Virginia

LOL when you have no stats to back up your position move on to buzzwords with undefineable meanings. Classic troll move there.

Herky and Fan, who are the trolls. Troll often call people troll that disagree. I provided stats and you ignored. The bottom line is we are much better than in the past and may get better yet. The verdict is not in. Fact is that we have only 1 really credible decent win and that against a team that also plays scrum and just got pummeled on the road.

I can't change things and hopium won't either. I suggest you offer more intelligent posts than name calling and saying something not true. Where is the correlation between being in the top teams on 3 pt defense and winning?

I can't argue what my eyes see either. Iowa has some of the worst post moves I have ever seen in college basketball. There is not stat on that but is very obvious, just like closing out shooters. Awful.

We are scrappy. We are really good at getting to the line. We are really good at free throws.

May is one of the most solid players on fundamentals in the B1G which is why he does pretty well for his athleticness. He doesn't have a lot of company on the team though. Marble has really improved. But the perimeter close out and post fundamentals are very poorly graded.

My answers....1: Scrum 2. Ever played or coached against a team that can't shoot well. It catches.

The defense and offense are symptoms. The problem is consistency which is the symptom of very poor fundamentals.

Iowa is 3rd in the B1G in scoring average (conference games only) despite being the worst shooting team in the conference. They also have the highest adjusted tempo rating of any B1G school (yes, higher than Indiana even). So explain to me again this scrum concept of yours.

Iowa is 3rd in the B1G in scoring average (conference games only) despite being the worst shooting team in the conference. They also have the highest adjusted tempo rating of any B1G school (yes, higher than Indiana even). So explain to me again this scrum concept of yours.

We scrum in the 1/2 court. I left out fast break O as a positive. Then again we also get countered hard. Take away a wounded MN and a poor NW beat down..... add in close games...you have it.

Herky and Fan, who are the trolls. Troll often call people troll that disagree. I provided stats and you ignored. The bottom line is we are much better than in the past and may get better yet. The verdict is not in. Fact is that we have only 1 really credible decent win and that against a team that also plays scrum and just got pummeled on the road.

I can't change things and hopium won't either. I suggest you offer more intelligent posts than name calling and saying something not true. Where is the correlation between being in the top teams on 3 pt defense and winning?

I can't argue what my eyes see either. Iowa has some of the worst post moves I have ever seen in college basketball. There is not stat on that but is very obvious, just like closing out shooters. Awful.

We are scrappy. We are really good at getting to the line. We are really good at free throws.

May is one of the most solid players on fundamentals in the B1G which is why he does pretty well for his athleticness. He doesn't have a lot of company on the team though. Marble has really improved. But the perimeter close out and post fundamentals are very poorly graded.

The truth is the opposite of this. You know that, right?

Being terrific at 3pt defense is a component at being good in overall defense, Iowa is 5th in 3pt FG% and 20th in overall defensive efficiency. The teams ahead of Iowa in overall defense:

Louisville, Florida, Wisconsin, Stephen F Austin, Georgetown, Michigan St, New Mexico, Oklahoma St, Pitt
Syracuse, OSU, MTSU, Cincy, UNLV, Oregon, Indiana, Miami (FL)

Pretty good teams, and here's further correlation of defensive ranking to wining.

Best Way to Pick Final Four Teams? Look at Ken Pomeroy’s Defensive Efficiency Numbers | The Big Lead

So once again, there you go, there's actual stats proving your wrong, your eye test has proven to be terrible time and time again. Illinois spent most of the game passing the ball back and forth on the perimeter before jacking up contested 3's or deep 2's, the fact that you think they were consistently getting good looks is the lane is something only a troll would have seen from that game.

Being terrific at 3pt defense is a component at being good in overall defense, Iowa is 5th in 3pt FG% and 20th in overall defensive efficiency. The teams ahead of Iowa in overall defense:

Louisville, Florida, Wisconsin, Stephen F Austin, Georgetown, Michigan St, New Mexico, Oklahoma St, Pitt
Syracuse, OSU, MTSU, Cincy, UNLV, Oregon, Indiana, Miami (FL)

Pretty good teams, and here's further correlation of defensive ranking to wining.

Best Way to Pick Final Four Teams? Look at Ken Pomeroy’s Defensive Efficiency Numbers | The Big Lead

So once again, there you go, there's actual stats proving your wrong, your eye test has proven to be terrible time and time again. Illinois spent most of the game passing the ball back and forth on the perimeter before jacking up contested 3's or deep 2's, the fact that you think they were consistently getting good looks is the lane is something only a troll would have seen from that game.

you are changing the argument.

Wow. ILHawk, I've never noticed you before.

I certainly have now. Your impressions of our team are consistently the opposite of the truth.

Anyone who argues that we are a poor interior and exterior defensive team who has a "1/2 court scrum" offense, and whose most athletic player "does pretty well" because of his fundamentals is just frighteningly unaware.

Mindbogglingly impressive.

No, he's actually quite solid on many of the minor things.

Minor things like DRIBBLING...and...SHOOTING...and PASSING????

I love Eric May, but he makes his hay with his athleticism, his brain and his hustle. Not his fundamentals.

No, you're thinking of our two best players, Marble and White. Neither great athletes, but who thrive in their fundamentals (especially Marble, who does everything well and nothing great).

The argument was about 3 point shooting.

Anyway I think we can agree that it is nice to be arguing about Iowa basketball at this stage rather than being down and thinking next year already. I love the scrappiness and how we don't become the fast-breaking bad gers.

