Was that fun to watch?

Its one game, we will get better and be a lot stronger on the defensive end. Several of our players this was their 1st game against real competition. They will grow as the year goes along. I look for Cartwright to take over the point and move Cully to the 2 spot.

I just watched Indiana, they look worse than we do! They barely got beat by Ferris State Div 2 school!

Quick thoughts after being at the game today.

(a) Announced crows of 11500 but it was closer to about 9000.

(b) Arena staff/services and parking peeps are still in the pre-season.

(c) Crowd was loud a couple times. Brought back great memories for a couple minutes.

(d) SDSU was playing without two players and one was their top scorer. I am sure we would have had a tough time identifying him as well. Cole said on the radio that they worked for 3 days on identifying #3 and #10. I think they scored 40 betweeen them. Eeeks!

(a)...yep...no way there were 11,500 butts in seats. Not even close. I think you're being kind with 9,000...I'd guess 50% capacity.

(b)...PerMar merely gave token resistance. Lines were a bit long at the concessions. Prices didn't change from last year.

(c)...honestly...the loudest cheering I heard was when that kid won a semester's worth of tuition at halftime. Seriously.

(d)...thanks for bringing that up. Yes, Iowa was without Gatens, but as you accurately stated, SDSU didn't have all of their horses either.

My take is we missed a lot of bunnies inside. We were getting there, but then were missing chippies. FT misses were 8-10 I think. That hurt. No fast break points that I remember. SDSU is now 2-0....they previouisly beat Eastern Illinois. But I shudder to compare SDSU to what Purdue, MSU and Illinois will bring.

For those of you saying the problem with the Hawks in this game was inexperienced youth, the Jacks had nearly as many minutes from freshman and sophomores as the Hawks did 117 to 132. I would not call the Jacks a veteran team.

For those of you saying the problem with the Hawks in this game was inexperienced youth, the Jacks had nearly as many minutes from freshman and sophomores as the Hawks did 117 to 132. I would not call the Jacks a veteran team.
Their sophomore PG played about 100x better than our sophomore PG. That was the primary difference in the game. Cully got schooled on both ends.

Gatens will definitely help. He'll give us a primary scoring option to get the ball to in the half-court sets. However, without improved PG play, it's going to be a very long season. The PG is everything in our up-tempo style. Maybe Carthwright will give us that. I just don't see it being Cully though. Too slow. Can't pass on the drive. Can't consistently knock down the outside shot.

SDSU was playing without two players and one was their top scorer. I am sure we would have had a tough time identifying him as well. Cole said on the radio that they worked for 3 days on identifying #3 and #10. I think they scored 40 betweeen them. Eeeks!

Who are these two players you are referring to? Sargent was their leading scorer, he played. Wolters is their 2nd leading scorer, he played.

To me it comes down to progress. I believe there will be real disearnable progress with this team from game 1 to game 31. I couldn't say that last year.
Yes, I enjoyed the game yesterday(except the score) it was much better watch than last year by far.

To me it comes down to progress. I believe there will be real disearnable progress with this team from game 1 to game 31. I couldn't say that last year.
Yes, I enjoyed the game yesterday(except the score) it was much better watch than last year by far.
I agree about last year. About 3/4 through the team actually regressed.

Who are these two players you are referring to? Sargent was their leading scorer, he played. Wolters is their 2nd leading scorer, he played.

Spank...I agreed with the original poster's comments because (I'm pretty sure) I heard Dolph mention it on my ride in to the stadium before the game.

Then again, I'm old and decrepit and I might have mis-heard the comments. :cool:

Cully looked sluggish to me. He needs to be the player who put up 25 vs Michigan last year. I had Iowa picked to win 13 games,but that included beating ISU,UNI,SDSt,and Drake......not feeling very good about that pick now. It could be a wipeout year....but we knew it would be bad,so not the end of the world. But,must recruit for next year,must have a big jump next year,when the league loses 20+ upperclassmen. MUST get some good big men in fast...and a pg would help also.

They played a game already. I don't know if that means much but take it for what its worth.

Last year's team was like the American Indians... they were here, but you knew eventually they would lose everything... they may have had the heart, the courage... but they also had the booze and not enough weapons.
It wasn't fun to watch.

This year's team is like modern day terrorists... they choose to run and hope to explode on someone. The thing is... the Indians never had a chance. Terrorists have yet to evolve to a reasonable war fighting team, but could... Same as Hawkeye basketball.

Iowa Basketball is Asymmetric Basketball at its finest example.
Asymmetric warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spank...I agreed with the original poster's comments because (I'm pretty sure) I heard Dolph mention it on my ride in to the stadium before the game.

Then again, I'm old and decrepit and I might have mis-heard the comments. :cool:
You are old, Seth. For sure. REAALLLY OLD. ;)

Latest posts