Vegas Says....

Don't stop trying. He'll eventually give in.

Dont+give+up_dadb9f_5526309.jpg

Ferentz conference record 1999-2017 is 0.56

Iowa is a 2nd tier team. It was under Fry and is under Ferentz.

Compare to Big Ten records since Penn State joined in 1993.
(Conference games only.)

Top tier
Ohio State 0.81
Wisconsin 0.65
Michigan 0.65
Penn State 0.63

2nd tier
Nebraska* 0.58 (since 2011)
Michigan State 0.55
Iowa 0.53

3rd tier
Northwestern 0.46
Purdue 0.40

Bottom tier
Minnesota 0.34
Illinois 0.30
Indiana 0.24

Ferentz could use another surge to get to Hall of Fame status, keeping the team from tanking it on the off years. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska have the pedigree. Wisconsin is the high achiever in the group. Michigan State and Iowa have done rather nicely for themselves at points, and hover around average at other times. Northwestern has pulled itself out the the basement and into respectability. Purdue doesn't more often than does. Urbana-Champaign is ready for Venezuelan league football.

For those of you that think competing for a better spot among the 2nd tier teams is the very definition of mediocrity, nothing KF can do over the next few years is likely to change that. Others among us tend to be a bit grumpy about the state of things, but also realize how quickly you can dig a big hole for yourself in a competitive environment where relatively few teams compete at the top level.

Ferentz conference record 1999-2017 is 0.56

Iowa is a 2nd tier team. It was under Fry and is under Ferentz.

Compare to Big Ten records since Penn State joined in 1993.
(Conference games only.)

Top tier
Ohio State 0.81
Wisconsin 0.65
Michigan 0.65
Penn State 0.63

2nd tier
Nebraska* 0.58 (since 2011)
Michigan State 0.55
Iowa 0.53

3rd tier
Northwestern 0.46
Purdue 0.40

Bottom tier
Minnesota 0.34
Illinois 0.30
Indiana 0.24

Ferentz could use another surge to get to Hall of Fame status, keeping the team from tanking it on the off years. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska have the pedigree. Wisconsin is the high achiever in the group. Michigan State and Iowa have done rather nicely for themselves at points, and hover around average at other times. Northwestern has pulled itself out the the basement and into respectability. Purdue doesn't more often than does. Urbana-Champaign is ready for Venezuelan league football.

For those of you that think competing for a better spot among the 2nd tier teams is the very definition of mediocrity, nothing KF can do over the next few years is likely to change that. Others among us tend to be a bit grumpy about the state of things, but also realize how quickly you can dig a big hole for yourself in a competitive environment where relatively few teams compete at the top level.

I am hoping those numbers are wrong. Seventh place? That’s just sad. Here is one for you to look up. Over that same time span where does Iowa finish as far as head coach salary goes? I of course do not have the answer to that question but if it is in fifth, sixth, or seventh place then I would say we got what we paid for. If it’s first or second place then something is seriously wrong with that picture. Unless your of the opinion that Iowa is shit school and dumpsville. Iowa State fans are not welcomed to express their opinions.

I personally feel Iowa is as good as any University in the B1G as far facilities, funding, and fan support. Ohio State of course holds recruiting prevalence due to state population. Other than that I can see no reason why we can’t finsih second or third over all in the conference on a regular basis. I of course hold Iowa in high regard. Apparently there are some on here who don’t.

Again please tell me those figures are a mistake. Seventh place? Seriously??

Last edited:
Normally I agree with Dean and disagree with TK but winning 50% of your games is absolutely average. 14 teams playing 9 games each year in the B1G means that every year the conference has 126 wins and 126 losses = .500.

Normally I agree with Dean and disagree with TK but winning 50% of your games is absolutely average. 14 teams playing 9 games each year in the B1G means that every year the conference has 126 wins and 126 losses = .500.

Then why are HOF coaches like Alvarez and Saban winning a similar % of their B1G games as Ferentz? Are the both also slightly above average?

Listen the landscape of football isn’t even at all. You put Saban at MSU where he doesn’t have a tremendous name school advantage and he was Ferentz like in his results. Put him at Bama and he is the best coach on the planet hands down. This is why While I hate Dantonio, (I think he is scum), he has done a tremendous job at MSU. That is also why a school like Nebraska who has similar results as Iowa over the last 20 years is a HUGE disappointment, as they have so many built in advantages over Iowa, Northwestern, and even over Wisconsin.

To me the schools that I am jealous of are MSU and Wisconsin. Both are similar to what Iowa is and both have taken much larger steps forward. Schools like Michigan, Nebraska had severely underperformed what their schools advantages they have.

Ferentz has basically held court. Iowa didn’t slip, but hey haven’t taken a step forward from what Fry established. I wish he could have stepped it forward, but he didn’t. I can’t kill Ferentz for the job he has done, but I’m not gonna try to argue he has move the program forward from what Fry established. He is a solid coach who accomplished good things, IMO.

Then why are HOF coaches like Alvarez and Saban winning a similar % of their B1G games as Ferentz? Are the both also slightly above average?

