Washed Up Walkons Ep. 89: Nate Stanley

Wrong. Takes money to buy quality equipment. These guys aren't all hanging out together when they do these. Kluver is in West Des Moines, Kulich is in Arizona, Ward is in IC sometimes but mostly on the road. The people they interview can be anywhere.
To get professional results, it takes professional equipment. If all it took was "standing close to a microphone" there would be no reason to buy better equipment.

Specifically what equipment are you talking about?

I’ve known several people in my life who were smart, funny, and good dudes, but sucked royally at their jobs. They either got fired or knew they had to quit.

Greg Davis may be cool and popular with players, but he was a horrible fit for OC at Iowa and squandered a whole lot of opportunities for success. And Tevaun Smith should sue that dumbass for $50 million. He’d win.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for the most part, players are going to circle the wagons on players and coaches in the program....it's just how it goes. But it's been hilarious hearing them talk about Rudock on occasion....they all hated that dude.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for the most part, players are going to circle the wagons on players and coaches in the program....it's just how it goes. But it's been hilarious hearing them talk about Rudock on occasion....they all hated that dude.
Who's Rudock?

Never heard of her.

I have no idea as I've never produced a podcast. But I know during previous episodes they apologized for the poor quality but promised they would be using money from their Patreon account to upgrade equipment.

I don't buy that. I think his upside is pretty high.

We all know his positives.

The negative boxes list is shorter. Inconsistent. Misses on some open throws. Probably too often for some. Head scratching picks at times. Will hold the ball too long and take sacks he shouldn't. Some of those 'head-scratching throws' and plays coaches will think they can coach out of him. I mean many QBs have been guilty of that and some are in the HOF.

There aren't many more negatives is there? It's a similar list to what CJ had coming out without some of the upside that Stanley has with his size etc. CJ had a team fall in love with him to take him as a BACKUP in the 3rd round. I don't think the 9ers were hoping to turn CJ into a franchise QB. Yet they allocated a 3rd rd pick for him.

I think once GMs coaches and scouts do more homework on Stanley and see him at the combine one of them will fall in lust with him and I doubt he falls much further then the 3rd round either. He has franchise QB potential. Probably not day 1. I won't go there. But putting him behind Big Ben for a yr or 2 (most often talked about fit and why wouldn't it be it makes the most sense)or another veteran QB to learn and I think he could very believably lead a team in the NFL. He's got what it takes.

Agreed. You can get really nice quality microphones for anywhere from $100 to $150, if you need a headset too I grabbed some Sennheisers on sale half price for about $200. Sound equipment is not that expensive, it doesn't take much.

Throwing head scratchers in college and the NFL hasn't hurt Jameis Winston too much. He's getting paid.
Right?!? If someone wants to tell me Stanley can't do what that chump has done minus stealing crab legs then go ahead and just try. I won't buy it. Stanley is plenty capable of playing no worse then him. Heck Tampa might be a good spot for Stanley too...

I think that most of the audio issues have nothing to do with the equipment. Its usually the bandwidth or intermittent connectivity / latency of the signal.

Echos and reverbs of the room are often not addressed by podcasters but will make a huge difference in audio quality and listenability.

Assuming that is not the issue, the mp3 can be edited with software like Adobe Audition (subscription fee) or Audacity which is free. Lower volume parts can be amplified in seconds.

upload_2020-2-20_14-32-1.png

I think that most of the audio issues have nothing to do with the equipment. Its usually the bandwidth or intermittent connectivity / latency of the signal.

Echos and reverbs of the room are often not addressed by podcasters but will make a huge difference in audio quality and listenability.

Assuming that is not the issue, the mp3 can be edited with software like Adobe Audition (subscription fee) or Audacity which is free. Lower volume parts can be amplified in seconds.

View attachment 6353

I agree with this. I listen to all of their podcasts and have been using Audacity to edit music for over ten years. Better mics would improve the sound quality, but I don't think it's a necessary upgrade in their case. The biggest issue I have is that the audio level is bit low overall and varies greatly between the people speaking. I always have to have my phone wide open to hear them (I usually listen with the loudspeaker). Applying dynamic range compression would fix this problem. Although, applying an effect like that with Audacity would probably take a minute or two for an hour long audio track rather than a few seconds - depending on the processing power of the computer. It would be a worth the effort though. Each computer could be optimized to get the most out of their setup, but they might not have the know-how to do this.

Unfortunately, the built-in sound driver software that comes with most newer computers (especially laptops) makes things worse. They have all sorts of sound enhancements that need to be disabled for music editing. I actually have the Equalizer APO and corresponding Peace interface installed on my computer for this exact reason.

