Was Oregon really that athletic?

Bigtenchamp

A popular narrative is that we couldn't compete with them because they were too fast.... however after thinking about that yesterday.

Not really buying that one completely.

Penn state in my mind is just as fast.... illinois is just as fast... Ohio state has some fast players... Maryland and Rutgers remind me a lot of Oregon in various ways.

I think the teams effort on defense was shit. I thought it was shit against GVC as well. Yes we have a lack of speed against our opponents in some spots, but that was the case a lot of the year and we had a really good stretch of defense.

I can not understand how with everything on the line they came out and played so lackluster on D

I think you have to give Oregon credit. They shot the ball extremely well and executed their game plan pretty well. They have size and quickness and were able to shut out Jbo, CJ, and CMac. Garza got his, Joe W. had a pretty good 1st half, but that was about it. Defense was struggling from the get go. I really didn't think it was an effort problem, but it can look like that when a guy blows by you or we are out of position. Oregon moved the ball, hit shots from everywhere and it got away from us quickly. It happens. Reminds me of Hawks crushing Ohio St. in football a couple of years ago. We were hitting on all cylinders and throttled a really good Ohio St. team. No one saw that coming either.

Yes Oregon was that fast. They were so fast, they tore Connor's legs apart trying to keep up with them...or whatever the hell the two things he torn.

PAC-10 Speed. LOL

But, I think it was combination of a considerable lack of overall team speed from Iowa in combination with poor defensive continuity out of the team. Iowa regressed back to bad habits and even worse than that with zero help in the paint when the guards were getting beat off the dribble for a duck (dunk) fest.

Oregon could not miss, but did not help we left them so wide open time and time again.

Seriously ??? That was/is one extremely good and talented team, every man on the floor for them was faster and quicker than our guys ... and taller , Luka had his height advantage , JW was the same height but slower , the rest of the guys giving up 3 to 5 inches , add to that , that they had 5 starters that could make shots from anywhere was bound to make our defense look suspect

Instead of ragging on our team and coaches , for once lets give the opposition credit , they had a lot to do with our inefficiencies

Seriously ??? That was/is one extremely good and talented team, every man on the floor for them was faster and quicker than our guys ... and taller , Luka had his height advantage , JW was the same height but slower , the rest of the guys giving up 3 to 5 inches , add to that , that they had 5 starters that could make shots from anywhere was bound to make our defense look suspect

Instead of ragging on our team and coaches , for once lets give the opposition credit , they had a lot to do with our inefficiencies

Maybe, but the problem is that we've see this story all too often over the years. It's a pattern. Iowa lost to Baylor in the NIT championship and Baylor scored over 100 pts. I believe the last time Iowa played Oregon, they scored over 100 pts on us. Iowa has continually given up over 85 pt's to lower ranked or teams from a lower ranked conference.

It is an issue of not putting emphasis on defense and not having the overall team speed at the guard position to defend well. Before this year I didn't really acknowledge the lack of overall team speed, but I believe it now. I actually realized it before the Oregon game when I was watching other teams. I thought, boy "Iowa doesn't play like that or have that". It's noticeable.

No. A lot of teams out there like them. Iowa is not one. What goes on in basketball strength and conditioning at Iowa anyway? Walk in the weight room and eat powdered donuts? Our guys are not built nor in shape like they should be (Luka excepted). No foot speed. Those are things you can at least work on and get better at, even if you aren't a top notch athlete you can at least put in the work to get 'hard nosed'. Doyle them up for peats sake.

my point is that they we played other teams that were faster than us and did a lot better.

When you have guards that have defensive issues with both, 1) closing out on 3 pt shooters and 2) keeping a player in front of you not getting beat on the dribble, its a problem. A player should be able to take away at least one of those offensive attributes. When you have guards that cannot take away either, it's a huge problem.

Add to that the lower extremity and hip injuries to multiple players. Not a good situation. I acknowledge the injuries but this has been a recurring issue.

Did you read what you wrote before you posted this? Because you seem to be acknowledging what some of us on here are saying. We’ve had many games like this before, where every other opposing player is faster, quicker and stronger.

It’s up to the coaches to remedy that. Find the players who’ll more readily be prepared to do battle in the B1G — to stop drives, to defend the perimeter, to work through screens or block outs to stop passes or get to rebounds.

We see this lack of physicality nearly every year with Fran McCaffrey coached teams.

To not have a strong supporting cast in the other four positions was a huge waste of Luka Garza’s talents this year.

Yes Oregon was that fast. They were so fast, they tore Connor's legs apart trying to keep up with them...or whatever the hell the two things he torn.

PAC-10 Speed. LOL

But, I think it was combination of a considerable lack of overall team speed from Iowa in combination with poor defensive continuity out of the team. Iowa regressed back to bad habits and even worse than that with zero help in the paint when the guards were getting beat off the dribble for a duck (dunk) fest.

Oregon could not miss, but did not help we left them so wide open time and time again.
I think Connor's hips have been bothering him a good part of the year. Knowing this it now makes sense how Marcus Carr was able to hit two killer threes over him to get that game into OT, and how Brandon Johnson was able to zing him some more.

Maybe, but the problem is that we've see this story all too often over the years. It's a pattern. Iowa lost to Baylor in the NIT championship and Baylor scored over 100 pts. I believe the last time Iowa played Oregon, they scored over 100 pts on us. Iowa has continually given up over 85 pt's to lower ranked or teams from a lower ranked conference.

It is an issue of not putting emphasis on defense and not having the overall team speed at the guard position to defend well. Before this year I didn't really acknowledge the lack of overall team speed, but I believe it now. I actually realized it before the Oregon game when I was watching other teams. I thought, boy "Iowa doesn't play like that or have that". It's noticeable.

Agreed on defense.

The last time Iowa played Oregon, Iowa won 77-69 in Madison Square Garden in November 2018. Starting lineup = Bohannon, Moss, Wieskamp, Cook, and Garza.
Kriener, Baer, Connor, and Dailey off the bench.

Agreed on defense.

The last time Iowa played Oregon, Iowa won 77-69 in Madison Square Garden in November 2018. Starting lineup = Bohannon, Moss, Wieskamp, Cook, and Garza.
Kriener, Baer, Connor, and Dailey off the bench.

wow.. i only see one guy from that team that played this year....for oregon

wow.. i only see one guy from that team that played this year....for oregon

Oregon had ...

Bol Bol - NBA (Nuggets) 7'2" Center
Peyton Pritchard - NBA (Celtics) PG
Kenny Wooten - NBA (had some 2 way contracts with the Knicks) 6'8"
Ehab Amin - playing in Egypt (6'4")
Paul White - played in G League this year (6'9" PF)
Louis King - didn't play vs Iowa ... NBA player
Will Richardson - still on the team

They went 25-13. They made the Sweet 16 (Beat Wisconsin in Round 1) and lost to eventual champ Virginia. Did most of that after Bol Bol was injured. Not bad ...

What got me was how almost all theirr starters played the entire game and seemed fresh to the end. I question the BB strength and conditioning. With the exception of JoeT and Perkins,Luka,everyone looks soft. Little change form Fr to upperclass in their bodes except for added weight.

Give me a healthy Fredrick, Connor, and Wiesy and I think Iowa hangs around with Oregon. I also think Oregon got a huge advantage by playing Iowa after a bye with Iowa having played just 40 hours ago. Give Oregon credit, they shot the ball incredibly well and used their advantage.
Agreed about the injuries. Also, if the 2 teams have average shooting days, Iowa wins. So the athleticism isn't what won, even though they were more athletic, it wasn't the only difference.