Was that the worst loss ever?

DuffMan

Iowa went on a mini run to pull within 30 (for ****s sake that's embarrassing even to type) but I have to think that was the worst loss in the history of Iowa bball. I'm not talking strictly as a point margin (although it might be close) and I'm not talking long term impact or its bad because of what it might mean about the team.

I'm saying I'm 35 years old and I can't ever remember an Iowa team being dominated that badly. We were light years behind MSU. I do HS bball and I can't recall a HS bball game that was that lopsided. At one point we were down 90 to fourtysomething, holy ****.

Honestly, that didn't look much different than most of the times Iowa plays there. I understand it's a tough place to play, but so is the Kohl Center, Assembly Hall(s), the Barn, etc..., and somehow Iowa manages to at least play well in those buildings every once in a while.

Iowa fans were celebrating a 12 point loss at the Breslin Center a few years ago. I hope that building explodes.

When I think of some of the worst losses ever this game will not even crack the top 10. Losing in the first round to Northwestern State is up there and so is a regional final loss to UNLV back in 1987 when Iowa was up by 19. By the end of the season I will have forgotten about this game.

I guess we have to differentiate between worst meaning most meaningful loss (like a loss in the NCAA tourney against a team we should have beaten), or worst meaning pure size of the beat-down.

I guess we have to differentiate between worst meaning most meaningful loss (like a loss in the NCAA tourney against a team we should have beaten), or worst meaning pure size of the beat-down.

At least it was against Michigan State and not Campbell. That game was an all around beat down as well and on our own home court. The game against Creighton earlier this year was like this one and so was the beating Ohio State dished out on Iowa Saturday.

If you are going to lose, might as well lose big. Losing to Purdue was more painful as they coulda/shoulda won it.

Many of Alford's teams got handled just about as badly in Breslin - down by 10 at the first TV timeout. Down by 20 at the second. Down by 25-30 at halftime. Team just didn't show up, and that seemed like an annual occurrence in that building.

I remember getting abused pretty badly a few times back in 1990, the year after BJ, Marble & Horton graduated. Iowa lost 118-71 @Indiana that year.

Link:
1989-90 Iowa Hawkeyes Men's Basketball schedule | Fanbase

Last night's game was bad, but depending on how far back your memory goes, there are other pretty severe beatdowns that give it a run for its money.

Nope. In the mid 90's Iowa played their last regular season game at Indiana on selection Sunday, and this was a good Iowa team. Iowa was pretty much in the tournament and definitely in with a win. Well, Iowa goes over there and just gets demolished, loses by 30+ on CBS right before the selection show. Iowa still should have been in, but that loss kept them on the outside looking in and it was as much a disaster as last night with a much better team.

Last night went close to how I expected it to go so it wasn't that bad of a loss to my mind. The talent gap is too wide to compete against a team full of thoroughbreds. Especially on the road in a venue where Iowa wins are rare.

When I think of some of the worst losses ever this game will not even crack the top 10. Losing in the first round to Northwestern State is up there and so is a regional final loss to UNLV back in 1987 when Iowa was up by 19. By the end of the season I will have forgotten about this game.

To this day the UNLV loss is still the most painful for me. I can still see the assistant coach high stepping out onto the court.

The 2006 loss was much worse.
Ager, Neitzel, Brown and company made one of the best Iowa teams in the past 15 years look silly.

The 2006 loss was much worse.
Ager, Neitzel, Brown and company made one of the best Iowa teams in the past 15 years look silly.

Again that might be true, and that loss might have been more meaningful big picture, it might have hurt more.... but I still can't remember an Iowa team that was more completely demolished than this one.

Again that might be true, and that loss might have been more meaningful big picture, it might have hurt more.... but I still can't remember an Iowa team that was more completely demolished than this one.
The 35 point drubbing up at Minnesota in Lick's last year was worse too. That was an *** kicking.
There were also some games in Value City Arena that got ugly quickly. Matta pulled off his dogs to bail out his buddy.

The 35 point drubbing up at Minnesota in Lick's last year was worse too. That was an *** kicking.

That is certainly in the conversation. What made that more impressive from a MN standpoint is they beat us by 35 when we ate the ball for the entire shot clock.

Latest posts