This podcast lost me after a year. They repeatedly kept telling fans how to think and be fans. Their guests are are great. And Kevin Ward is good. But, Kluv is brutal to listen to, and Drake is just a meat head.

Give it another try, I think they have changed their tone a bit. Drake is actually a very smart dude, but he is hardcore, and he loves playing the meathead role. He has allowed himself to be a bit more thoughtful in the pods they have put out this year (but he is still Drake).

They are always going to be homers (and they should be), but they do provide some very interesting insight into what it is like to be a Hawkeye FB player. I listened to their first pod, and I was turned off right away. But I came back because I wanted to hear the Paulson episode, and it was very interesting. I have listened to the subsequent interviews with recent alums (Gervasse, Stanley, Easley, Perry, Nieman) and they are all very good.

I listened to a couple. The anti-Oliver martin stuff turned me off a bit, and hearing they rag on Jake Rudock doesn't make me any more excited to listen, either.

I like that they support Nate, and all, but ragging on a guy after he is gone is bush league.

I listened to a couple. The anti-Oliver martin stuff turned me off a bit, and hearing they rag on Jake Rudock doesn't make me any more excited to listen, either.

I like that they support Nate, and all, but ragging on a guy after he is gone is bush league.
I've only heard a few of them but haven't heard them bring up either of them so far. I'd be curious to know their angles on both those guys.

They'd have overlapped with Rudock a little I bet so they'd have known him at least a little. Martin obviously not but I'd be curious to how the negativity towards him is being framed exactly.

I've only heard a few of them but haven't heard them bring up either of them so far. I'd be curious to know their angles on both those guys.

They'd have overlapped with Rudock a little I bet so they'd have known him at least a little. Martin obviously not but I'd be curious to how the negativity towards him is being framed exactly.

Kulick basicaly said "No f-ing way should KF take this guy!"

Kulick basicaly said "No f-ing way should KF take this guy!"
Weird. Just because he went to Michigan to start with? Well unless he beats out Ragini he doesn't really have any clear path to PT anyway. B Smith and Smith-Marseette. and Tracy aren't going to have many reps taken from them. Oliver may only get to play significant snaps his senior yr....

Weird. Just because he went to Michigan to start with? Well unless he beats out Ragini he doesn't really have any clear path to PT anyway. B Smith and Smith-Marseette. and Tracy aren't going to have many reps taken from them. Oliver may only get to play significant snaps his senior yr....

When they had Easley on, Kulick said he thought that same thing about Nick. Easley was a walkon from IWCC, but he was announcing his Iowa committment on twitter (having already announced a prior committment to ISU on twitter). Drake said he thought Easley was gonna be a douche. But as soon as Easley got on board, and everyone saw how he worked, Easley was immediately welcomed.

The WUWs talked about how hard it can be for someone to fit in when they have not been there from the jump. Players that have been immersed in the culture for 3-4 years have a hard time accepting someone who gets in late. These guys go through hell, especially as freshman. If you miss that experience, you just get looked at differently. Easley was obviously able to make it work through a combination of his attitude and production. The WUWs mentioned Oliver Martin's season this year as an example that it can be tough for players to get up to speed, culture-wise. I am not sure if that is speculation on their part, or if that is coming from sources on the team.

When they had Easley on, Kulick said he thought that same thing about Nick. Easley was a walkon from IWCC, but he was announcing his Iowa committment on twitter (having already announced a prior committment to ISU on twitter). Drake said he thought Easley was gonna be a douche. But as soon as Easley got on board, and everyone saw how he worked, Easley was immediately welcomed.

The WUWs talked about how hard it can be for someone to fit in when they have not been there from the jump. Players that have been immersed in the culture for 3-4 years have a hard time accepting someone who gets in late. These guys go through hell, especially as freshman. If you miss that experience, you just get looked at differently. Easley was obviously able to make it work through a combination of his attitude and production. The WUWs mentioned Oliver Martin's season this year as an example that it can be tough for players to get up to speed, culture-wise. I am not sure if that is speculation on their part, or if that is coming from sources on the team.

Kulick actually tweeted his disdain for OM. I don't get the dislike for Rudock. He stuck with his Iowa commitment after Florida schools started applying pressure. He worked through injury. Even guys like Miller questioned the way his losing the starting job was announced, given CJB/dad interview right before the horrendous TaxSlayer Bowl.

And frankly, it worked out well for everyone. CJB got all the reps in Spring, Rudock got healthy because of skipping Spring ball. No QB controversy, no distractions.