Washed Up Walkons Ep. 89: Nate Stanley

Kulick actually tweeted his disdain for OM. I don't get the dislike for Rudock. He stuck with his Iowa commitment after Florida schools started applying pressure. He worked through injury. Even guys like Miller questioned the way his losing the starting job was announced, given CJB/dad interview right before the horrendous TaxSlayer Bowl.

And frankly, it worked out well for everyone. CJB got all the reps in Spring, Rudock got healthy because of skipping Spring ball. No QB controversy, no distractions.

But of course those guys were in the huddle and locker-room with him, so they are privy to things we are not.

Kulick actually tweeted his disdain for OM. I don't get the dislike for Rudock. He stuck with his Iowa commitment after Florida schools started applying pressure. He worked through injury. Even guys like Miller questioned the way his losing the starting job was announced, given CJB/dad interview right before the horrendous TaxSlayer Bowl.

And frankly, it worked out well for everyone. CJB got all the reps in Spring, Rudock got healthy because of skipping Spring ball. No QB controversy, no distractions.
Yeah in regards to JR that's what I'm curious about too. But these guys were around him while he was there. So I'm curious about the why and timing of it all too. Did they prefer CJ even while JR was playing over him kinda deal? Or was it just a personality thing? Because how he left didn't seem to be an issue whatsoever. In the end it seemed like a great deal.

Yeah in regards to JR that's what I'm curious about too. But these guys were around him while he was there. So I'm curious about the why and timing of it all too. Did they prefer CJ even while JR was playing over him kinda deal? Or was it just a personality thing? Because how he left didn't seem to be an issue whatsoever. In the end it seemed like a great deal.

It really WAS a great deal, all around. CJ moved up to starter, JR got a Spring without contact, so he could recover from nagging injuries, and as a little bonus, we didn't play Michigan that year (unless they don't fumble that punt against MSU, and end up being our opponent in CCG). And, allegedly, CJ, JR, and a few others stayed in touch throughout the season and were supportive of each other.

I can see how "walk-on" players might feel like they stayed the course and kept their commitment, but none of them were from Florida, where (presumably) the family probably doesn't get to many games, and it's not like they had schools that would have made them starters. I mean, seriously, JR took Michigan to a 10-3 season and a win in the Citrus Bowl. He has hung around in the NFL. So, I guess I don't understand the need to tear him down.

Again, though, on the plus side nobody has supported NS any bigger than those guys did. And it's not like NS was a hometown kid and, in fact, shares that trait with JR, staying with the Iowa commitment after the hometown schools came calling.

It really WAS a great deal, all around. CJ moved up to starter, JR got a Spring without contact, so he could recover from nagging injuries, and as a little bonus, we didn't play Michigan that year (unless they don't fumble that punt against MSU, and end up being our opponent in CCG). And, allegedly, CJ, JR, and a few others stayed in touch throughout the season and were supportive of each other.

I can see how "walk-on" players might feel like they stayed the course and kept their commitment, but none of them were from Florida, where (presumably) the family probably doesn't get to many games, and it's not like they had schools that would have made them starters. I mean, seriously, JR took Michigan to a 10-3 season and a win in the Citrus Bowl. He has hung around in the NFL. So, I guess I don't understand the need to tear him down.

Again, though, on the plus side nobody has supported NS any bigger than those guys did. And it's not like NS was a hometown kid and, in fact, shares that trait with JR, staying with the Iowa commitment after the hometown schools came calling.
Yeah the PC way to go about it wouldn't be to ruffle the feathers when it seems like there isn't any reason to. So I'm curious what he was like in the building during meetings, practices, meals during their free time. It's not always an obvious between the white lines thing that these guys may not get along as well on. Or maybe they just preferred CJ. There was speculation at the time the team was kinda split on their allegences.

I just wish the Greg Davis era hadn't really happened. Sounds like he's a great guy. Nice and smart and knows football from what players have all said. But he had a square peg round hole philosophy for trying to win when the talent he had wasn't head and shoulders better then the opponents. How would things have been different with a different OC during that era?.. Look no further then how James Vandenberg went from stud to bum in a year...

Yeah the PC way to go about it wouldn't be to ruffle the feathers when it seems like there isn't any reason to. So I'm curious what he was like in the building during meetings, practices, meals during their free time. It's not always an obvious between the white lines thing that these guys may not get along as well on. Or maybe they just preferred CJ. There was speculation at the time the team was kinda split on their allegences.

I just wish the Greg Davis era hadn't really happened. Sounds like he's a great guy. Nice and smart and knows football from what players have all said. But he had a square peg round hole philosophy for trying to win when the talent he had wasn't head and shoulders better then the opponents. How would things have been different with a different OC during that era?.. Look no further then how James Vandenberg went from stud to bum in a year...

In GDs defense--and I can't believe I am saying this!--he did have basically one good WR to work with, and lost several RBs to injury. Then, losing two top OL in the PSU game just added insult to injury, pardon the cliche.

But,maybe the biggest problem, is who GD brought with him, and the negative effect THEY ended up having on the program.

Latest posts