Was Xavier there?

"Garza will have a decision to make at the end of this year" - Dan Dakich
Garza seems to be very self aware and level headed. And his dad seems to be involved in decisions and thinking and works with him a lot. I think he will make the right decision...whatever that is.

Garza seems to be very self aware and level headed. And his dad seems to be involved in decisions and thinking and works with him a lot. I think he will make the right decision...whatever that is.
Honestly I don't think his game translates to the NBA all that well at all. I mean yeah he can stand still shoot some but I don't think he's athletic enough to play the one on one pick and roll game the NBA is all about. Unless he wants to go overseas I'll bet ya he will be back for his senior year.

ISU didn't seem to have much after Halliburton, which was a surprise.

I wonder if ISU would let the X man out of his LOI?

Honestly I don't think his game translates to the NBA all that well at all. I mean yeah he can stand still shoot some but I don't think he's athletic enough to play the one on one pick and roll game the NBA is all about. Unless he wants to go overseas I'll bet ya he will be back for his senior year.

I've been worrying about this as well but it is what it is. If he can get a 1st round contract it's great for him and Iowa.

I've been worrying about this as well but it is what it is. If he can get a 1st round contract it's great for him and Iowa.
He seems to also be enjoying himself a ton (minus his face getting smashed in every game it seems like) I think he is having the time of his life now and why shouldn't he be? He's obviously worked a ton on his body and his game. I don't think that can be understated about him. Most 4/5 star kids are so gifted athletically with what God gave them that a lot of it just comes easier/naturally for them. Garza sure he's tall but he isn't naturally athletic. He's had to work on that and not to mention his overall big man skills not just shooting. I just love seeing a kid make it through strait up hard work. We should all be loving on this dude. I'll be happy for him no matter what he does too.

If I was Jbo, I would be talking to Garza a great deal in the next 9 days. If Garza is leaving early, I would play this year. And I think there is a very good chance we lose Garza.

ISU didn't seem to have much after Halliburton, which was a surprise.

I wonder if ISU would let the X man out of his LOI?

Whats wild to me is Haliburton wasn't highly recruited at all. He's from Wisconsin and not even the Badgers offered him. Zion Griffin was supposed to be a stud, but in year two he still barely plays.

ISU got hurt real bad by early departures but still...I don't know how someone could look at that team and be excited for the future. Haliburton is for sure gone after this year, Jacobson and Nixon graduate. They have Foster coming in next year but he's likely a project that won't have significant and immediate impact.

But still...its a basketball school lul

I don't think he'll early depart even if he's an all american. I really hope I'm right. He will absolutely do the NBA feedback thing though

If he projects as a first round pick, he has to go. There is too much risk of either getting injured, or even the hype cooling around him. You have to take the money when it is available.

Sure hope he's back next year.

This whole discussion is a good snapshot of the complicated nature of modern college basketball. It sure makes you wonder - what is the "best" model for a college program today? The short answer is that it depends on the program. Iowa is not Kentucky. But we still want to target high level recruits and be as "talented" as we can. What I'm getting at is that programs like Iowa need to work incredibly hard at optimizing their rosters in this climate of players leaving early for the NBA. I love this Iowa team because they seem to be playing well together and working hard. Their talent level is strong, but none of these guys jump off the page as "he's gone for the NBA next year" guys. Garza and Wieskamp obviously will get NBA looks and are 100% pro players that will make money somewhere. But I don't think it's honest to say Wieskamp can or will leave for the NBA after his sophomore year. He's good. He's not that good (yet).

Cool article from this week in the Star Tribune - provides an interesting look at how early departures have impacted the Big10:

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...ba-hurting-big-ten-s-overall-depth/565955621/

If he projects as a first round pick, he has to go. There is too much risk of either getting injured, or even the hype cooling around him. You have to take the money when it is available.

i love luka, but I just can’t see how he’s a first round pick. He plays tough and has a great interior game, and shoots way better than cook. However the NBA is a guard league now.

Latest posts