Vandenberg Invited to Combine...

I would have been shocked if JVB wasn't invited to the combine. He has a live arm and is very smart. GD made his season a bust not JVB. As for KD, you have to be able to get of the ball and create separation in the NFL. He struggled to do it in the B10. Just saying.

I was told by a former Iowa player who has NFL contacts, that he was told by an NFL scout of over 25 years that JVB would be invited to the combine and if he had a good combine could be a late round draft pick.

Their reasoning was:

1) This was the slowest Iowa team in 25+ years.

2) Iowa had absolutely no skill players for JVB to throw the ball to.

3) They offensive system that was implemented at Iowa was an absolute joke. Especially given the fact that it is predicated on speed and skill players, of which Iowa had zero.

Scouts recognize this, and also recognize that JVB had success in his previous two years.

I was surprised to hear this, but it does make some sense, and comes from people in the NFL who kno what they are looking at and for.

I graded/projected JVB as a 4th-5th round pick coming into this year. Figured he'd have a good senior season, and build some momentum for the draft; obviously didn't happen though. In a workout context JVB is likely to perform very well as far as the throwing goes. He'd fit as a developmental prospect for a team that wants a non-running QB. His biggest issues are accuracy on the move and outside the hashes. Most teams aren't likely to have a draft-able grade on him at this point, but it only takes one team.

I graded/projected JVB as a 4th-5th round pick coming into this year. Figured he'd have a good senior season, and build some momentum for the draft; obviously didn't happen though. In a workout context JVB is likely to perform very well as far as the throwing goes. He'd fit as a developmental prospect for a team that wants a non-running QB. His biggest issues are accuracy on the move and outside the hashes. Most teams aren't likely to have a draft-able grade on him at this point, but it only takes one team.

So basically you are saying that minus the bad senior season, he is looking at the same situation as Stanzi?

I would have liked to have seen Stanzi play in the GD offense that Vandy did last year. Then I wonder how people would have felt about Stanzi.

I was told by a former Iowa player who has NFL contacts, that he was told by an NFL scout of over 25 years that JVB would be invited to the combine and if he had a good combine could be a late round draft pick.

Their reasoning was:

3) They offensive system that was implemented at Iowa was an absolute joke. Especially given the fact that it is predicated on speed and skill players, of which Iowa had zero.

Scouts recognize this, and also recognize that JVB had success in his previous two years.

I was surprised to hear this, but it does make some sense, and comes from people in the NFL who kno what they are looking at and for.

"Their reasoning was:

3) They offensive system that was implemented at Iowa was an absolute joke. Especially given the fact that it is predicated on speed and skill players, of which Iowa had zero."

And this all happened while the head coach was in his 14th year at the school. If I try to realize this too hard I start to deny reality too. I just can't fathom that a team can have this bad of season with a coach in his 14th year.

I mean, look at those three bullet points above. How!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How, can you be ok with ferentz still being coach?????? And don't give me the line that "well, he's gonna be here no matter what cause of the contract."

I have said they will win five games this season. I am doubting that now. The program is worse that I thought.

FreedComanche

"Their reasoning was:

3) They offensive system that was implemented at Iowa was an absolute joke. Especially given the fact that it is predicated on speed and skill players, of which Iowa had zero."

And this all happened while the head coach was in his 14th year at the school. If I try to realize this too hard I start to deny reality too. I just can't fathom that a team can have this bad of season with a coach in his 14th year.

I mean, look at those three bullet points above. How!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How, can you be ok with ferentz still being coach?????? And don't give me the line that "well, he's gonna be here no matter what cause of the contract."

I have said they will win five games this season. I am doubting that now. The program is worse that I thought.

FreedComanche

Don't take my comments as my opinion. I am simply telling you what I was told by someone with NFL contacts that is a lot smarter then I. Because I agree with you. There is no reason that a coach in their 14th year should be completely rebuilding and it boggles my mind that we were as bad as we were with the schedule we had. 5 games is probably a stretch for next year. I don't see it getting better any time soon.

The bigger story is two players invited. Wowsers

Other teams with 2 players invited:
Baylor
Boise State
BYU
Colorado
Duke
Florida International
Fresno State
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Kansas
Miami-Fl
Purdue
San Diego State
San Jose State
Southern Miss
Utah
Utah State

But, Michigan only had 1 player invited (Denard Robinson).

Latest posts