Washed Up Walkons Ep. 89: Nate Stanley

Their podcast is the greatest thing ever. They had Wirfs on too. Their camaraderie is unreal. Listening to their no holds barred perspectives is awesome.

I listened to this today and came away impressed. Stanley comparing himself to daniels Jones

Stanley is a great kid and a great Hawk. A couple nuggets to me:
- the "Hawkeye challenge" offseason program. Sounds brutal and amazing.
- Brian is a smart dude. Ok, I'm open to the idea.
- Players liked GDGD, he was a good guy. I'll forgive him I suppose.
- I'm glad the players and coaches circle the wagons around the outside criticism and BS. So much hate.
- Nate is proud of his QB sneak legacy. I honestly think we vastly underutilized the play this year.

Best of luck at the next level dude.

Stanley is a great kid and a great Hawk. A couple nuggets to me:
- the "Hawkeye challenge" offseason program. Sounds brutal and amazing.
- Brian is a smart dude. Ok, I'm open to the idea.
- I'm glad the players and coaches circle the wagons around the outside criticism and BS. So much hate.
- Nate is proud of his QB sneak legacy. I honestly think we vastly underutilized the play this year.

Best of luck at the next level dude.

The feelings on Greg Davis being cool and Brian being football smart seem to be universal among players, so it’s making me consider them as well.

The feelings on Greg Davis being cool...

I’ve known several people in my life who were smart, funny, and good dudes, but sucked royally at their jobs. They either got fired or knew they had to quit.

Greg Davis may be cool and popular with players, but he was a horrible fit for OC at Iowa and squandered a whole lot of opportunities for success. And Tevaun Smith should sue that dumbass for $50 million. He’d win.

Last edited:
The feelings on Greg Davis being cool and Brian being football smart seem to be universal among players, so it’s making me consider them as well.

It's one thing to have college players say you have football smarts, but its when Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley start calling them offensive gurus, then I will be impressed.

I’ve known several people in my life who were smart, funny, and good dudes, but sucked royally at their jobs. They either got fired or knew they had to quit.

Greg Davis may be cool and popular with players, but he was a horrible fit for OC at Iowa and squandered a whole lot of opportunities for success. And Tevaun Smith should sue that dumbass for $50 million. He’d win.
Smith waay undevalued.In Canada?

Paulsen Twins episode was the goat. Miquel Recinos episode was a damned close second.
I concur. I relate pretty well with those twins. I grew up less then an hour from Moville and can totally relate with how they grew up. Hearing their stories about how they were recruited was awesome. They were wrestlers and not really football fans at all. Pretty much Austin Blythe who was a monster wrestler in HS too is who they kinda knew of and related with in going to Iowa.

I didn't know Levi had hurt his back in the Middle TN game and that was how Schott got in and could start showing what he could do. There's so much of things like that where yeah these guys get hurt to where it affects their play that won't necessarily be talked about as an injury. Football is just brutal on these guys. Physically/mentally it's a hell of a grind for these guys to do what they do for the programs.

These podcasts are the best. Hearing these guys talking with each other instead of some media talking head (no offense Rob) interviewing them that couldn't relate is just different. I'm catching up and will be consuming as many of their podcasts as possible. I think they are up to almost 90 of them

I still wake up in a cold sweat with "horizontal passing game nightmares."

The audio quality was so crappy inconsistent low / high just took a lot away from the Paulsen's podcast. They have an opportunity, with little effort, to focus on technical quality

I concur. I relate pretty well with those twins. I grew up less then an hour from Moville and can totally relate with how they grew up. Hearing their stories about how they were recruited was awesome. They were wrestlers and not really football fans at all. Pretty much Austin Blythe who was a monster wrestler in HS too is who they kinda knew of and related with in going to Iowa.

I didn't know Levi had hurt his back in the Middle TN game and that was how Schott got in and could start showing what he could do. There's so much of things like that where yeah these guys get hurt to where it affects their play that won't necessarily be talked about as an injury. Football is just brutal on these guys. Physically/mentally it's a hell of a grind for these guys to do what they do for the programs.

These podcasts are the best. Hearing these guys talking with each other instead of some media talking head (no offense Rob) interviewing them that couldn't relate is just different. I'm catching up and will be consuming as many of their podcasts as possible. I think they are up to almost 90 of them

That podcast should be listened to by any fan that wants to cast stones at these guys playing their hearts out for the Hawks. I think Levi mentioned about 7 major injuries/surgeries he went through from right before he got to Iowa (dislocated elbow) to his senior year (herniated disc vs. MTSU). Every time he started to break through, something else would happen. He talked about hardly being able to move throughout his whole senior season, but still going out there and trying to help the team.

I also thought it was interesting that these guys had no other offers. They both admitted that they were terrible overall athletes, but they were big and had great character. Iowa saw that, and offered them as sophomores. They were sure they could mold them into effective lineman, and if not for the injuries, I am sure they would have been right. Even with the injuries, it sounds like their contributions to the team off the field were huge.

That podcast just makes you feel good about being an Iowa fan. Go Hawks!

nah... standing close to a microphone is all it takes. and just a review and simple audio engineering.
Wrong. Takes money to buy quality equipment. These guys aren't all hanging out together when they do these. Kluver is in West Des Moines, Kulich is in Arizona, Ward is in IC sometimes but mostly on the road. The people they interview can be anywhere.
To get professional results, it takes professional equipment. If all it took was "standing close to a microphone" there would be no reason to buy better equipment.

Wrong. Takes money to buy quality equipment. These guys aren't all hanging out together when they do these. Kluver is in West Des Moines, Kulich is in Arizona, Ward is in IC sometimes but mostly on the road. The people they interview can be anywhere.
To get professional results, it takes professional equipment. If all it took was "standing close to a microphone" there would be no reason to buy better equipment.

Since they are scattered about they could probably do better with Zoom for $15 a month.

That podcast should be listened to by any fan that wants to cast stones at these guys playing their hearts out for the Hawks. I think Levi mentioned about 7 major injuries/surgeries he went through from right before he got to Iowa (dislocated elbow) to his senior year (herniated disc vs. MTSU). Every time he started to break through, something else would happen. He talked about hardly being able to move throughout his whole senior season, but still going out there and trying to help the team.

I also thought it was interesting that these guys had no other offers. They both admitted that they were terrible overall athletes, but they were big and had great character. Iowa saw that, and offered them as sophomores. They were sure they could mold them into effective lineman, and if not for the injuries, I am sure they would have been right. Even with the injuries, it sounds like their contributions to the team off the field were huge.

That podcast just makes you feel good about being an Iowa fan. Go Hawks!
Amen to that. Amen.
Obviously they were looked up to by their teammates too. Most guys that come in work their buts off and do what the program asks of you would. These guys spend so many hours together not just at practice and meetings but laying around the dorms and homes they rent. It's just fun hearing them BS amongst each other instead of the usual Q & As from media.