VIDEO: Melvin Gordon Soph & Junior Highlights

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
JUNIOR

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3fELBTBKs[/ame]

SOPH

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFPS8MQyZ8[/ame]

He's a long-stepper and it doesn't take him long to hit full stride. On a side note I like the Led Zep remix.

Impressive looking athlete. Great speed, acceleration, and agility. He looked very elusive in the open field. Looks like he needs some coaching on running style, he runs like a WR right now. Let him fill out, develop some body lean, and he could real good. He also has the look of a great KR/PR, kind of reminds me of DJK in his film.

It looks like it takes him a bit to get going...however, he keeps his head up, looking for daylight, so this could be patience. His ankles are real impressive...on the first video, go to the 3:50 mark and notice the two lateral cuts he makes inside five yards...very impressive...good balace and good vision. He is tough to bring down on first contact, too...

Yeah, I see a receiver as well. Looks like a darn good one nonetheless.

Been a long time since I have seen a long striding college back. Kind of throw back like Robert Smith, Ricky Waters, Marcus Allen, Eric Dickerson, etc.

There is a lot to like in the videos, but him running in that offense makes me a little nervous. It may be a tough transition for him initially to Iowa's zone scheme. He certainly does show some pretty good vision though so it may not be an issue. If he camped well it probably doesn't matter at all.

There is a lot to like in the videos, but him running in that offense makes me a little nervous. It may be a tough transition for him initially to Iowa's zone scheme. He certainly does show some pretty good vision though so it may not be an issue. If he camped well it probably doesn't matter at all.

The good news is that Iowa 'shouldn't' have a great need for a true frosh to have to play next year.

I'd say that running in Iowas scheme would be a change for him but he can do it. IMO he is too good in open space to not point him towards WR. He does an above average job at avoiding the tackles in open space and that seems to be very natural for him. Let soup refine him and we'll have a real good one.

He reminds me of a lot of HS running backs. Always looking to bounce the ball outside. I didnt see him run between the tackles much, in those videos.
He has all the tools to be a good college RB.

He reminds me of a lot of HS running backs. Always looking to bounce the ball outside. I didnt see him run between the tackles much, in those videos.
He has all the tools to be a good college RB.

There were not many one back, I sets between the tackles. He did take some inside handoffs on the crossbuck action in that offense.

Very impressive. He must have had an insane game against that blue and yellow team. Most important thing I noticed: that Junior video has plenty of cowbell.:)
-Greg

It looks like it takes him a bit to get going...however, he keeps his head up, looking for daylight, so this could be patience. His ankles are real impressive...on the first video, go to the 3:50 mark and notice the two lateral cuts he makes inside five yards...very impressive...good balace and good vision. He is tough to bring down on first contact, too...

Wow.

Don't be nervous about the system that Gordon plays in. If memory serves me correctly, Jewel Hampton played in a similar type of system in HS. He seemed to transition himself fairly well.

There were not many one back, I sets between the tackles. He did take some inside handoffs on the crossbuck action in that offense.

exactly. it appears that they are running an offense very similar to an illinois-style offense. they aren't running a between the tackles running set.

I was thinking he reminded me a bit of Darren McFadden, then I went back and watched some of McFadden's college highlights. I forgot how fast he got his legs churning. Same kind of long stride and straight up style. McFadden just had the legs rotating way faster.

However, on a couple of the clips for Gordon, he gets his feet down quicker. It might be that he just needs a little coaching in this area. It would improve his quickness.

However, if he wants to be a receiver the longer stride is good.

The more I see, the more I like.

It's easy to see what the Hawk coaches like in him. The coaches LOVE versatile guys ... and Gordon is a guy who is tough (he typically doesn't go down due to initial contact), he has nice speed, and he can both run AND catch the ball.

The coaches will undoubtedly tap into his full skill set ... AT RB.

I'll be really surprised if Gordon ends up at a position other than RB at Iowa.

I'm assuming Coe won't come here now that we have our RB commit. :(

I highly doubt these kids are scared of a little competition. Everywhere they go there will be good RB's. I'd love Gordon, Miller, and Coe. They are all high-end explosive athletes. Let them figure out whose best at RB and whose athleticism might be best suited for another position. I'd imagine we are recruiting at least 2 RB's anyways.

Latest posts