Wanna Stop Flopping In College Football?

For all injury time outs, the injured player should be required to sit out until a change of possession regardless of time on the clock.
I still think that’s too ambiguous. A change of possession could happen the very next play and then that player is eligible again. That’s not enough time to make it hurt, imo.

I said 12 snaps on whatever unti the player plays on, offense or defense, and I think that’s fair. That’s 15% of his snaps in an average game. Doesn’t put the guy out of a game, but it makes a coach think about flopping.

I also think there have to be severe repercussions when it happens in the last few minutes of a half. As long as the rule is the same for both teams, it’s fair. There are tons of tough breaks in the game of football. The sport needs something to keep teams honest and that would do it.

I still think that’s too ambiguous. A change of possession could happen the very next play and then that player is eligible again. That’s not enough time to make it hurt, imo.

It doesn’t need to hurt, if a change of possession occurs the next play that means the other team scored or there was a turnover. It’s still enough to discourage a coach from using it as they cannot predict the future. I think your punishment is way to harsh and not necessary. Imagine a team being forced to sit a QB for 15 snaps just because he got the wind knocked out of him, no QB flops.

Under 2 minutes I like the NFL rule, a timeout or 10 second run off or delay of game penalty.

It doesn’t need to hurt, if a change of possession occurs the next play that means the other team scored or there was a turnover. It’s still enough to discourage a coach from using it as they cannot predict the future. I think your punishment is way to harsh and not necessary. Imagine a team being forced to sit a QB for 15 snaps just because he got the wind knocked out of him, no QB flops.

Under 2 minutes I like the NFL rule, a timeout or 10 second run off or delay of game penalty.
12 snaps ;)

That part is debatable.

Where I think it really has to be prevented is with less than 4-5 minutes in the half. The punishment for doing it has to be severe enough to negate it completely and if that dings a team for a legit injury, thems the breaks. Both teams would be on equal footing.

12 snaps ;)

That part is debatable.

Where I think it really has to be prevented is with less than 4-5 minutes in the half. The punishment for doing it has to be severe enough to negate it completely and if that dings a team for a legit injury, thems the breaks. Both teams would be on equal footing.

Sorry, I mistyped.

Another point to make it change of possession is what if it's the punter or the place kicker that got dinged up? Granted it is rare but it does happen, those types of players don't typically flop except when a punter is trying to draw a penalty and they don't typically stay down long enough to stop the game. Using change of possession means those type of players don't need special rules or get "punished".

Again I don't see this as a huge issue, flopping rarely comes up. Start with a small slap on the wrist and go from there.

Injured player should be out for the series for eval, if ref determines its a flop make it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty automatic 1st down and done. I dont see the penalty coming into play often as you need to take every injury serious and often difficult to tell. Ie if it happened under other circumstances we would have thought moss injury was fake. The sitting out the series for eval falls in line with player safety and would probably take care of most.

Injured player should be out for the series for eval, if ref determines its a flop make it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty automatic 1st down and done. I dont see the penalty coming into play often as you need to take every injury serious and often difficult to tell. Ie if it happened under other circumstances we would have thought moss injury was fake. The sitting out the series for eval falls in line with player safety and would probably take care of most.
Moss’s injury wouldn’t have stopped play, though. It caused a change of possession and there would’ve been a tv timeout anyway.

When 17 fell down like he took a bullet to the spine it was after a big run and first down.

Thats why i said under other circumstances. I was refering more to how Moss seemed fine after the play and then just went to the ground for no noticeable reason, which is why i said i dont see the penalty getting called often. Might be more of a team penalty. You have multiple players go down over the course of a game only to come back after a play, then the penalty gets called on the team and not the individual.
Moss’s injury wouldn’t have stopped play, though. It caused a change of possession and there would’ve been a tv timeout anyway.

When 17 fell down like he took a bullet to the spine it was after a big run and first

He invented the modern method of high jumping. People named it the Fosbury Flop

Yea I did Google it. That is quite the story and history. It's hard to believe that he revolutionized the high jump technique just a few years before I was born. That is the technique I always knew growing up.

F, now I have to Google Dick Fosbury.

Thanks Northside.
He's the lead singer of a nineties grunge band......

What is it with Oregon and track and field athletes? Fosbury was from Oregon, Steve Prefontaine, Phil Knight and Bill Bowerman used Eugene as their platform to launch the NIKE empire. They are to track and field as Clarksdale Mississippi was to blues music.