Was Oregon really that athletic?

I have brought it up before but there used to be conception with bball coaches that players shouldn't lift weights alot. I feel like Fran still believes that.

I have brought it up before but there used to be conception with bball coaches that players shouldn't lift weights alot. I feel like Fran still believes that.

Dunno man... Patrick looks a lot more beefier than last year... Garza has put on muscle every year. Wiescamp also.. but still needs more.

Dunno man... Patrick looks a lot more beefier than last year... Garza has put on muscle every year. Wiescamp also.. but still needs more.
May be right, just seems like every year other teams are just getting more and more ripped. Seems especially prevalent at the guard spots. It might just be a symptom of the types of players Fran recruits.

I think Oregon was the fastest team in the dance this year and then factor in we had an early start and that is a recipe for disaster!!

I think it was a perfect storm for our defeat. Oregon was the ONLY team that got a bye in the first round. Maybe VCU gives them a tough, draining game or actually beats them. We played the last game on Saturday and then the first game on Monday. CJ, JBo, Cmac and JW all nursing nagging injuries. Not saying that the Ducks weren't the better team, They certainly were that morning, but if a few things had been different, the outcome might have been as well.

Even with the added weight and muscle the team put on, we still look like boys playing against men in some of our games.

Oregon is just better. Play a 5 game series, Oregon wins 3-1, maybe 3-2 if CJ and Conner are healthy. You need JW to give you 25+ to complement Garza and I don't think you get that on a consistent basis for Iowa to win.

Last edited:
Against Oregon, Iowa could have really benefited from Nunge being able to play. Garza and Nunge on the floor at the same time could have made the rebounding better, but he wasn't available. In hindsight the bye that Oregon had really was an advantage. Knowing who you were going to play expedited the prep time available to Oregon's advantage.

I watched some of the Oregon game with USC. The USC height advantage really stood out. Oregon was out rebounded and their shooting % dropped off a lot. The fact USC had played Oregon before showed up as well. USC used a lot of zone and was able to keep Oregon out of the paint. Iowa's defensive effort wasn't good I will admit, but how much team health and less rest played a part in the loss to Oregon can't be discounted completely.

Against Oregon, Iowa could have really benefited from Nunge being able to play. Garza and Nunge on the floor at the same time could have made the rebounding better, but he wasn't available. In hindsight the bye that Oregon had really was an advantage. Knowing who you were going to play expedited the prep time available to Oregon's advantage.

I watched some of the Oregon game with USC. The USC height advantage really stood out. Oregon was out rebounded and their shooting % dropped off a lot. The fact USC had played Oregon before showed up as well. USC used a lot of zone and was able to keep Oregon out of the paint. Iowa's defensive effort wasn't good I will admit, but how much team health and less rest played a part in the loss to Oregon can't be discounted completely.
Totally agree about the rest issue. I didn’t think it would be that significant but you could just tell that We looked sluggish compared to Oregon. We also didn’t get the advantage to watch them in action to see their style of play. Yes, maybe we had films to look at but watching them play a couple of night before would have given us an advantage in preparation, plus they would have played a latter game and would have been even more affected from fatigue instead of being fresh. Damn Covid rears it’s ugly head once again.

I think it was a perfect storm for our defeat. Oregon was the ONLY team that got a bye in the first round. Maybe VCU gives them a tough, draining game or actually beats them. We played the last game on Saturday and then the first game on Monday. CJ, JBo, Cmac and JW all nursing nagging injuries. Not saying that the Ducks weren't the better team, They certainly were that morning, but if a few things had been different, the outcome might have been as well.
This times 1000%. The fact the Ducks didn't have to play a game against a good VCU team is huge, yet no one mentions it. Couple that with the fact that the game was also the first of the day, so little rest for Iowa does not help. Fresher legs = quicker and better shooting.

This times 1000%. The fact the Ducks didn't have to play a game against a good VCU team is huge, yet no one mentions it. Couple that with the fact that the game was also the first of the day, so little rest for Iowa does not help. Fresher legs = quicker and better shooting.

I was screaming about this once the news broke that VCU couldn't play. But most on here kept telling me that Oregon not playing a first round game was an advantage for Iowa that Oregon would be rusty. Not having to play just 40 hours before was a HUGE advantage for Oregon and you really seen the effects on that in the 2nd half. Oregon hardly had to rest their starters at all.

all these games show it's all about match-ups when it's a one and done situation.
If Iowa had played say Loyola and Illinois played Oregon, both Big10 teams probably advance.
Fla St and Alabama want to press, quick 3 & off reb and they get matched v. teams that control long possessions and don't turn it over v. pressure.

Also amazed at how how many poor FT shooting players and teams there are....
"Get up more shots" v. teach correct form and change what doesn't work - ugh

my point is that they we played other teams that were faster than us and did a lot better.

I would argue that we didn’t. Faster, more athletic was a very bad combination for Iowa. Iowa was a combined 0-5 and lost by an average of almost 13 points per game, against those teams that fit that description:)...

I would argue that we didn’t. Faster, more athletic was a very bad combination for Iowa. Iowa was a combined 0-5 and lost by an average of almost 13 points per game, against those teams that fit that description:)...
Penn state... a lot faster than us.. similar style to oregon... we won 2. Ohio state - pretty fast at guard in a few spots...we won 3. Michigan state.. like always has a bunch of fast guards we won....heck even shitty ISU is mostly smaller, faster players.
Are you putting gonzaga in that category? because not really.. gonzaga has a couple fast guys.. but zaga is big and strong so that does not fit very well.

Illinois yeah.. they are all speed besides one guy.

So yeah not agreeing with you on that conclusion sorry.

Latest posts