Very Good Texas, Big Ten Expansion article

Thanks for the article--great read. Best nugget of truth from the article:

"With $8 billion of R&D expenditures between seventeen universities (counting the University of Chicago), the new CIC could embark on a campaign to grow its collective market share of federal R&D investments in a manner that will make TV revenues a mere cherry on top of a very satisfying sundae. That, my friends, is how a university president can change the world as we know it."

It's about the money--but not the TV money.

And this is just hillarious:

I would expect Oklahoma to seek an invitation to join its perfect match, the SEC, along with its little brother, Oklahoma State. Upon their acceptance, the NCAA will place the entire SEC on double-secret probation and the SEC will retain a slight edge over the Big 10 with the size of its TV deal.

The folks over in Ames have to be wetting their pants right now at the thought of Texas, A&M, and Missouri going to the Big Ten, Colorado going to the Pac 10, Oklahoma & Okie State going to the SEC.

We HAVE to play Wisky!

I don't care about OSU because we can't beat them anyway...:(

Last edited:
The folks over in Ames have to be wetting their pants right now at the thought of Texas, A&M, and Missouri going to the Big Ten, Colorado going to the Pac 10, Oklahoma & Okie State going to the SEC.

What happens to Kansas basketball and Nebraska football if this scenario were to occur? Two of the most storied programs in their sport would be left either trying to join a conference they had no geographical connection to, or dropping down and joining a second tier conference.

What happens to Kansas basketball and Nebraska football if this scenario were to occur? Two of the most storied programs in their sport would be left either trying to join a conference they had no geographical connection to, or dropping down and joining a second tier conference.

Kansas basketball is great. But in 07-08 it brought in close to $15 mil in revenues. Iowa hoops brought in close to 11 mil in 2005. Iowa football in 2008 brought in close to 40 mil. Iowa football doesn't have the history that KU hoops does but it dwarfs it in revenues. KU football during their Orange Bowl season probly topped KU hoops in revenues

now the branding and reputation aspects that come from KU hoops is immense

Basketball is not the revenue bell cow football is, even at Kansas

All I have to say is YUCK!

I will freak completely out if that happens and the teams are realligned like this guy talks. It's like Iowa joining the Big XII.

The mere idea is revolting.

Exactly what I was wondering, and my thought, "Good riddance!" I would love to see the confused, crushed look on faces throughout the state of Nebraska.

That being said, I don't feel there will be that significant of change all at once. There will be some expanding and reshuffling, but nothing as drastic as 4 superconferences of 16 teams. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

But with all this Texas speculation, who here will be satisfied with anything less than a homerun like TX or ND?

The mere idea is revolting.

Ah, but sometimes a catharsis is needed. Paraphrasing Mussolini, sometimes you need to spill a little blood to bring in a new era of peace and prosperity.

Right now we live under the BCS system. Just think how 14-team Big Ten, Pac 10, and SEC superconferences will shake that up. And thank God for that upcoming shake-up.

Now we are sitting on the powder-keg. We have alliances like Europe in 1914, and we're just waiting for Gavrilo Princip to shoot Archduke Franz Ferdinand as he parades through the streets of Sarajevo. That is, we're waiting for the Pac 10 to take Colorado so that the realignment can begin.

Or better yet, we're waiting for the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact so that Hitler can invade Poland. That is, we're waiting for Texas to join the Big Ten so that the Big Ten Network and the CIC can invade the money, recruiting, etc. of Texas.

I'm just happy that we're in the Big Ten, because however this shakes out, we're going to come out as a superpower. We are going to be part of NATO after WWII. I would be crapping my pants if I was Iowa State. Iowa State is Bulgaria. Good luck with whatever Warsaw Pact you're going to get stuck with, Cyclones.

Last edited:
I'm just happy that we're in the Big Ten, because however this shakes out, we're going to come out as a superpower. We are going to be part of NATO after WWII. I would be crapping my pants if I was Iowa State. Iowa State is Bulgaria. Good luck with whatever Warsaw Pact you're going to get stuck with, Cyclones.

Yes, but what might turn out to be good for the Big Ten might not necc be good for Iowa.

Yes, but what might turn out to be good for the Big Ten might not necc be good for Iowa.

What's not good?

Let's say Texas is in our division, maybe A&M also. So we play them every year--so what? Right now we play tOSU and PSU about every year. I would have loved to see Iowa play Texas this year--our defense could have stopped them. Teams get better and worse. Look at PSU when they joined the Big Ten, and their roller coaster ride since they joined.

Worst case is that the Big Ten has to take Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. No problem there getting some wins with any of those (except in basketball).

I see only upsides. How could it not be good to be able to recruit in Texas?

What's not good?

Let's say Texas is in our division, maybe A&M also. So we play them every year--so what? Right now we play tOSU and PSU about every year. I would have loved to see Iowa play Texas this year--our defense could have stopped them. Teams get better and worse. Look at PSU when they joined the Big Ten, and their roller coaster ride since they joined.

Worst case is that the Big Ten has to take Missouri, Nebraska, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. No problem there getting some wins with any of those (except in basketball).

I see only upsides. How could it not be good to be able to recruit in Texas?

I am not sure that Iowa would see a big uptick in how many kids its able to pull out of Texas. I guess there would certainly be more exposure for Iowa in Texas due to playing them, but Texas gets who Texas wants, and Texas A&M likely would come with them and that school will pull down a good number of Texas kids...and other Big Ten schools will probably be in there more than they are. Not sure that it would be any boon for Iowa.

BTW, Texas pulled in 10 commits for their Class of 2011 last weekend at a junior day...all Texas kids...they have 13 verbals so far. Unreal

Having Texas come on board is like dancing with the devil. The Big 8 already had that problem when the four Texas schools came in.

Next thing you knew league offices were in Dallas, not Kansas City. Basketball and Football championship game rotate with a south city. Big rivalry becomes Texas-Oklahoma, not Oklahoma-Nebraska.

There are more people that live in Texas than just about all of the Big Ten states combined. I think the unintended (and unwanted) political effects will be felt as well.

We haven't really been recruiting Texas that heavily anyway.

If anything it will give those kids that Texas didn't want a chance to come to Iowa and compete against UT now, I see that as a positive.

Exactly what I was wondering, and my thought, "Good riddance!" I would love to see the confused, crushed look on faces throughout the state of Nebraska.

That being said, I don't feel there will be that significant of change all at once. There will be some expanding and reshuffling, but nothing as drastic as 4 superconferences of 16 teams. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

But with all this Texas speculation, who here will be satisfied with anything less than a homerun like TX or ND?

The BCS would have to seriously tweak some of its rules if we did end up with 4 or 5 "superconferences". Just think, if the Big Ten, Pac 10, SEC, and Big 12 basically merged with each other and formed 3 conferences (Big 12 drawing the short stick), then you have the Big East and ACC left. The BCS would have to allow more than two teams per conference into the big games, or they wouldn't fill them. And the non-AQ field would be essentially gone. Boise and at least one of the Utah schools would likely join the Pac 10, if not both Utah and BYU. That would leave TCU, who I think would maybe stay put in the Mountain West, because in this scenario there is no Big 12 for them to join.

Personally, I hope this never happens, I like the CFB landscape basically the way it is. Wouldn't mind adding Texas or Pitt, but I don't want to see the whole landscape flipped upside down.

Texas is not Big 10 country. Texas joining would **** me off. The Big Ten is the northern and eastern midwest. The Big 12 is the western and southern midwest. Let's keep it that way. Nebraska or Pitt would make the most sense, maybe Missouri but Missouri is more of a southern state and the Big 10 is a northern conference.

Latest posts