Listen the landscape of football isn’t even at all. You put Saban at MSU where he doesn’t have a tremendous name school advantage and he was Ferentz like in his results. Put him at Bama and he is the best coach on the planet hands down. This is why While I hate Dantonio, (I think he is scum), he has done a tremendous job at MSU. That is also why a school like Nebraska who has similar results as Iowa over the last 20 years is a HUGE disappointment, as they have so many built in advantages over Iowa, Northwestern, and even over Wisconsin.

To me the schools that I am jealous of are MSU and Wisconsin. Both are similar to what Iowa is and both have taken much larger steps forward. Schools like Michigan, Nebraska had severely underperformed what their schools advantages they have.

Ferentz has basically held court. Iowa didn’t slip, but hey haven’t taken a step forward from what Fry established. I wish he could have stepped it forward, but he didn’t. I can’t kill Ferentz for the job he has done, but I’m not gonna try to argue he has move the program forward from what Fry established. He is a solid coach who accomplished good things, IMO.
I'm not arguing about Ferentz being a HOF coach, as I said in my earlier post I almost always agree with you and this is one of those times. I think Ferentz is a HOF coach. There is no parity in CFB and to have the success that Kirk has had at a school like Iowa while doing things the right way makes me proud to be a Hawkeye. There's a plethora of things I wish Kirk would do differently and there are plenty of times he's made mistakes but who hasn't over their 20 year careers?

I'm too lazy to do the math but would 7-5 plus a bowl win get Kirk to 60% as a head coach? If so, bingo, he's in the HOF I guess.
No, doing that would result in an overall winning percentage of 56.9% and a winning percentage at Iowa of 59.6%. If the 60% requirement applies to Kirk, I'm sure they'd count his time at Maine as well.

I am hoping those numbers are wrong. Seventh place? That’s just sad. Here is one for you to look up. Over that same time span where does Iowa finish as far as head coach salary goes? I of course do not have the answer to that question but if it is in fifth, sixth, or seventh place then I would say we got what we paid for. If it’s first or second place then something is seriously wrong with that picture. Unless your of the opinion that Iowa is shit school and dumpsville. Iowa State fans are not welcomed to express their opinions.

I personally feel Iowa is as good as any University in the B1G as far facilities, funding, and fan support. Ohio State of course holds recruiting prevalence due to state population. Other than that I can see no reason why we can’t finsih second or third over all in the conference on a regular basis. I of course hold Iowa in high regard. Apparently there are some on here who don’t.

Again please tell me those figures are a mistake. Seventh place? Seriously??

From 1993 to 2000 Iowa didn't do particularly well against conference opponents. Only 1996 has a winning record.

1993 3 - 5
1994 3 - 4 - 1
1995 4 - 4
1996 6 - 2
1997 4 - 4
1998 2 - 6
1999 0 - 8
2000 3 - 5

Their record against .500 and above conference teams over this 8 year stretch was 7 - 29 :confused:

From 1993 to 2000 Iowa didn't do particularly well against conference opponents. Only 1996 has a winning record.

1993 3 - 5
1994 3 - 4 - 1
1995 4 - 4
1996 6 - 2
1997 4 - 4
1998 2 - 6
1999 0 - 8
2000 3 - 5

Their record against .500 and above conference teams over this 8 year stretch was 7 - 29 :confused:

Yikes!!! :(

A successful and wise AD would do every thing in their power to change that. A successful and wise administration would ensure the right AD is in place to do that and if not make the necessary changes to correct the problem. A wise and successful board of trustees would make sure the right administrators are in place to make sure that happens.

An angry and upset fan base with torches and pitchforks would light a fire under the azz of the board of trustees.

I suspect there is a lot of money floating around to keep all of those mentioned above happy with the status quo................. well except for us fans. :mad:

Yikes!!! :(
A successful and wise administration would ensure the right AD is in place to do that and if not make the necessary changes to correct the problem. A wise and successful board of trustees would make sure the right administrators are in place to make sure that happens.
Iowa is a research university/med school/law school first, and athletics is a blip on the radar. The U's endowment is $1.4 billion compared to the entire athletics budget of $117~ish million. The BOT, president, etc, just want an AD who is scandal-free. I thought the Greasebomb thing would have been enough to send him packing, but alas...

Bottom line is the admin and trustees don't give two shits about winning; it makes no difference to the school's bottom line and many of them probably have never watched sports a day in their lives.

I digress, but I think most if not all of Nebraska's natural advantages are now gone. They still have a rabid fanbase, but I think it could be legitimately argued that has served them poorly in various ways. I think MSU and Wiscy are deserving of jealousy like you said. The others would be like being jealous of Kansas in basketball or something, they are just operating at a higher level.

Iowa is a research university/med school/law school first, and athletics is a blip on the radar. The U's endowment is $1.4 billion compared to the entire athletics budget of $117~ish million. The BOT, president, etc, just want an AD who is scandal-free. I thought the Greasebomb thing would have been enough to send him packing, but alas...

Bottom line is the admin and trustees don't give two shits about winning; it makes no difference to the school's bottom line and many of them probably have never watched sports a day in their lives.

That’s what I had suspected.

NERDS!!! :(

Last edited:

Latest posts