Was Xavier there?

If I was Jbo, I would be talking to Garza a great deal in the next 9 days. If Garza is leaving early, I would play this year. And I think there is a very good chance we lose Garza.

I'm wondering the same thing. Do you think his game can translate to the NBA?

I agree with the statement you made later, if Garza projects as a 1st round pick then he's gotta go. Cash in while you can.

Sure hope he's back next year.

This whole discussion is a good snapshot of the complicated nature of modern college basketball. It sure makes you wonder - what is the "best" model for a college program today? The short answer is that it depends on the program. Iowa is not Kentucky. But we still want to target high level recruits and be as "talented" as we can. What I'm getting at is that programs like Iowa need to work incredibly hard at optimizing their rosters in this climate of players leaving early for the NBA. I love this Iowa team because they seem to be playing well together and working hard. Their talent level is strong, but none of these guys jump off the page as "he's gone for the NBA next year" guys. Garza and Wieskamp obviously will get NBA looks and are 100% pro players that will make money somewhere. But I don't think it's honest to say Wieskamp can or will leave for the NBA after his sophomore year. He's good. He's not that good (yet).

Cool article from this week in the Star Tribune - provides an interesting look at how early departures have impacted the Big10:

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...ba-hurting-big-ten-s-overall-depth/565955621/
Yeah I agree Garza and JW aren't on some kind of track to be lottery picks in the NBA be it after this yr or next. I would be shocked at that if they do. 2nd rounders sure I could get down with that. But even still there's only 60 picks out of the thousands of kids all over the WORLD not just the good ole USA anymore trying to get taken. And I say thousands not millions because obviously there's a realistic side of this to it. Some kids are drafted on future potential and stashed. Others are taken to hopefully contribute with everything inbetween. So far most kids are coming from college ball here still. But more and more are being taken from all over and I think the one and done rule will be toast again allowing HS kids to make the jump soon. The dynamics of it all is interesting no doubt about it.

If he averages a double double for the season and is a 1st team all american per Dan Dakich then maybe he should think about it.

But, hey, there's a whole B1G conference season to play, let's see how it pans out.

I don't think Luka has the game for the NBA. I don't know even if JW has enough talent for the NBA. The leap is very high. Think about it, how many players has Fran put on an NBA roster and I'm not counting players on a 10 game contract that get pushed back to the G league curb. I believe the number is zero....

I wonder whether McCaffery would let Papa Garza work with Nunge after his rehab. If he could work on his footwork and moves around the basket, he would be a nice tool to have in case Luke does leave.

Well...if Fran wants Foster to change his mind...he might start the process by having dinner with Foster's girlfriend's parents. Christ, we lose to ISU for this kid because he's whipped. I'm not sure we need someone that mentally weak.

There's an entire ocean out there, son...stop fishing in the mud puddle (Ames, Iowa).

I wonder if we tell him that Garza's dad will help him improve in the offseason...would that help? (a small dig at Fran there). credit goes to previous post for beating me to it.

Last edited:
If he projects as a first round pick, he has to go. There is too much risk of either getting injured, or even the hype cooling around him. You have to take the money when it is available.

If he puts a higher priority on money than he does memories, then he for sure has to go. If he loves it at Iowa and doesn't want his time to end here yet, he has to stay. It all depends on his priorities. Weirdly it has nothing to do with what you prioritize.

My college memories are great, but like nearly everyone, I would be willing to trade away a years worth for a million or more.

My college memories are great, but like nearly everyone, I would be willing to trade away a years worth for a million or more.

Well sure. But what if there was a 99.9% chance you could have both? Would you trade that year out of fear of the .1% chance you would lose out on the money?

Well sure. But what if there was a 99.9% chance you could have both? Would you trade that year out of fear of the .1% chance you would lose out on the money?
Tim Duncan was a top 10 pick but came back as a 5th year senior. That worked out well. And before anyone says it I’m not suggesting Garza is Duncan. Does anyone know why he came back. I don’t recall.

Tim Duncan was a top 10 pick but came back as a 5th year senior. That worked out well. And before anyone says it I’m not suggesting Garza is Duncan. Does anyone know why he came back. I don’t recall.

Life is all a big chance of unknown. You can think you are being smart by leaving early, then suffer a career ending injury your first year in the NFL. Or you could be stupid and go back to school, end up never getting hurt, and have a long NFL career. The "smart" route would pay way less than the "stupid" route if that played out. There is no way you can know in advance which way will net you the most money. The only thing you know for sure is if you stay a year, you could end up with nothing. Since there are insurance policies for that, it isn't as big of a factor as it's made out. And to the people who point out the Jake Butt's of the world, who's to say he wouldn't have suffered a career ending injury his first year anyway? If he did, how much extra money would he have made off the guaranteed money vs the insurance policy. I'm sure more. But you're rich either way.

Sorry, but your percentages are way off. There is a much better than 1% chance that a player is not as hot a prospect after another year of college. There is the possibility of injury, there is also the chance that the current hype surrounding a kid like Garza just dissipates, You also have to consider the time value of money. If you are able to stash away a sizable nest egg early in your career, it is not a trivial difference even in one year of compounded interest. I used to think like you, but I have seen kids stay in school and never make a big payday in the league that they could have if they left early. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stack.

I love Luka, but he's not an NBA player. Perhaps circa 1970, but not in today's NBA. Athletically, he would get dominated.

He'll put together a nice European career and make some good money, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sorry, but your percentages are way off. There is a much better than 1% chance that a player is not as hot a prospect after another year of college. There is the possibility of injury, there is also the chance that the current hype surrounding a kid like Garza just dissipates, You also have to consider the time value of money. If you are able to stash away a sizable nest egg early in your career, it is not a trivial difference even in one year of compounded interest. I used to think like you, but I have seen kids stay in school and never make a big payday in the league that they could have if they left early. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stack.

You are only factoring in one side tho. There is also the possiblity the player improves his stock by coming back. It's all just such a gamble. I don't want you to think I'm saying your odds of making more money is better if you come back. I'm sure they are worse. The thing I argue is how much worse they are and whether or not the individual is ok taking that risk to guarantee he gets the memory of another year.

It was his mothers dying wish that he got his degree. She died of breast cancer when he was 13.

Latest posts