Van Coleman Updates Jok's morning performance at NBA Players Camp

Interesting quote here from TOS about Jok's injury and recovery. I myself assumed that the current healing process was from a knee injury.

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

"Peter has not had problems with both knees or multiple knee problems. It has been only ONE knee problem and the knee is 100%...it is the quad that he is still rehabbing and it is close to 90%. He tore a tendon in the knee close to two years ago at an type of all-star event and played through it his sophomore year and had surgery last June. He is very close to being the Pete of old, and I for one, could not be happier for him!"

Don't know who that person is, but Horner said himelf that he was recovering from the tendon surgery and that he was still learning how to trust his knee.

Don't know who that person is, but Horner said himelf that he was recovering from the tendon surgery and that he was still learning how to trust his knee.

As someone who recently had knee surgery the quad and hamstring rehab makes sense. What happens when you hurt a knee is that you start not fully straightening the knee and you don't put your full weight on it (i.e. favoring the knee). When you do that you stop using the quads and hamstrings to move the knee and you lose strength and flexibility in those areas. The bulk of my rehab focuses on rebuilding the function, flexibility, and strength of the quads, hamstring, and calf muscles.

i also noticed in the video of the Urbandale tournament that was recently posted that for the 1st time in 2 years Jok was not wearing bulky knee braces.

That is a very good sign that the knees are nearly 100% with regard to stability and strength.

Last edited:
I think way too many on here think that you need NBA athleticism to succeed in college BB. Marble can get to the hole, create his shot, and finish. He has a nice pullup game, and hopefully he can start hitting the 3 more consistently. He doesn't have elite explosiveness, or athleticism, but he had very solid SO year. I think he will have a lot of success this year and next also. Even if Jok doesn't have elite explosiveness, he can still be a very good/great college BB player.

The college game is NOTHING like the NBA. Many excellent college BB players don't translate to the NBA, but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent college players.

I don't think anyone is saying that you have to have NBA athleticism to be good in college.

Some people are acting like Iowa needs to jump all over this guy because of how high he was once rated as a young teen.

But if a guy was once rated that high allot of it was because of athleticism as well as skill. If the athleticism is gone than that potential is much lower.

I don't think anyone is saying that you have to have NBA athleticism to be good in college.

Some people are acting like Iowa needs to jump all over this guy because of how high he was once rated as a young teen.

But if a guy was once rated that high allot of it was because of athleticism as well as skill. If the athleticism is gone than that potential is much lower.

You think his athleticism is now GONE? He is coming back from injury and isn't 100% yet. At least wait until he is fully healthy, before you declare his athleticism GONE....:rolleyes:

the problem is he has been recovering for 2+ yrs. and because of that we dont know what his athleticism ceiling is. for all we know he has already reached it. or maybe he hasnt. that is the question about jok.

the problem is he has been recovering for 2+ yrs. and because of that we dont know what his athleticism ceiling is. for all we know he has already reached it. or maybe he hasnt. that is the question about jok.

He has not been "recovering" for 2+ years. He hurt his knee late in the summer/early fall of 2010 but decided to "play through it" that winter in high school ball. Then he tried rest and rehab to try to avoid surgery the next spring. Almost exactly 1 year ago he actually had the surgery. He rushed back to play high school ball again and that probably delayed his full recovery.

He has not been "recovering" for 2+ years. He hurt his knee late in the summer/early fall of 2010 but decided to "play through it" that winter in high school ball. Then he tried rest and rehab to try to avoid surgery the next spring. Almost exactly 1 year ago he actually had the surgery. He rushed back to play high school ball again and that probably delayed his full recovery.

Exactly.

the problem is he has been recovering for 2 yrs. and because of that we dont know what his athleticism ceiling is. for all we know he has already reached it. or maybe he hasnt. that is the question about jok.
He has not been "recovering=" for 2 years. He hurt his knee late in the summer/early fall of 2010 but decided to="play through it=" that winter in high school ball. Then he tried rest and rehab to try to avoid surgery the next spring. Almost exactly 1 year ago he actually had the surgery. He rushed back to play high school ball again and that probably delayed his full recovery.
=

i would say not being 100% for 2 or more yrs is recovering for that time. it is summer 2012 and injured in summer 2010 so that would be about 2 yrs. sorry i was a little over on the time frame. but it is still a long recovery. playing through an injury means you arent fully recovered so then he tried to rest and rehab and still wasnt fully recovered. then got surgery and wasnt fully recovered and played again...still playing through the recovery.

are you getting the picture that he isnt fully recovered yet and it has been about 2 yrs. i have talked myself into that iowa should get him. i was just highlighting why some people are wary of doing it. i get why they are but at the least he gives us a taller version of ogelsby. and i think jo will be the biggest jump in contribution and really surprise people with how good he is on both the offensive and defensive ends this yr.

There's a flipside to this, though-- the possibility that by being robbed of some of his athleticism Jok has been spending the last year developing actual basketball skill. It's a mixed blessing for high school players that are bigger and quicker than everyone else at their position-- they dominate games and make college coaches drool, but they may never be forced to develop actual skills, and when they run into guys with similar size and talent in college, they're screwed. That summer league video isn't going to tell us much on that score, but the fact that Jok has an actual polished step-back jumper is interesting.

=

i would say not being 100% for 2 or more yrs is recovering for that time. it is summer 2012 and injured in summer 2010 so that would be about 2 yrs. sorry i was a little over on the time frame. but it is still a long recovery. playing through an injury means you arent fully recovered so then he tried to rest and rehab and still wasnt fully recovered. then got surgery and wasnt fully recovered and played again...still playing through the recovery.

are you getting the picture that he isnt fully recovered yet and it has been about 2 yrs. i have talked myself into that iowa should get him. i was just highlighting why some people are wary of doing it. i get why they are but at the least he gives us a taller version of ogelsby. and i think jo will be the biggest jump in contribution and really surprise people with how good he is on both the offensive and defensive ends this yr.

He's been recovering for a year. He played through it for the first year before having surgery. That sounds more agravatory than rehabilitating to me.

i can agree with your assessment tm. the key point is he has 2 yrs where he hasnt been deemed 100%. that is tough to project when players have had to deal with that. just think about eric may. he has had 2 yrs below 100% and predictions on him are all over the place. i personally think jok right now is bettter than may but it will be hard to project him with all the time not being 100%.

Latest posts