Wayne Morgan as an Iowa Assistant?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
A website that covers coaching searches has mentioned it this week, and I have had someone email me early in the week and then again today saying he hears its picking up some steam..this is someone with strong Iowa State connections that still know Wayne. He owns a successful satellite company in the area.

I emailed a friend of mine that is pretty plugged into this and said that yes, he had heard some rumblings on it and that McCaffery and Morgan are familiar with one another back to Morgan's days as an assistant at Syracuse.

Morgan is a very good recruiter...very good. And he wants to get back into coaching.

That's all I know and nothing I would call lock solid...but the chatter is picking up.

I believe that Francis from McCaffery's Siena staff is a lock and Mitch B is going to get the Siena job...leaving one full time assistant position open and a possible grad assistant position open.

I'd be for it. He definitely was able to get good talent to Iowa State, so one would think he'd do the same at Iowa.

IIRC, he had some shady scheduling going on or something like that that helped lead him to the door. That and I don't recall his record being as good as his players. Maybe he fits the assistant role better. I could be way off on that though too.

I purchased Dish Network from Wayne's company, and the guy that installed it did say that Wayne got a bad rap from ISU and would like to get back into coaching. FWIW :)

The guy is a great recruiter, no doubt about it. He got Taggart to go to ISU, didn't he? Stinson and Blaylock as well?

Morgan would be a good hire, especially if Mitch B stays with Siena. Morgan would provide the experienced veteran coach and solid recruiter (which was missing from the initial staffs of the two former coaches).

Very interesting. I remember ISU having some good talent while Morgan was there. That could be a good hire...

He's paid his dues as far as the Scheduling Deal goes. Wasn't that big of a deal. Good recruiter and lots of experience as an assistant coach. Took 2 ISU teams to the Post Season. At first I wasn't sure about this. Now I'm leaning the other way.

The guy was a flake when it came to media relations by the end of his time at ISU, so if he's hired I hope he has nothing to do with that at Iowa.

However, the guy can definitely recruit.

Would like to see Wayne on the sidelines. ISU had some excellent talent the state hasn't seen since his days. Stinson and Blalock were an absolute ball to watch. Is it 3 full time assistants then?

Morgan wasn't fired because of D1 scheduling according to my Cyclone friend. Apparently there were a lot of off the court issues that Morgan looked the other way on.

Morgan wasn't fired because of D1 scheduling according to my Cyclone friend. Apparently there were a lot of off the court issues that Morgan looked the other way on.

The good thing about that is that he wouldn't be the head man. I have no worries that Fran will run a very clean ship.

A website that covers coaching searches has mentioned it this week, and I have had someone email me early in the week and then again today saying he hears its picking up some steam..this is someone with strong Iowa State connections that still know Wayne. He owns a successful satellite company in the area.

I emailed a friend of mine that is pretty plugged into this and said that yes, he had heard some rumblings on it and that McCaffery and Morgan are familiar with one another back to Morgan's days as an assistant at Syracuse.

Morgan is a very good recruiter...very good. And he wants to get back into coaching.

That's all I know and nothing I would call lock solid...but the chatter is picking up.

I believe that Francis from McCaffery's Siena staff is a lock and Mitch B is going to get the Siena job...leaving one full time assistant position open and a possible grad assistant position open.

Aren't there 3 full time jobs and if Francis takes one doesn't that leave two left. I am seriously asking :)

I'm a huge Cyclone fan but I also root for the Hawks... what I've been told is that it wasn't NCAA violations or anything it was sort of a lack of institutional control. Players just did whatever.

What I've heard is along the same lines.

This would have a Mr. Davis / George Raveling coaching team feel to it in the sense of McCaffery runs uptempo ball and Morgan brings in the horses to make it go.

Think if Mr. Davis could have had Raveling reeling in the recruits he was capable of like BJ, Roy, Ed.....Scary good! :)

I'm all for it! It never felt like the scheduling deal at ISU was that big of a deal, it was sort of a new thing the NCAA cracked down on?

Wow, I love the idea of a staff of Morgan, Francis and Rodell Davis. And when you consider Fran used to be the only white kid playing on teams in Philly, the Hawkeyes could finally be getting some street cred back!

Now, if we could get Payne, Gatens and May to grow Matt Howard-like mustaches, we might actually have something here!

I know image isn't everything, but it'd be a far better image than the one from last year still burned in my mind: John Lickliter trying to pass out of a trap, surrounded by a couple athletic looking Michigan players who had a foot on him each, with thousands of empty seats in Carver behind him.

Baby steps to looking like a major college basketball program again.

This would have a Mr. Davis / George Raveling coaching team feel to it in the sense of McCaffery runs uptempo ball and Morgan brings in the horses to make it go.

Think if Mr. Davis could have had Raveling reeling in the recruits he was capable of like BJ, Roy, Ed.....Scary good! :)

I'm all for it! It never felt like the scheduling deal at ISU was that big of a deal, it was sort of a new thing the NCAA cracked down on?
I like that a lot!!

Latest posts