must be better than them this year. How about Ohio State being better than Michigan? Well OSU beat them head to head right?

Your arguments contain as much validity as my used toilet paper this morning.

Wisconsin basketball is also a mainstay on ESPN, ESPN2, CBS etc and we aren't a traditional power in a large market for TV. I'm guessing TV executives know more about who is going to get ratings than the people on this board. Oh, we're on National TV against OSU again tomorrow? 3rd straight Tuesday on ESPN? ESPN must love turning away viewers.

You just Butt hurt that the facts don't go your way.

I never thought he would start (and I didn't say that in my write up). Most back-up freshman point guards don't average almost 19 minutes a game. They usually get anywhere from 2 - 9 minutes a game and average 1 -3 points a game. I think he is providing quality minutes and is in the game longer than your typical "relief" player. He has been a nice surprise in my eyes and I think he has a lot of talent.

I know you didn't say that in your write up, I wasn't trying to imply that you did. I just meant in general, you know how people get sometimes with their "Oh, yeah I knew he was going to do that".

I thought he would play like Ingram is now. This is great, I love it. Being wrong in this way is alot better than being wrong with most of my predictions with the football over the years!

Actually you make a point because I don't see Iowa on national TV basically at all. You get the BTN games not the ESPN games. Wisconsin gets the ESPN games because when they play it draws eyeballs because Wisconsin is good.

Funny when I watched us beating Indiana in Bloomington, I don't remember seeing the Indiana fans sleeping like they'd taken a Ambien. In fact it was much louder than the game I just watched them play against MSU on Sunday. I could take some still photos of their crowd if you'd like to see?..........

You've lost three of your last four and haven't even hit the 50 point mark for three games. Yeah, people all over the country are clamoring to watch your boring team play. A sure cure for insomnia.

Latest posts