Was that the worst loss ever?

The 35 point drubbing up at Minnesota in Lick's last year was worse too. That was an *** kicking.
There were also some games in Value City Arena that got ugly quickly. Matta pulled off his dogs to bail out his buddy.

I immediately thought of the back to back games in Madison and Minneapolis in Lick's final year. Those were pretty much the final nails in his coffin.

Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Wisconsin Badgers - Recap - March 03, 2010 - ESPN

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300660135

lets see a rebuilding team that may finish anywhere for 6th to 10th getting beat by a pair of potential round of 8 or better teams
hmmm not really surprised by the beat down, it doesn't come close to getting into the worst loss column
to me it is a bloody knee on the bumpy road of recovery

For ****s sake, read the OP. I'm talking worse loss in terms of a pure beat down. We were absolutely dominated. Sure there are more painful losses, and more meaningful losses, that's not what I'm talking about.

It stunk, because Iowa was not competitive...but most of the games I can recall against MSU in the Breslin, Iowa has not been competitive...to me, if you are not competitive, whether you lose by 34 or 18, really doesn't matter.

Iowa needs more players that can do something with the ball in their hands from a dribble drive, attack the basket standpoint. They also need more shooters and a few other things. They have begun the process, but this is three to four year process IMO. This is year two, next year is another year of laying the foundation...or perhaps a third coat of paint. Year four of the Fran era is going to need to begin producing considerable results.

I'm glad I got to witness pretty much all of these games and one sweet sixteen game in my life.

worst loss ever was being a 3 seed and losing. we had a chance to go a couple rounds that year. I came in already expecting a 10-20 point loss. MSU hasn't loss since they lost to UNC and Duke. THen you throw in that we have never been good at MSU. We had a bad game and they played well. Lville is ranked 15th and they lost to a providence team that hadn't one a conference game by 31. Road wins anywhere are tough. I personaly don't think that you can have a "fluke" win. Especially on the road. You either win or lose. make enough plays or didn't.

worst loss ever was being a 3 seed and losing. we had a chance to go a couple rounds that year. I came in already expecting a 10-20 point loss. MSU hasn't loss since they lost to UNC and Duke. THen you throw in that we have never been good at MSU. We had a bad game and they played well. Lville is ranked 15th and they lost to a providence team that hadn't one a conference game by 31. Road wins anywhere are tough. I personaly don't think that you can have a "fluke" win. Especially on the road. You either win or lose. make enough plays or didn't.

Derp

As much as it pains to me to agree with DuffMan, I have to on this one. I said the same to my bro-in-law in CA who kept texting me for updates. "Worst loss I can remember". It actually reminded me of some of the beatings we took under Lickliter where it seemed hitting 20 points was a milestone. At least OSU wasn't clowning us the whole second half like Izzo's stooges. I would love to talk about redemption when they come to IC, but redemption might consist of keeping it around a 20 point loss.

Iowa had an ugly game against UNLV in 1989. The final score wasn't too bad (97-80), but it was painful to watch. It was a struggle for our guards to even get the ball up the court.

The worst game that I have ever seen was the game at Minnesota in Lick's final year. I remember watching it and thinking "this is a dream, it just can't be this pathetic."
That said, I didn't get to watch Tuesday and a part of me is glad that I didn't after a thread with this title.

The 35 point drubbing up at Minnesota in Lick's last year was worse too. That was an *** kicking.
There were also some games in Value City Arena that got ugly quickly. Matta pulled off his dogs to bail out his buddy.
If I remember correctly, Tubby left the starters in until the last minute or so that game....

The worst played games by the Hawkeyes that resulted in huge deficits were the Minnesota game Lick's last year and the MSU game Tuesday night. The worst defeat was the Northwestern State game. I was shocked to see that last second shot fall. Alford didn't even have Hansen in the game for NW State's last possession. He was the leading shot blocker in the Big Ten. Alford took him out after Brunner made his first free throw. He missed the second, NWS got the rebound, and the rest is history.

Always wondered why Alforrd gave up after the winning basket. NWS players were running on the court with a few seconds on the clock. Adam Haluska drove down court and missed a long three. Stevie should have demanded a technical on NWS, but he just walked off the floor, probably pondering the fact that he blew any possibility of becoming the Indiana coach because of his pitiful coaching that game.

The UNLV loss at the Kingdome was particularly painful because we had a legitimate chance to win it all that year. That team was my favorite Hawk team ever.....

:)

Latest posts