We have further to go than many think.

It strikes me Fran is building a mid major rather than a B1G annual power. My evidence is in how he uses JO. Awful fundamentals but if he gets tired and on adrenalin....watch out. Saw a glimpse the other night.

I can have my opinion and you can disagree. Try being nicer about differences of opinion. In the end we won't know what 3 years look like from this vantage point. Groce is doing the same thing and I watched Weber do it for years. Self and Kruger do it right. Groce is actually recruiting some really good players though so that will be interesting. Lick wasn't a typical mid major coach as he was so conservative and road coat tails. Alford was just young and had a lot to learn.

Minor things like DRIBBLING...and...SHOOTING...and PASSING????

I love Eric May, but he makes his hay with his athleticism, his brain and his hustle. Not his fundamentals.

No, you're thinking of our two best players, Marble and White. Neither great athletes, but who thrive in their fundamentals (especially Marble, who does everything well and nothing great).

You aren't watching the little things about May. He's the only one who does it. White stabs at the ball, has awful foot movement and can't post. Where am I wrong? I'm not. Marble has really improved, but he could not go weak hand at all last year. By the end of next year he will be really good.

You aren't watching the little things about May. He's the only one who does it. White stabs at the ball, has awful foot movement and can't post. Where am I wrong? I'm not. Marble has really improved, but he could not go weak hand at all last year. By the end of next year he will be really good.

What's "it"?!? So, he does one thing well and he's now a fundamentals puba?

Eric May is an athletic freak. End of story.

The argument was about 3 point shooting.

Anyway I think we can agree that it is nice to be arguing about Iowa basketball at this stage rather than being down and thinking next year already. I love the scrappiness and how we don't become the fast-breaking bad gers.

We have further to go than many think.

It strikes me Fran is building a mid major rather than a B1G annual power. My evidence is in how he uses JO. Awful fundamentals but if he gets tired and on adrenalin....watch out. Saw a glimpse the other night.

I can have my opinion and you can disagree. Try being nicer about differences of opinion. In the end we won't know what 3 years look like from this vantage point. Groce is doing the same thing and I watched Weber do it for years. Self and Kruger do it right. Groce is actually recruiting some really good players though so that will be interesting. Lick wasn't a typical mid major coach as he was so conservative and road coat tails. Alford was just young and had a lot to learn.

I think we're about done here, this is no longer entertaining. You're obviously an Illini troll. You're arguments are played out and so obviously wrong that it's no longer even worth debating.

Gorce sucks as a coach, he had an absolutely terrible game plan for the Iowa game. Iowa is going to finish above Illinois in the B10 standings for the second straight year and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sorry I wasn't nicer, but I don't have time to be nice to idiots or trolls, of which you most certainly fall into one and probably both of those categoriers.

So it was fun - but time for me to hit the ignore button on you now.

What's "it"?!? So, he does one thing well and he's now a fundamentals puba?

Eric May is an athletic freak. End of story.

He gets a lot out of what he has by doing footwork, closeouts and positioning quite well. Much better than others.

I think we're about done here, this is no longer entertaining. You're obviously an Illini troll. You're arguments are played out and so obviously wrong that it's no longer even worth debating.

Gorce sucks as a coach, he had an absolutely terrible game plan for the Iowa game. Iowa is going to finish above Illinois in the B10 standings for the second straight year and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sorry I wasn't nicer, but I don't have time to be nice to idiots or trolls, of which you most certainly fall into one and probably both of those categoriers.

So it was fun - but time for me to hit the ignore button on you now.

Groce is a terrible coach. He has recruited quite well which I don't understand.

You are more than welcome to ignore me.

Hawk33 and Iowa basketball - similarity with North Korea: http://www.businessinsider.com/kim-jong-un-visits-troops-2013-3

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilhawk actually does a pretty good job. He keeps you reeled in with just enough backhanded complements to make you think he may actually be a hawk fan. Problem is he gave himself away.

For every situation he finds the most negative way to look at it. He says we have one good win but it was against a team that plays scrum and got blown out the last game. A real hawk fan might say our best win was a team that almost won the big 10 and beat Indiana.

I do the same thing with Iowa state and Wisconsin because I feel the same way about them as he feels about the hawks.

Ilhawk actually does a pretty good job. He keeps you reeled in with just enough backhanded complements to make you think he may actually be a hawk fan. Problem is he gave himself away.

For every situation he finds the most negative way to look at it. He says we have one good win but it was against a team that plays scrum and got blown out the last game. A real hawk fan might say our best win was a team that almost won the big 10 and beat Indiana.

I do the same thing with Iowa state and Wisconsin because I feel the same way about them as he feels about the hawks.

You really don't know what you are talking about. A forum is for analysis. Been around the block enough times to not get excited about some things and around enough to get excited about some things. My coaching philosophy has always been about fundamentals and a terrific defense. Those are 2 areas that I don't think we've been successful at yet in a true fundamental view of it and may be the weak spot of fran's tenure. That doesn't make me a fan of any other team. I actually don't remember complementing you pc.

I do view things analytically. I dare you to watch Iowa's foot work, closing out, and posting work coming up. Count how many times white and woody swipe at the ball. Not being impressed by blocks isn't so bad. The coach in me says....why were you in that position in the first place....deny the inside pass. Don't give the shooter room to come down. We are good at allowing both.

Latest posts